SASS Wire Forum

Marine Corps has one-year hitches?

Alpo

Got an email this morning. Talking about some group in Virginia called boogaloo.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/boogaloo-black-lives-matter-groups-appear-armed-protest/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20200710_FridayDigest_286&utm_campaign=/digest/boogaloo-black-lives-matter-groups-appear-armed-protest/

I found a couple of statements in that article very interesting.

>The boogaloo contingent was led by a 19-year-old named Mike Dunn, according to reporting from NPR...<

>Mike Dunn, a marine veteran and the organizer of the event, talked to his group after the confrontation explained what happened.<

Curious about how you can be a 19 year old Marine veteran, I did a web search on Mike Dunn boogaloo boys.

While this page appears to have been taken down, the pertinent part still showed on DuckDuckGo.

IMG_20200710_071138.jpg.d71e3f8b94347d95ca4a29985d9133d5.jpg

"... hasn't held a job for longer than a year..."

That would seem to mean that he was no older than 18 when he became a Marine veteran.

I be puzzled.

A veteran is anyone’s with an honorary discharge from active service. Having been National Guard I don’t  consider myself a veteran 

Does inactive reserve also count?  I only served three-and-a-half years active duty due to MacNamara giving six-months' early-outs if you weren't going career-reserve active. Total vulnerability for recall was seven years!   Fortunately, we didn't have any combat.  If we had, there would have been a bunch of radioactive craters on the North American continent!  My job was to see that those "long-range morters" were pointed at the target on the other side of the planet, to keep the "Other guy's" hands off their launch keys by being sure our "capsule drivers" could have fired if the C-in-C so ordered. 

2 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

A veteran is anyone’s with an honorary discharge from active service. Having been National Guard I don’t  consider myself a veteran 

I disagree if you took an oath of service, trained and made yourself available for call-up. And wasn’t a discharge involved for your separation?

3 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

What’s an Honorary discharge? ;)

4 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Correct.  A veteran has served for FOUR YEARS with no combat *or*  one tour in combat.

I’ve not seen that definition before. Millions of 2 year draftees and 3 year enlistees might disagree.

7 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

What’s an Honorary discharge? ;)

Sorry of course I meant honorable but the predictive spelling didn’t see it that way 

57 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Sorry of course I meant honorable but the predictive spelling didn’t see it that way 

Dang computers.Never had this problem with a Smith Corona.

(The typewriter, not the gun)  ;)

As one who served two years eleven months ten day of a three year enlistment, I consider myself a veteran.

i did not want to add to this worm’s soapbox earlier so I didn’t post this link but he is promoting the raising of militias in Virginia as a “Marine Corps veteran”

Anybody want to out him?

https://godanriver.com/news/local/amid-push-for-gun-control-laws-in-general-assembly-dozens-rally-to-join-militia-for/article_12752091-8db2-5381-b797-18882d156391.html

5 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

As one who served two years eleven months ten day of a three year enlistment, I consider myself a veteran.

i did not want to add to this worm’s soapbox earlier so I didn’t post this link but he is promoting the raising of militias in Virginia as a “Marine Corps veteran”

Anybody want to out him?

https://godanriver.com/news/local/amid-push-for-gun-control-laws-in-general-assembly-dozens-rally-to-join-militia-for/article_12752091-8db2-5381-b797-18882d156391.html

There's a Vet website that loves to out posers but I can't remember the name right now.

Mmm ... I one time interviewed an 18 year old who claimed 21 years' work experience ... 

Utah Bob does know his history!

The "Smith" in Smith-Corona typewriters was Lyman Cornelius Smith.

Lyman Cornelius made shotguns as well as typewriters.
One of the nicest double guns I've ever hunted grouse with, a gun I hope to inherit someday, is an L.C. Smith.

Here’s that website. I remembered it after some Tequila. :D

https://valorguardians.com

0EB3EBA6-E3A8-461A-BAAA-757E2EEF333D.jpeg

Definition is not a clear cut as most would beleive.

What is a Veteran? The Legal Definition from VA.org

What is a Veteran? Title 38 of the Code of Federal Regulations defines a veteran as “a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable.” This definition explains that any individual that completed a service for any branch of armed forces classifies as a veteran as long as they were not dishonorably discharged. However, with regard to applicable benefits, other considerations are important and will be covered in later sections.

