SASS Wire Forum

Another gun sales record set in June.

I've read several articles about each month setting a new record in each month in FBI background checks for gun purchases.  Nearly 4,000,000 in June.

I'm not posting links.  It's easy enough to Google.  Some articles point out the "loopholes" in the laws.  Some just expound on the situation. 

I'm just courteous of the breakdown of first time buyers vs folks with lots of guns just increasing their armory.  

The numbers for first time buyers are mostly estimates.  There aren’t official numbers. Forms don’t ask if it’s a first time purchaser and I’d bet that a lot of first time buyers have made their acquisitions buy approaching a friend or family member with, “I’ve decided that you were right! I’m responsible for my own personal protection and I am ready to buy a gun and learn to use it! Would you be willing to sell me a gun???”

3 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

“I’ve decided that you were right! I’m responsible for my own personal protection and I am ready to buy a gun and learn to use it! Would you be willing to sell me a gun???”

My response:

"No, but I'd be more than happy to take you to the local gun shop and guide you through the process. I'd also be more than happy to take you to the range a few times and show you safe gun handling procedures."

52 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I've read several articles about each month setting a new record in each month in FBI background checks for gun purchases.  Nearly 4,000,000 in June.

I'm not posting links.  It's easy enough to Google.  Some articles point out the "loopholes" in the laws.  Some just expound on the situation. 

I'm just courteous of the breakdown of first time buyers vs folks with lots of guns just increasing their armory.  

Too bad that important information, required to determine trends and make decisions based on facts rather than conjecture or emotion is often deliberately not asked for or sought.

We see that a lot of that here in Canada.

Some of our closest friends are gunshop owners.  I hear there are a lot of first time buyers.  No indication if they are talking 5% or 50%. 

One thing for sure,  more guns are going out than coming in.  On our gunshop tour last Friday,  one gunshop was down by 3/4s their normal inventory.  Owner said he wasn't getting any trades and not being able to but collections or estate.   What he gets in gos out within hours. 

We drove past our second shop and lot was full so we didn't stop.

I bought one in June but it was made in 1873 so no background checks.

It seems that gun sales always go up around presidential election years.  Ammo gets hard to find and reloading supplies are scarce.    The Democratic party with all their gun control plans are some of the best gun sales people.  I think I'll order another 1,000 rounds of 5.56, just for good measure.

I'm seeing a lot of first time buyers.  I'm also seeing a super high delay rate on the returns.  About half of the delays clear in 48 hours, the rest have to go the full wait period before the delay expires and the transaction can proceed.  

10 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

It seems that gun sales always go up around presidential election years.  Ammo gets hard to find and reloading supplies are scarce.    The Democratic party with all their gun control plans are some of the best gun sales people.  I think I'll order another 1,000 rounds of 5.56, just for good measure.

The "planned-dimic" evolved into protesting and then riots also added to the situation. 

Our son, the nurse in Minneapolis area, is the odd man out in his urgent care facility - having been raised a redneck from rural Missouri,  tour in the Marines, and was police officer in Tucson area, hunter and general outdoorsman.   But now his more "enlighten" coworkers  have came to him wanting to know about guns.  Wanting to buy guns from him. Wanting him to teach them how to shoot. He tells them to get a knife.

10 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

One thing to remember, in Ohio and many other states having a CCW allows you to buy a gun without a FBI background check. I bought a gun last month, but it's not represented in those numbers. New buyers WILL be in that data, but not all "old hands" will be.

Also,  it does not count private sales where allowed. 

Gun shows have pretty much been shut down around the country.   Some are just now being ran.  I don't know how that plays into it.

I've pretty much quit going to gun shows.  Paying $10 to look at over priced plastic guns just isn't worth it to me.  I haven't found any good deals at gun shows in probably 10 years.   I can buy accessories and ammo cheaper off the internet.

1 hour ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I'm seeing a lot of first time buyers.  I'm also seeing a super high delay rate on the returns.  About half of the delays clear in 48 hours, the rest have to go the full wait period before the delay expires and the transaction can proceed.  

That has been my experience as well. I would say that since March I've helped nearly as many first time buyers as I have those who already own guns. In the past month, I have had many would be first timers go away disappointed because I simply don't have the appropriate firearms to sell them, what they want, or what they can afford.

