SASS Wire Forum

45-70 black powder cartridge reloading question

JG Wentworth

I have 405 grain .458  SPG lubed bullets for my Sharps rifle.  They are hollow based.  I have not reloaded hollow based BP bullets before.  

I usually put an over powder wad between bullet and the black powder.  Should I still do that with hollow based bullets?  Is that introducing an air space in the cartridge since the space in the base of the bullet will contain a little air?

I have heard of accuracy problems at long range using over powder wads under hollow base bullets, I assume because the wad gets jammed in there out of kilter under pressure.  You can just seat a hollow base bullet firmly on the powder and do fine, or go completely old school and fill the cavity with Crisco or other bullet lube.

1 hour ago, Crisco said:

I have heard of accuracy problems at long range using over powder wads under hollow base bullets, I assume because the wad gets jammed in there out of kilter under pressure.  You can just seat a hollow base bullet firmly on the powder and do fine, or go completely old school and fill the cavity with Crisco or other bullet lube.

If you just filled the cavity with lube of some kind, wouldn't that bleed into the powder?  Just curious.  I don't load .45-70

7 minutes ago, German Jim said:

If you just filled the cavity with lube of some kind, wouldn't that bleed into the powder?  Just curious.  I don't load .45-70

Doesn’t seem to if it’s good lube like spg or crisco & beeswax.

HB lubed wads need no wads. The original intention for the HB lubed bullets is/was for the base to expand in the bore and obturate in the grooves.  usually for fire arms that did not have a consistent bore diameter

On a Graybeard thread on the subject of wads or no wads ....

Gatefero posted on the Cap & Ball forum that he built a bullet catcher for C&B pistols, and found wads still sticking to some round balls after going through 6+ inches of newspaper!  I think you can assume that they will stick to a hollow base bullet too.

Archived