References: For more information on the definition of the term Veteran for purposes of compensation; 

Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) and death pension, see 38 CFR 3.1(d), and Paulson v. Brown, 7 Vet.App. 466, 470 (1995), and groups approved for Veteran status under Public Law (PL) 95-202 and 106-259, see M21-1, Part III, Subpart iii, 2.K.3.

III.iii.2.K.3.a.  Listing of Approved Groups Under PL 95-202

The table below lists
  • the groups approved for Veteran status under Public Law (PL) 95-202, Section 401, the GI Bill Improvement Act of 1977, and
  • the date on which Veteran status was granted.
Name of Group
Date Approved
Quartermaster Corps Keswick Crew on Corregidor, World War II
02/07/1984
U.S. Civilians of the American Field Service (AFS) Who Served Overseas Operationally in World War I (WWI) During the Period 08/31/1917 to 01/01/1918
08/30/1990
U.S. Civilians of the AFS Who Served Overseas Under U.S. Armies and U.S. Army Groups in World War II (WWII) During the Period 12/07/1941 through 05/08/1945
08/30/1990
U.S. Civilian Volunteers Who Actively Participated in the Defense of Bataan
02/07/1984
U.S. Merchant Seamen Who Served on Blockships in Support of Operation Mulberry
10/18/1985
Civilian Personnel Assigned to the Secret Intelligence Element of the OSS
12/27/1982
Engineer Field Clerks in WWI
08/31/1979
Quartermaster Corps Female Clerical Employees Serving With the AEF
01/22/1981
Reconstruction Aides and Dietitians in WWI
07/06/1981
Signal Corps Female Telephone Operators in WWI
05/15/1979
Women's Army Auxiliary Corps
03/18/1980
Male Civilian Ferry Pilots
07/17/1981
U.S. Civilian Employees of American Airlines Who Served Overseas as a Result of American Airlines' contract with the Air Transport Command During the Period 12/14/1941 through 08/14/1945
10/05/1990
Women's Air Forces Service Pilots
11/23/1977
Civilian Employees, PNAB, Who Actively Participated in the Defense of Wake Island
01/22/1981
Guam Combat Patrol
05/10/1983
Wake Island Defenders From Guam
04/07/1982
U.S. Merchant Seamen Who Served in Active Oceangoing Service from 12/07/1941 to 08/15/1945
01/19/1988
Civil Service Crew members Aboard U.S. Army Transport Service and Naval Transportation Service Vessels in Oceangoing Service
01/19/1988

Notes:
  • VA has no authority to make active duty determinations for individuals of any of these groups. Before applying for VA benefits, the individual must apply for a Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214) by completing a DD Form 2168, Application for Discharge of Member or Survivor of Member of Group Certified to Have Performed Active Duty with the Armed Forces of the United States.
  • Instructions for completing the form, including mailing addresses, are contained on the back of the form. If the appropriate service department determines the individual has provided active military service, the service department will issue a discharge certificate.
  • On May 26, 2004, the Secretary of the Air Force denied “active duty” status for the U.S. Civilian Crewmembers of the Flotilla Alaska Barge and Transport Company who served overseas in Vietnam for the period of April 1966 through April 1975.
Important:  Once Veteran status has been established, any available service records may be requested from National Personnel Records Center through PIES.

Reference:  For information on the correct address codes to use to obtain Merchant Mariner records, see M21-1, Part III, Subpart iii, 2.F.3.

III.iii.2.K.3.b.  Listing of Approved Groups Under PL 106-259

Effective August 9, 2000, PL 106-259 established Veteran status for individuals who participated in the Alaska Territorial Guard (ATG) during WWII and who were honorably discharged from service.

Notes
  • AK-DMVA Form ATG-214 must be completed for individuals
    • seeking to establish ATG status, and/or
    • requesting an official copy of his/her Transcript of Military Records.
  • To obtain a copy of AK-DMVA Form ATG-214, send a request to:
Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
Office of the Adjutant General
P.O. Box 5800
Fort Richardson, Alaska 99505-6003

Archived