SASS Wire Forum

Newbee Survey "Why I joined SASS"

wyliefoxEsquire

There might be some value in hearing from our newest shooters.

Those who joined in 2019 and 2020.

How did you hear/learn about SASS?

Did you have a mentor?

Why did you join?

Brief history of acquiring your firearms.

Brief history of your "cowboy attire".

I joined up about 15 years ago after being invited by a friend to go watch him shoot.

It looked like fun and relatively easy to do.   I already had pistols and rifle.   I had never really owned a SG.

Anyhow, I stayed because of the friends I quickly made and the challenges it presented.........those targets weren't so easy to

hit.  :lol:

And..... its still a challenge cause those targets are still moving around on me..... ;)

..........Widder

Let's see,

I joined in October of 2019.

I've known SASS existed for years, but never knew how to get involved. I met a gent in June of 2019 who offered to help me get my Lee turret set up and learn me how to reload and keep my fingers.

That gent, Warthog Red, offered to take me a monthly and show me what CAS was about.

He's been my friend and mentor ever since.

I actually bought my first Cimarron Model P around 2014 cuz I WANTED one. :D

After my second match, I picked up a second Model P (almost matching, stupid 3 clicker.) and seeing how Davidson's was having a sale, I bought a 73 short rifle, too.

About that same time I picked up a worn but tight 97.

The cowboy attire is still evolving, but having spent a few of my formative years in the Army and doing what I can to support veterans these days, along with being an old western movie junkie,

I joined the Cavalry...

20200529_163832.jpg

A friend told me about cas in 2018.  Joined in 2019. I think pretty much everyone I shoot with has mentored me in one way or another.  Bought a Remlin, vaqueros, and a Stoeger. Now have a 97 and an 1873 24 inch rifle also.

I started in December 2019. I initially stumbled upon it because I am a big fan of Red Dead Redemption (the video game series) which is known for its “End of the Wild West” storyline, fast gunplay, and countless other cowboy/western tropes. I eventually came across a YouTube video that discussed whether real people can actually shoot as fast as the characters in the game. The video answered “hell yes!” then showcased a few stages from an Arizona Cowboy Shooters Association match. It made me want to go check out a match in person so I looked up the SASS website, found a club that was only a 25 minute drive away from me, and contacted its match director (Moog). He encouraged me to show up to an Antelope Junction Rangers monthly where I met him, Shelleen and several others... and the rest, as they say, is history!

Did you have a mentor?

Yes; though I’ve been fortunate to meet and learn so much from many people, I am particularly grateful for the mentoring I’ve received from Shelleen and Moog. They are often at matches together and I learn something new from them every weekend that I come out to shoot. And as it would turn out, Shelleen lives practically down the road from me which has made working with and learning from him even more seamless, so if I had to single out one mentor it would be him. I appreciate him for taking me under his wing, starting literally on day one for me!

Why did you join?

"Come for the shooting, stay for the people." I know everyone says that, but that must mean it’s something about our culture. I enjoy that we foster a strong sense of camaraderie within our community despite the stereotypically cut-throat nature of some competitive shooting sports. Plus, CAS checks several of the boxes for me: historical firearms, roleplaying/costuming elements, and (as my other friends often tease me) "basically getting to play Red Dead Redemption in real life." :lol:

Brief history of acquiring your firearms.

Shelleen, the mentor I mentioned above, happened to have an extra Taylor's & Co. 1873 rifle and pair of Ruger New Vaqueros that he was willing to sell... all in .38/.357, slicked up, and ready to go. Being eager to dive deeper into the game with gear to call "my own", I took him up on his offer. Not even a week later, I came across an IAC (Norinco) 97 pump shotgun on consignment at a local gun shop for a fair price so I jumped on that too, completing my first set of cowboy guns. I stuck with the 97 up until last month, when I decided to borrow and try a side-by-side for the first time and really enjoyed it. That prompted me to purchase a Charles Daly 512T, which I actually just posted about recently and plan to use as my main match shotgun starting this weekend. As those who have met me at matches may know, I like to transport all of my cowboy guns to/from the range in a "guitar" case. It not only serves as part of my costume, but also helps deter unwanted attention or uncomfortable looks from others when I'm coming into/out of my downtown apartment building.

