SASS Wire Forum

Smith & Wesson

Fence Cutter

The SW22 Victory semi-auto.

Online reviews from mysterious characters have been on both sides of the fence......

Anybody here have an honest opinion?

Cutter,

I don't own one but a fellow Cowboy shooter, SLATER, owns 2 of them.  He really likes them but mainly

because they can be customized.   Actually, I think you can get one directly from S&W that has been thru

their 'Performance Center'.

There are a few aftermarket custom parts you can buy to enhance its looks and performance.

When my friend shot it before any enhancements were added, it worked good and shot very well.

..........Widder

The S&W Victory works well, but the Ruger MK IV 22/45 is the show stopper in the 22 LR full size pistol field.  The Performance Center guns start at nearly $600, and go up from there.

5 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

The S&W Victory works well, but the Ruger MK IV 22/45 is the show stopper in the 22 LR full size pistol field.  The Performance Center guns start at nearly $600, and go up from there.

My VFW post raffled of a 22/45 last year. I bought a bunch of tickets. Really wanted it.

Didn’t win though.:D

45 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Mechanically looks okay.

Does not fit my hand.

Not used as a rental at either of the two local indoor ranges (they have Rugers and Brownings).

I'm with you. The grip shape just feels wrong to me.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

My VFW post raffled of a 22/45 last year. I bought a bunch of tickets. Really wanted it.

Didn’t win though.:D

I've got 2 of the new Ruger MK IV's with the standard grip.  Both have been customized into a Volquartsen 'Scorpion'.

I also have a S&W model 41.

I'll take the Scorpions have been my all time favorites.

I might add that I've owned about 6-7 model 41's and a High Standard Victor and loved them all.

But the Scorpions seem to be the Caddy of .22 pistols, in my opinion.

..........Widder

Another fun looking gun we can't have in California.  :(

Can't have the Ruger Mk IV, either.  'Tain't safe, don'tcha know... won't micro-stamp the spent cartridge.  <_<

6 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

won't micro-stamp the spent cartridge.

No gun micro stamps the cartridge...but that doesn’t matter to Scum. 

18 hours ago, Fence Cutter said:

The SW22 Victory semi-auto.

Online reviews from mysterious characters have been on both sides of the fence......

Anybody here have an honest opinion?

I've had one for over two years now.  It's a great gun, easy to modify if you want to, and works great as is. 

I bought the Tandemkross trigger kit for it and that reduced it to around 3.5 lbs. 

I used a Volquartsen carbon fiber barrel for a year, but I found that a. it hardly improved the accuracy,

and b. Using red dot sights slowed me down for steel plate shooting and the green fiber sights work faster (for me)

so I went back to the original barrel. 

It is extremely accurate with any quality .22 ammo.

The grip shape takes a bit of getting used to, but there aftermarket target style grips available if you'd like.

Disassembly is easy and makes cleaning fast and convenient - two screws - one to hold the barrel to the bolt assembly,

and one to hold the whole assembly to the frame.  Use a drop of blue locktite when re-assembling and it will not come

loose in the field.  I say that because some folks like to over torque the screws to ensure they stay tight, but stripping

the screw hole threads  will really suck!

I bought it with the threaded bbl, as wanted the freedom to put a can on it someday.

A good gun at a great price point.

Shadow Catcher

I've had one for a couple of years.  I bought it because it was available with a threaded barrel at a better price than any Ruger I could find.  I was desperate to play with my new suppressor that I had waited "forever" for the tax stamp to finally arrive.

It shoots well.  Yes, the grip is different than my Rugers, but I'm still very happy with my purchase. 

Archived