SASS Wire Forum

Fingerprint login

Alpo

My phone gives me the option to lock it, so that unauthorized users cannot access it.

I suppose all cell phones have that option.

My phone also gives me the option of using my fingerprint to unlock it.

I suppose all smartphones have that option.

But having never locked my phone - let alone locked it using my fingerprint - I have a couple questions.

For those of you that do this, which finger do you use? Do you use the obvious one - the index finger of your dexter hand? Or do you use something different?

There was a Castle episode where they needed to access the dead man's phone, and of course they had no idea of his password. So they used his right index finger and it opened right up.

There are a few websites where they let you try maybe three times, and if you have not typed the correct username and password, the site locks you out.

Do smartphones work the same way?

If I used my wedding ring finger, and someone wanted in my phone but I would not give them the password, so they started with my right index, then my left index, then my right thumb, then my left thumb. At some point would the phone just refuse to accept it because so many wrong fingerprints have been tried?

On an older Iphone that I had, it let you put in a bunch of fingerprints.  I had thumb and index for both hands.  Also had my wife's prints in there so she could unlock my phone.

My new phone is a "face lock" type.  Works amazingly well...when I am not wearing my mask...

I was going to bring up using a toe.

I saw it on some tv show.

-----------------

Some experts have said that the finger print lock is not vary good and can be opened by a random print.

They went on to say that using a good password and the draw a line on the dot grid is better provided you use 6 lines or more.

I assume this is the same on all phones but after 10 failures it turns the phone into a brick.  For security, the draw a line is the worst because its easiest to hack.  The password is the best because it's the hardest.  I use the finger print and it makes you do a password as a backup.  Occasionally it makes you enter the code even if the fingerprints are a match.  I never could figure out what triggers that other than a reboot.  There's room to store like 10 or 20 fingerprints, but I just have the 1 finger stored multiple times.  My plan is if a ne'er do well wants to force me to unlock my phone, I will use the wrong finger 10 times and wipe it out.  

If you're a lawless type of person, the passcode is still better because cops can get a warrant for your fingerprints to unlock the phone.  They can also get a warrant for the passcode (if warrant is the right word there), but they can't take that passcode if you refuse like they could for a fingerprint.  If I was expecting trouble (or writing a book since this is alpo asking), I'd probably store some random person's fingerprint and use the passcode so the bad guys would brick the phone trying all of my fingers and never get the nuclear codes that were texted to me.  

Murphy is both alive and well in the computer and phone industries.
A password is far less risk for bricking your phone.

I keep my passwords in an encrypted file with a secure password that my wife will never forget.
This is important for computers, phones, banks, medical, IRS and all the other accounts that require secure passwords.

Finger print?
Nope.  Not happening.

Archived