IMG_3808.thumb.jpg.3c2b92bb97f9ecb8358eb343232f8660.jpg

I am Filipino-American and for the first few months, my attire drew heavy inspiration from José Rizal who is considered the Philippines' national hero. He is popularly portrayed as wearing an iconic bowler hat and dark formalwear, particularly at the time of his martyrdom by the Spanish in 1896. However, as we transitioned into Florida's notoriously hot, humid summer I found that it was way too uncomfortable to wear a vest and neckerchief all the time so I started dressing down. Finally, during my first match back after the COVID-19 quarantine, I wore a bandana over my face which people said made me look more like a "Santa Rosa Outlaw." I kind of liked the different persona and I happened to be in the market for a new hat anyway, so I decided to lean into it for at least these hotter months. I'm sure my outfit will change several times more though, which is part of the fun for me in this hobby anyway!

5.thumb.jpg.9f2315407685cb5839781236de5fda7c.jpg1.thumb.jpeg.32941913b024a6c5866b34a5ed40b057.jpeg

I am very much a newbie, I only just got in my own guns and plan to actually participate in my first match in the coming weeks rather than just watch.   I only came to know about it as my range has a little cowboy town and I happened to be shooting clays next to it and saw a crowd, and wandered over.  I mean as a guy that loves the west and loves all things cowboys I was enthralled, and the folks there purposely came over to me and my kids and welcomed us in, explained it all and then let us shoot their guns afterward!! The main thing that did it for me was cigar smoking seemed not only ok but advocated at the match :)

I looked all over social media trying to learn more afterward and found only a few outdated sites from my club and a few others and little else.  I found a few you tube videos too but not much,  mainly because being so new I had no idea of the terminology (or even to know "sass" to search for.  I had lot of questions but basically just waited to the next match. Only after that did I find this site plus more in depth info once I knew what to google :)

I already have a guy I guess I'd call a mentor who comes over during the matches and gave me some advice.  I have a 16 year old nephew I'm the guardian of and a 15 yo daughter who both are totally blown away by it and excited as well.  "Red dead redemption" is a pretty popular game and they referenced it too :)

my advice is a lot more online presence for newbies.  Maybe covid impacted keeping things updated, but I think that can go a long way.  I can tell you I wish I had heard of this whole thing years ago!

I tried to find used stuff, and stalked the classifieds here, but goodness the stuff sells before you can blink, and didn't seem like I'd save much anyway, so I just bought a couple smoke wagons and a 73 from Codys,  and a stoeger sxs from longhunt based on recomendations from the club and here, and put together an outfit from wild west mercantile... so I guess we're  ready!

FB_IMG_1594258680257.jpg

Yup, them folks at Wild West Mercantile can definitely hook a guy or gal up.

You can be creative in yer get up or just get out and shoot. My downfall was the Covid lockdown and the computer was too close. :D

As an aside, my cavalry pants are just a pair of modified Dickie's work pants.

Don't remember the year.  We had a large group going to EOT & you had to be a member to be admitted to the berms.  I don't shoot (too much trouble) but I've scored more matches than many of you have shot.

I joined in 2017, been a shooter and reloader since the 70s. I inherited a 73 Winchester back in the 80s when a great uncle passed. It was a box of parts and broken stock, but I hung onto it till I had the money and time to fix it up. Started reloading for this old 44-40 and was looking for a place to shoot it, I am a big fan of steel target shooting. Discovered CAS on the interwebs and found the nearest club. My first visit was just to see what it was all about. Went home and started building my gun cart that day and buying more guns, couple repro pistols and a 1897 Winchester. I thought I was ready till the firing pin broke dry firing my original 73, and decided it was just not going to hold up for competition (it's a safe queen now) and bought another repro. Talked my wife into coming to the matches with me cuz the people are so nice, she would keep score. Eventually I talked her into shooting a match, bought more guns (38s for her) and she bought me a new safe for Christmas. It looked kinda empty at first so I bought some more guns for my son to give CAS a try (44 mag). So now it's a family thing and we really enjoy it.

