SASS Wire Forum

Tales from Behind the Plate

I was umpiring my 6th game tonight; we are working single umpire games to help with "social distancing," so I was behind the plate.  The division was 8-9 year-olds.  

Runner on first, 1 out.  

The runner took off for second just as the batter swung (league modifications require him to wait until the ball reaches the plate before he can leave the bag).  The batter *barely* made contact with the ball; I heard a faint *ting* from the metal bat, and the ball went sharply and directly into the catcher's glove.  I GAVE THE MECHANIC FOR A FOUL TIP (swiping the back of my hand) AND SIGNALED STRIKE.  

The runner who was stealing made it to 2nd without the catcher even throwing the ball.  Then the DEFENSIVE ASSISTANT COACH started yelling for the runner to return to first.  He was yelling at the opposing team's player (who was 8 or 9 years old!), but I intervened.  "Coach, the ball is live on a foul tip.  He stole the base and gets to stay there."

This ASSISTANT coach stormed out of the dugout and started shouting at me about how a foul ball is dead and the runner must return (isn't a head coach supposed to handle appeals?)

I replied, "Coach, the ball is live on a foul tip.  A foul tip is different than a foul ball."  

He didn't use any of the "magic words," but kept shouting at me about how the ball was dead on a foul ball, not realizing the difference from a foul tip.  I told him, "Coach, we're not going to argue about this anymore," and when he kept yelling, I finally said, "Coach, you're restricted to the dugout for the remainder of the game."  Then I turned away from him and stood behind home plate.  He went into the dugout like he was told.  In baseball speak, that means he was mere seconds away from getting ejected.  

I probably could have ejected him, but I'm satisfied with how I handled it.  Between 1/2 innings, he was in the dugout pouring through the rule book.  Then he yelled out to me, "Hey blue, come here, I want to show you this."

I said, "Coach, we're still not going to do this."  

"I want to show you this."

"Coach, stop.  That's enough, not another word."  Undoubtedly, he was looking up the rule on how a foul ball is dead.  BUT IT WAS A FOUL TIP!  

I probably could have ejected him then, too.  But I didn't.  

When that same team was on defense again, the head coach (NOT the assistant coach I had restricted to the dugout) came out with a catcher's mitt to warm up his pitcher.  The catcher was still getting his gear on.  As he walked past me, he mumbled, "You could learn a thing or two" under his breath.

I chose to ignore it.  I wasn't rattled by the assistant coach's idiotic behavior, but I have to admit the head coach carrying on the argument an inning later made me angry.  I almost gave him the heave-ho, but I chose to ignore it instead.  Here was my reasoning:

1- No one else in the ball park heard it, whether players, fans, or coaches.  I figured it would appear that I was taking revenge on the team for a different coach's behavior, since no one else knew that the head coach had just lipped off to me, or that I was hot-headed.  

2- I figured if he needed to vent frustration, fine.  That comment was personal, but not severe, and if saying it let him vent his frustration then perhaps he wouldn't feel the need to express himself anymore.  Apparently I was right, because he didn't bother me the rest of the game.  

3- As a new umpire, I didn't want to make a name for myself as being "that guy" who escalates things.  I thought my approach served to de-escalate the situation.  

Should I have ejected the HEAD COACH for making that comment?  I'm satisfied with how I handled the assistant coach who thinks a foul tip and a foul ball are the same thing, but what about the head coach who mumbled the insult under his breath?

And people wonder why we have the whiney bitchy so-called adults we have today...kids learn by example. 

God bless you for doing that job, Cyrus. I do not have the proper demeanor for doing that. 

Been there, done that, and got the t-shirt, maybe 2.  You did your job properly. Take it as experience and move on.

I agree that you need to not second guess yourself. I think I might have told both coaches I would discuss it civilly after the game, if they would like. Show the rule, explain the rule, and ask if there were any questions on what you've they've learned.

You were 100% correct. I never was an ump but I've played enough baseball, sandlot and softball and I watch baseball all the time and that was the correct call!;) A foul tip in the glove is a strike!

