SASS Wire Forum

Reclaimed Lead Shot

Howdy

I use reclaimed  shot for Cowboy and  purchased   5 ton  a few years back which I also melted down for bullets.

Being a trap shooter I only use new shot ....  BUT' that is going to change ..The attached  photo shows the new & old..and I do mean old as this is not shot that has just landed on the ground, some was in the ground for years !!

001.JPG

The issue I have with reclaimed shot is pellets mashed together. They bridge in the drop tube of my MEC and cause a mess when they decide to come out after the handle is raised.

46 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

I quit using reclaimed as the stuff we could get here was oxidized a bit and created lead dust in the air when it was being loaded and when it was fired.

kR

Kid.....Yes quite a bit that I got was oxidized & very dirty, my method for cowboy was a quick wash , into a plastic container  shake with some graphite powder & then use. I now wash  thoroughly using an old cement mixer & when dried  I have a new small 43 liter cement mixer that I only use for spinning  shot with very little powder for about 20 minutes, I throw in some bigger lead balls [ .457.] & have added rubber flaps  to the mixers  pick up fins as they are only bolted in so that helps more with moving the lead around the bowl. I still can't believe how well the shot turns out, of course it varies in size [ 6 - 8 ] & some doesn't shine up as good but I'm confident it will work for Trap shooting. With the cost of new  shot down - under  I have to give it a go !!

Also now it is easier to spot any small stones.

Please run ALL reclaimed shot past a magnet to remove any steel shot from the mix.

Steel shot against steel targets results in nasty bounce back.

9 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The issue I have with reclaimed shot is pellets mashed together. They bridge in the drop tube of my MEC and cause a mess when they decide to come out after the handle is raised.

I had that problem also.  What I do is as I'm raising the handle I "agitate" the handle as it's going up.  That seems to work for me.

8 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Please run ALL reclaimed shot past a magnet to remove any steel shot from the mix.

Steel shot against steel targets results in nasty bounce back.

Ace....The shot I buy does not contain any steel shot, just sayin !

I shot reclaimed #6-#9 for years.

Worked well enough.

In today's environment, all of my loads need to be multi-purpose.  I am loading middle power #6 loads that work in SASS or more serious work.

My pistol and rifle loads are being loaded above min.

I can still enjoy the game and be prepared for more than a game.

Not all reclaimed shot is created equal. I to had used bad reclaimed shot that wasn't graphited well and contained some steel shot. It would hang in the drop tube on my Mec then the second I noticed this it would drop after I raised the handle and go all over the place. I now only use reclaimed shot from JRShot out of Oakdale Ca. I swear this shot looks new! Its graphited perfectly, contains no steel and never hangs up in the Mec. I buy it straight from the supplier but you can get it from Coyotes Mercantile.         https://coyotesmercantile.com/collections/bullets/products/reclaim-shot

14 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Ace....The shot I buy does not contain any steel shot, just sayin !

Then you are a lucky consumer.

Archived