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

PLZ, give us the details on your 'gun case'.

Very nice :excl:

OLG 

Of course! Playing guitar is one of my other hobbies and I was already using my instruments' gig bags as makeshift single long gun cases. After I completed my first full set of cowboy guns, I was originally just planning to repurpose an old hardshell guitar case and fill it with foam that I would have cut to shape. While Googling around to see if anybody else has attempted and documented that project in the past, I came across several pre-made examples that looked intriguing.

I ultimately went with the Savior Equipment Ultimate Guitar Case since it is lockable, has wheels, and seems future-proof/sturdy enough to be used for long-distance travel (particularly flying, if I ever get to that point). Other companies that I came across included Covert Cases (which has some other clever products that I wish I was creative enough to think of myself :lol:) and Cedar Mill.

All of the pre-made ones I found are admittedly pricey — especially the latter two I linked, which I felt I could probably DIY relatively easily and more inexpensively — but the Savior Equipment offering was a fair enough price to me for a feature set that would've been more involved and/or expensive for me to build myself. Plus, the case was still deep enough to where I can comfortably fit another layer of guns if needed while still maintaining a layer of foam between them. For example: Besides the firearms in my photo above, I also keep my IAC 97 in the case on the bottom layer to bring to matches in case I or anybody else wants to use it.

For anybody interested in building their own, here's a guy who documented how he did it for his AR-15 and here's an example of the foam I would have tried to cut to shape.

Finally, obligatory Desperado reference:

My dad started shooting CAS in the mid 90s. I was home on leave and he took me to a match. When I got out of the Marines and moved back home I played cowboy for 2 summers around 2001 & 2002

Did you have a mentor?

Sorta. My Dad got me started. Loaned me a rifle and shotgun to use until I bought some.

Why did you join?

I joined in late 2018. The decision was easy for me. I wanted to lock in my alias and be able to shoot big matches eventually. Also life had settled down enough that I could actually start shooting again.

Brief history of acquiring your firearms.

I've had several. When I shot in the early 2000s I ran a pair of 58 Remingtons, an asm 92, and an antique hammered double. Lost them along with all my other guns when my house got robbed. The 58s got overlooked. In 2010 I started getting guns again. Then my house burned down and no safe. I still have those 58s. They happened to be at my dad's when the house went. I now have a safe and 3+ complete setups for cowboy games. I'm currently running 44/40 rugers, Navy arms 73 44/40, and an IAC 12 ga 87.

Brief history of your "cowboy attire".

Part of the fun is dressing up. I have several outfits. I wear enough to pass muster for classic cowboy but I shoot FCGF. 

So I joined SASS twoish months ago.   I currently shoot a couple of tactical matches that fit in with my line of work, and wanted to give "cowboy 3 gun" a chance (I know the old timers cringed when I said that).  I live on a farm and like all things old fashioned.  I appreciate the rules (can we please do muzzle down? haha) and the dress and the camaraderie. 

I drug my girlfreind with me to a match last month in Statesville, NC and they were more than glad to get me into the fray.   and I bet 18-20 people came up to talk to us and say hello and offer tips and tricks.  A wonderful experiance. In all seriousness, THIS is how you keep SASS alive if you can get the people TO the match.  Therein lies the issue.  

Ive purchased several pieces of my outfit from members here, some sweet pistols from a member here, and getting a Marlin 94 slicked up from a forum sponsor.  Got gun leather finishing up tomorrow from Red Cent leather. So, this place is a wealth of information from a new persons perspective.  And everyone has been very helpful when questions arise.  I do see some "spicy"  debate from some of the older longer standing menbers here about topics, and see the passion in the details of all that is SASS.  

Coyote Mike came from the fact I work with a bunch of guys at a gun shop part time that are pretty serious yote hunters, and one of them even has a baby yote (my profile pic).  They are pretty scrappy animals and do what they need to to survive. 

