SASS Wire Forum

"For want of a nail ..." -- how about a machine screw?

Amazing how something that small becomes so suddenly important!

I found a flat head fine thread machine screw on the floor.

No idea where it came from.

I set it beside the toaster oven with intent to transfer it to the screw jar downstairs, and of course, because I placed it right where I'd know where it was, it got moved (the wife said it's on her coffee table, in front of her couch ... which means it's buried under three months' receipts, magazines and paper napkins!)
Found where the silly thing fell out.

I could not get the back patio door to latch.

Wouldn't line up ... okay, it's twenty years old, it's bound to have some wear.  Push, pull, slam, wiggle, shake, no help.

Bent over and peered through the bottom of my bifocals and ... wait a minute ... there ought to be a screw here, it's allowing the mechanism to fall back and to the side.

No wonder it won't latch.

Shut door, block with a convenient length of 2x4, head for the hardware store with intent to get an assortment of approximates as my eye tends to lose calibration on these matters.

They had one and only one diameter that looked right; fortunately they had two lengths, I chose the shorter of the two, it worked.

Operational security maintained for a total of eleven cents cash money.

"For want of a nail a horseshoe was lost."
I wasn't about to let an eleven cent screw's absence cost me much more than the horseshoe hung points-up over my workbench!

Here is the verse:

We Are Only as Strong as Our Weakest Link

“For want of a nail, the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe, the horse was lost.
For want of a horse, the rider was lost.
For want of a rider, the battle was lost.
For want of a battle, the kingdom was lost,

And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.”

NOTE:

“This ancient proverb, which can be traced back to the 1390s and has been used by a variety of sources from Benjamin Franklin and nursery rhymes to philosophers and poets, all of whom communicated the same intent:  We’re only as strong as our weakest link.“

Cat Brules

15 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Amazing how something that small becomes so suddenly important!

I found a flat head fine thread machine screw on the floor.

No idea where it came from.

I set it beside the toaster oven with intent to transfer it to the screw jar downstairs, and of course, because I placed it right where I'd know where it was, it got moved (the wife said it's on her coffee table, in front of her couch ... which means it's buried under three months' receipts, magazines and paper napkins!)
Found where the silly thing fell out.

I could not get the back patio door to latch.

Wouldn't line up ... okay, it's twenty years old, it's bound to have some wear.  Push, pull, slam, wiggle, shake, no help.

Bent over and peered through the bottom of my bifocals and ... wait a minute ... there ought to be a screw here, it's allowing the mechanism to fall back and to the side.

No wonder it won't latch.

Shut door, block with a convenient length of 2x4, head for the hardware store with intent to get an assortment of approximates as my eye tends to lose calibration on these matters.

They had one and only one diameter that looked right; fortunately they had two lengths, I chose the shorter of the two, it worked.

Operational security maintained for a total of eleven cents cash money.

"For want of a nail a horseshoe was lost."
I wasn't about to let an eleven cent screw's absence cost me much more than the horseshoe hung points-up over my workbench!

You can make a simple story so interesting!! You do have a gift! ;)

Archived