SASS Wire Forum

Ever heard of loading tubes for SAA???

Flaco Joe

I saw a YouTube video of a guy who created loading tubes for speed loading a SAA. In the comments, he said he used gum ball tubes cut to hold a .45 Colt round. But he didn’t give details. In the video, he loads a single action pretty fast! Has anyone ever see anything like this? I’m interested in trying this out.

In our game I don't see the need for it, I've always have had plenty of time at the LT.  That guy needs to hone his chambers, the spent shells should come out a lot easier.

I used to see a piece of thin wall pipe with one end crimped shut used like that when shooting single actions in "combat" shoots.  A lot faster than loading from ammo dumped into a jacket pocket, and pretty much anything is faster than a full reload from a belt.

I made a couple of them about 5 years ago with PVC pipe & a dowel rod for both 45 Colt & 38 Special. They worked fine but like most everyone else says I had plenty of time at the loading table so to load up the tube and then to load up the rifle really didn't do anything for me so I never really used them. I think I threw them out last year when I moved.

Cool! Thanks for sharing. I’ll have to do a little experimenting with something myself. 

Because it’s fun. I’m not considering it for SASS. I’m interested in it because it’s novel. I’ve been wanting to build a concept CCW SAA. Not because it’s practical - it isn’t. Not that it would replace my Glock - it won’t. It’s a fantasy construct, like Jim West’s gadgets, or Van Helsing’s steampunk. I just like the idea of it and seeing how far I can take it. I just enjoy messing with cool guns and doing cool things with them.

06E82908-3A5C-4E2B-9254-4C12189B8114.jpeg

BC24D392-0CA6-461F-82E8-C4EE6D44C1B2.jpeg

I have seen those rifle loading tubes. They are pretty slick. 

I’ve got vaqueros in 45 acp. When I get the bug to carry it I have a Glock 21 mag that use use like a pez dispenser. I smoothed off the rear of the feed lips so it doesn’t destroy my thumb. Works very well. I managed to get off 12 rounds in 16 seconds.  Not super practical but fun and cool. 

• 1 month later...

Might not be acceptable at ranges with over-bearing, authoritarian loading table nazis.  Those who believe others can't count out five rounds and properly place them in a revolver without supervision.

On 7/8/2020 at 9:06 PM, Savvy Jack said:

IMG_1978.JPG

IMG_1979.JPG

Beautiful gun!  LOve the old style frames...I just wish the front sight was just a tad wider.  I use a BP Frame Uberti and a newer frame Uberti, and almost all of my misses are with the narrow-blade BP Frame.  I love everything else about it.

OK, you got me curious.

45 Colt will fit in those plastic tubes for quick reloads of 50 Cal Muzzleloaders, but the 45 Colt is a tad too long to fit even three in the tube.  45 Schofield fits three perfectly.

If you have any of these tubes, you could practice the loading technique.

image1 (2).jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

1 hour ago, Diamond Jake said:

Beautiful gun!  LOve the old style frames...I just wish the front sight was just a tad wider.  I use a BP Frame Uberti and a newer frame Uberti, and almost all of my misses are with the narrow-blade BP Frame.  I love everything else about it.

THANKS!!

I think Taylors has the wider front blade.

13 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

What a waste of money!:huh:

Did you spend thousands of dollars just to shoot steel targets with reduced loads? That's what I call a waste! :P

Archived