SASS Wire Forum

:FlagAm: Over the years, I have loaded "special" BP shells for the redhead to be used at times like July4th, Labor Day etc.  This has been done substituting colored foil confetti in place of the lubed wad I normally use.  For July4th, I use red, silver and blue stars.  The overall effect is great with no ill effects on the load itself or the barrels of the SXS.  The problem is the mess this procedure makes on the 366 progressive press and surrounding area.  I have been using a measuring spoon to dip into the glitter stuff and then dump into the hull at the seating station prior to placing the 1OZ cup from a plastic wad on top.  Glitter stuff ends up going EVERYWHERE!  I break down the press to clean afterwards and sweep and sweep the floor to clean up.  

Any ideas how to achieve the end results without all the mess?  With all my idle time now, my brain goes in tangents.  I did think about using a tissue type paper to form a wad of glitter sealed with water glass.  Paper would go away down the barrels.

Thanks for any ideas.

Regards,

Chas B:blink: 

I’ve been there, and got the T-shirt to prove it!  It was so bad, thought about calling my loading building.... glitter gulch:lol:

PS...... just keep glitter off the Vette!

Chas, your loads may be perfectly safe, but just fyi there was a thread on fancy shotgun loads a few years ago and one person mentioned that a shooter had put glitter in their shells, and the wind blew it and some glitter sliced the eyeball of another shooter who required medical attention.  Years ago I had tried red glitter in BP shells, and really couldn't see it much when firing, but after reading of that incident I will not try it again.  Something to consider.

Look on the positive side.  If you get glitter all over you from reloading, you're wife will get used to it and never know you've been to the strip joint.

Put the glitter into a powder flask like the cap ‘n’ ballers use!  You can dispense the glitter easily in measured amounts!

17 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Put the glitter into a powder flask like the cap ‘n’ ballers use!  You can dispense the glitter easily in measured amounts!

:FlagAm: I tried that already.  To come down the spout of the flask, the glitter has to be too small to be seen and with no weight, the glitter just hangs up in the flask spout.

Chas B 

57 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Look on the positive side.  If you get glitter all over you from reloading, you're wife will get used to it and never know you've been to the strip joint.

:FlagAm: And people say, "Marshal, how can you be that funny?"

Chas B:P

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Chas, your loads may be perfectly safe, but just fyi there was a thread on fancy shotgun loads a few years ago and one person mentioned that a shooter had put glitter in their shells, and the wind blew it and some glitter sliced the eyeball of another shooter who required medical attention.  Years ago I had tried red glitter in BP shells, and really couldn't see it much when firing, but after reading of that incident I will not try it again.  Something to consider.

:FlagAm: Thanks for the input brother.  Will keep in mind.

Chas B

When I made glitter shells for my shooting partner Lacey..

I put the glitter in after lead was dropped.. 

I put it in with a very small measuring spoon..

I then put that shell on the lid of my vibrating brass cleaner..

It sifted down through the shot and then I did the crimp stations..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I don't remember a whole bunch of glitter all over

but there had to be some :wacko:

Archived