I just finished my MBA last month and now I can have some fun vs. writing papers.  

On 7/8/2020 at 12:35 PM, wyliefoxEsquire said:

The internet and gun magazines.

Did you have a mentor?

No

Why did you join?

It looks like fun!

I have always kind of been a gun nut.

I have shot muzzleloaders in the Rondevous scene for quite a while and am a life member of the Kansas Muzzleloaders Assn.

I have also shot IDPA for a time.

Had seen the Cowboy shooters at our annual conventions but never had the guns for the sport or at the time the disposable income to get into it at the time.

In the past year or so things changed including receiving a small legacy from my mother with instructions to use it for something that I enjoyed, so I started hitting auctions looking for guns.

.Brief history of acquiring your firearms.

As stated I started hitting auctions... had a friend ask me to be on the lookout for an Uberti 3.5" Birdshead 45 Colt. I happend on an auction that had one on the bill still in the box, I walked away with it and a .357 5.5" Uberti SSA for $300 each. When I called him up to let him know I found one he told me that he had already bought one new from a dealer. So I kept it, in the next few months I picked up 2 more 4.75" Uberti's in 45 Colt and another 5.5" 357. Another auction I picked up an older Rossi M92 in 45 Colt and 2 holster rigs, One a San Pedro Tombstone leather rig with a strong side and crossdraw holster with .45 loops and a made in Mexico buscadero rig with .38 loops.  One day it hit me that I had almost enough guns to play this game. I joined SASS Wire Forums and started reading. Joined SASS and looked up local clubs. One of the clubs was holding their very first post Covid shutdown match the next weekend. I went taking my .45s and the M92, used one of the shirts I used for Rondezvou and a flat brim hat, not really intending to shoot since I didn't have a shotgun but to watch and check things out. While the other shooters were unloading and getting ready I was introducing myself and one of the younger shooters asked if I was shooting, when I said I was just going to watch because of no shotgun, he said I could share his '97 and space on his cart for my rifle. The results were posted here First Match Under My Belt.

I have since acquired several more firearms to play this game in almost any category I would care to shoot in from Frontiersman to Classic Cowboy to B-Western. I currently just shoot as a Senior.

Bare minimum at the moment since I am just getting started so not sure where it will lead at this point with my current look as my profile pic.

Growing up on a ranch in the Flint Hills of Kansas I have always dressed "cowboy", boots, Levis or Wranglers, western shirts (most made for me by my mom) and felt or straw hats as seen in my attached Senior Picture.

Senior Picture 1977.jpg

On 7/9/2020 at 1:27 PM, Santa Rosa Slinger said:

Of course! Playing guitar is one of my other hobbies and I was already using my instruments' gig bags as makeshift single long gun cases. After I completed my first full set of cowboy guns, I was originally just planning to repurpose an old hardshell guitar case and fill it with foam that I would have cut to shape. While Googling around to see if anybody else has attempted and documented that project in the past, I came across several pre-made examples that looked intriguing.

I ultimately went with the Savior Equipment Ultimate Guitar Case since it is lockable, has wheels, and seems future-proof/sturdy enough to be used for long-distance travel (particularly flying, if I ever get to that point). Other companies that I came across included Covert Cases (which has some other clever products that I wish I was creative enough to think of myself :lol:) and Cedar Mill.

All of the pre-made ones I found are admittedly pricey — especially the latter two I linked, which I felt I could probably DIY relatively easily and more inexpensively — but the Savior Equipment offering was a fair enough price to me for a feature set that would've been more involved and/or expensive for me to build myself. Plus, the case was still deep enough to where I can comfortably fit another layer of guns if needed while still maintaining a layer of foam between them. For example: Besides the firearms in my photo above, I also keep my IAC 97 in the case on the bottom layer to bring to matches in case I or anybody else wants to use it.

For anybody interested in building their own, here's a guy who documented how he did it for his AR-15 and here's an example of the foam I would have tried to cut to shape.

Finally, obligatory Desperado reference:

@Santa Rosa Slinger Love that scene LOL One of my favorites.

Archived