I had an awkward interaction with a youth team coach while serving as a ref. Could’ve had him ejected, but decided against it. The kids ultimately had the better experience. 

You made the right call. Don’t give it a second thought. 

Enjoy your weekend. 

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

And people wonder why we have the whiney bitchy so-called adults we have today...kids learn by example. 

God bless you for doing that job, Cyrus. I do not have the proper demeanor for doing that. 

That is why so places around here have moved parents sitting to the out fields....Helps to keep games under control...Coaches well....Another story....

Texas Lizard

That comment from the head coach was disappointing, and I can see how that would be frustrating.

You decided that the controversey would end, and it did.

Sometimes you win buy not having the last word.

Just like this.

I have a different opinion:

I believe you should have told the “head coach” that he and his team were on very thin ice, and if either he or the assistant coach spoke another word to you, or raised any clamor at all, from that moment forward, to game’s end, that they would forfeit the game for their kids.  Those two (and those like them) do not care about or understand noble gestures; there would be no good reason to extend them. 

Cat Brules

15 minutes ago, Trooper Ozzy said:

Know the rules, make your call, move on. No explanation needed. Remember the important ones that are watching you are the 8 year olds. Even they can see an a$$hat at that age. 

Well now, that’s true ya know........no question.

CB

I believe I would have reacted the same........almost.

I can see meowndangself replying..... "What I need to learn is how to understand WHY coaches don't know the rules".

..........Widder

Ah the joys of Little League! 
ida let it go as well. But I might have told him it’s against the rules for an adult to warm up a pitcher. :P

Of all the calls I was involved in, I suppose I remember this one the most.  It was girls’ softball, I did mens’ three levels of girls’, 8-10,11-13,13-16, and special ed. The 13-16s were girls who didn’t make the high school team.

i was also ass’t coach for an 11-13 team and coach for an 8-10 team.  Most of the time the umpires for the younger girls’ games would be a player from the 13-16s.

in this event I was ass’t coaching for the Robins, I.e., first base coach. There were no runners on base. Batter hit the ball and took off for first base, the ball came down in front of her. The 14 yo umpire asked me if the ball hit the runner. I missed my chance for a teaching opportunity here and just said “no”.  In reality it may have hit her in foul territory on her ...., let’s just say that she was a 13 yr old girl. She would not have been out of course, but I did not want to cause any embarrassment.

Pat's right - kids learn by example & the other coach did not provide a good one.  I feel so blessed I did not see this kind of crap when the grandsons were playing.  Well, there was that one opposing team whose mamas needed to go sit down and be quiet ( they made LOUD disparaging remarks against our boys, which is unacceptable when you're dealing with kids trying their best).  But generally speaking I found the kids, their parents, and the coaching staff to be good kinds of people.  And the umps were professional and largely unbiased - something else kids need to see in action.  I distinctly remember Grandson #2's dissertation on "My Happy Place" as the baseball field. 

He also wrote an ode to my beef stroganoff, but that's a whole 'nother discussion. 

One of these days when it seems appropriate, I will tell you my all-time favorite baseball story.

You made the proper call and finished it off by being the only adult on the diamond, good on you now forget it!  SCJ

Don’t worry Cyrus.  That pair of coaches will probably give you more opportunities to eject them!

:D

You handled it well.  

On 7/10/2020 at 7:11 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I believe I would have reacted the same........almost.

I can see meowndangself replying..... "What I need to learn is how to understand WHY coaches don't know the rules".

..........Widder

When I shared the story with one of my umpiring mentors, he told me, "par for the course.  In the younger levels, the coaches hardly ever know the rules as well as they think they do."

On 7/10/2020 at 8:45 PM, Hoss said:

Ah the joys of Little League! 
ida let it go as well. But I might have told him it’s against the rules for an adult to warm up a pitcher. :P

Little League has its own rule book but this was a developmental league.  They use OBR with some age-bracket modifications.  So coaches are allowed to warm up pitchers when the catcher is getting his gear on.

Archived