It seems like a flip of the coin as to whether someone will get a delay or not. We actually get excited when someone has their Concealed Carry License, as we know we don't have to worry about a delay.

1 minute ago, DocWard said:

That has been my experience as well. I would say that since March I've helped nearly as many first time buyers as I have those who already own guns. In the past month, I have had many would be first timers go away disappointed because I simply don't have the appropriate firearms to sell them, what they want, or what they can afford.

It seems like a flip of the coin as to whether someone will get a delay or not. We actually get excited when someone has their Concealed Carry License, as we know we don't have to worry about a delay.

Alas,  the BATF revoked Alabama's ability to use CCW permits to avoid background checks.  A sheriff was giving out permits without doing background checks.  So everybody here has to go through the background check.  

Our store has got plenty of guns for first timers.  And we've been able to keep a pretty good supply of ammo, albeit at about twice the price it was 8 months ago.  But we're sure seeing a lot more bulk buys, even on rimfire.  

1 hour ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

One thing to remember, in Ohio and many other states having a CCW allows you to buy a gun without a FBI background check. I bought a gun last month, but it's not represented in those numbers. New buyers WILL be in that data, but not all "old hands" will be.

I bought only one gun this year at a gun shop and no call in because I have a CCL. I’ve been doing some private buying and selling, mostly trades. 

I've sold several this year. Guess I'm helping all those buyers. ;)

1 hour ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Alas,  the BATF revoked Alabama's ability to use CCW permits to avoid background checks.  A sheriff was giving out permits without doing background checks.  So everybody here has to go through the background check.  

Our store has got plenty of guns for first timers.  And we've been able to keep a pretty good supply of ammo, albeit at about twice the price it was 8 months ago.  But we're sure seeing a lot more bulk buys, even on rimfire.  

They revoked MI . Reason I heard was because MI legalized weed . Don’t see why that would effect it but I’m not a lawyer and I don’t work for the government. Unless you count paying taxes :) 

47 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

They revoked MI . Reason I heard was because MI legalized weed . Don’t see why that would effect it but I’m not a lawyer and I don’t work for the government. Unless you count paying taxes :) 

Probably because regardless of what the states do POT is still illegal federally. In Ohio you need a Medical ID for POT and therefore cannot get a CCL.

2075307703_EmptygunrackJuly2020.jpg.d3135f2979aa8ce00f0d29cec234b1eb.jpg

This rack and another about as long are normally full in one of our gun store.  July 3 this is what they looked like.  The guns in these racks were old trade-ins.  Garden variety hunting long guns.  I'd be afraid to shoot some of them.  

I made noise at the indoor range at Cherokee Firearms in Springfield this afternoon.  The long gun racks on the wall were 1/2 full, some Uberti cowboy guns still available, rest were black guns.  Ammo purchases limited to one box of pistol caliber, two boxes otherwise.  Although sparse, there was some variety available.

Made me glad I have some .22 inventory from the last panic, and that I cast and reload.

I was tired from mowing the lawn and shaky; groups were nothing to brag about, or I would be posting photos and bragging!

:lol:

My lady and I just got identical His and Her's Barettas. Some time back, we went out to look at getting His and Her's 1911s, but picked different examples.

But we also teach carry classes, and have a noticeable increase in first-time owners wanting to carry. This is a conservative area of the country, but some of these folks are in what would be classically considered liberal/progressive occupations.

We are welcoming them, teaching them safety, and showing them we are not rabid killers.

I live in a seriously pro-2A part of the country, but hear this is going on everywhere. There are news reports and FaceBook posts of new buyers who are pissed off the background checks they voted for apply to them too. Those restrictions were only supposed to apply to criminals (which don't go through them) and gun nuts (which did not include them).

I am optimistic that there will be enough of them over the next year to get real common sense back into the discussion... Now that more have seen the light. Let's not piss them off with any remaining differences. Yes, they are still leftists and liberals and progressives. But they will stop promoting disarmament if it affects them.

10 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Here in the PRK, the background check now takes 3 days.
After it comes back, then comes the 10 day waiting period.

IIRC, they have now implemented a 30 days waiting period between subsequent purchases.
I accumulated 170 days of CA waiting periods in 2019 to get my cowboy guns.
None in 2020, and none planned in the future.

Archived