SASS Wire Forum

Games before SASS

Creeker, SASS #43022

I can't really add to the perspective here. I was a drunk and a whoremonger before I got involved in CAS.

This is way less expensive. 

And safer. :D

Was this your first shooting sport.   No

I shot NRA bullseye , USPSA , High power rifle and a little shotgun

Did it cost less to participate in these sports.  Yes

Did I have to wait to get all the guns.   Yes   I had one Vaq revolver and a double barrel shotgun.  My shooting partner had another Vaq and a rifle.    So we went together and shared guns

SASS was 1st firearm competition.  Hunted alot.  Watching my brother Tom Elder and having club members ask my ten year old if he would like to try it.  Cody James was hooked.  I later went and watched Winter Range top 16, I was hooked.   Jessica, my 13 year old came along with my wife to EOT and watched Holly Terror compete against Badland Bub and she was hooked.  I competed in high school and college wrestling (go Sun Devils).  Cost about the same : one shoulder and knee replacement with  a spinal fusion vs 20 firearms, holsters, reloading press and ammo cost.  Had a coach at each.  We took out a loan, very similar to a car room and raised hell.  Best money I ever paid back.

So...  A few questions.

1. Was SASS (or CAS) your first foray into an organized firearms competition?

No

If you answered NO; 

a.  What shooting game or games did you play prior and why start SASS?

I did Muzzleloading rondevous shooting and shot IDPA with my Concealed Carry guns.

b.  Was the cost of those games more or less than your SASS cost?

Hard to quantify since there was almost 20 years between buying guns for that and my SASS guns.

c.  Did you have to/ choose to delay SASS because of the costs?

Actually Yes because of raising a family at the time and not that great of salary. Now my kids are grown with kids of their own, House is paid off, unemployed at the moment stretching my severance package until I can start drawing SS next year and received a small legacy from my mother with instructions to use it for something I enjoyed so I started hitting auctions, buying guns when others didn't get stupid and bid them up to more than a new one would cost. Eventually through my diverse purchases I realized I had enough of the required guns I could start playing this game. So I joined SASS and went to my first match, now having a literal blast!

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 12:06 AM, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

So...  A few questions.

No.

If you answered NO; 

Shot IPSC and IMHSA for several years on the front range near Denver, Golden, Longmont, Boulder and Broomfield. Shot a "sort of" organized Thursday night bowling pin league near Broomfield until the range folded.

IPSC used an Ed Brown custom race gun and a Colt Delta Elite with C-More red dot rail system. Easily $6,000 in the late 80's. IMHSA was a 300 gunsmith tuned 629 44 mag. Bowling pins were a 657 (also tuned and magna ported by 300 gunsmith) in 41 mag.

Nope.  traded the Ed Brown for 2 Marlin CC in 38 special, a pair of Ruger OM in 357 and two IAC 3rd series model 97. Traded one of the Cowboy comps towards a 73, gave the other to my best friend. Still have the Smith's, the Colt, the Rugers and 97's.

a.  What brought you to SASS as opposed to any other shooting sport?

Moved from the east slope to the west slope. whining in a LGS about no gun ranges where like minded people could compete, man behind me (Klondike Ike) said have you tried CAS? and took me to a match the following weekend. Another cowboy (Blastmaster) took me under his wing and that was all she wrote. Side note... IDPA was not really up and running at the time and USPSA had no local clubs though now I do dabble once in a while, not really my thing but a nice change of pace.

b.  What hobby/ sport/ game did you participate in prior?

Was a part time professional wedding photographer for 12-13 years, never made much money so I guess it qualifies as a game:P. Coached, refereed and played soccer at levels including middle school, high school and state competitive, recreational and select leagues, mens and womens for about 15 years. That was where I met SWMBO. Raced road and mountain bikes for a while. As Phantom says won a few things along the way but who really gives a cr@p

c.  Were the costs of the above more or less than SASS entry?

$25,000 of photo gear, road bike frame was a Trek 2000 aluminum equipped with Dur-Ace at about $3,500, Mountain bike was a Gary Fisher carbon fiber frameset at $4,400 new. Soccer just took decent cleats, clean shirt, shorts and a lot of running:D

d.  Did you have to/ choose to delay SASS because of the costs?

Nope. Less than 4 months after that first match I sold/traded enough other stuff that I had everything I needed and did enough research to know this was a lifetime deal. In between numerous cowboys took care of me with guns and ammo. I am very proud to pass on their good heartedness to others and newbies as I can. Became a life member as a Christmas present to myself in 2007.

I appreciate your time and insights.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

SASS was not the first, but the only one I came back a second time.  Bowling pins, IDPA, Silhouette, trap - one time each.  It was obvious I was invading "manspace" and very unwanted.  God bless the cowboys that welcomed me to my first match as if they had started that club just so I would show up.  My other hobby was my show car and the club activities that went along with it.  I was much more accepted by the car guys than the gun guys.  I almost always went solo as I knew everybody would think the car belonged to Wonnerful Hubby and I was just along for the ride.   I was fortunate that my late Wonnerful Hubby thought any slight expression of interest in any firearm or shooting sport necessitated a trip to a gun show if he didn't already have what was called for.   The car seemed boring compared to shooting cowboy plus there was competition for my  time - needing to reload and needing to work on the car, do I go to the club event or the cowboy match, there was always a conflict.  I sold the car.   I would say the cost between them was about the same at the start but once Wonnerful Hubby joined, we went to a lot more matches and took a lot of out of state trips so ended up spending much more of our time and money on SASS.

On 7/8/2020 at 1:06 AM, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

It is a widely held belief that SASS, for many is their first entry into firearms competition.

It is also widely believed that the cost of the needed firearms is a barrier to participation.

I know the wire is not wholly representative of the game; but its the best resource I have...

So...  A few questions.

No.

If you answered NO; 

High Power, both Match Rifle and Service Rifle plus Long Range Match Rifle. Smallbore in my youth.

Full up Match & Service rifles plus all the other High Power gear tipped the scales at $11K to $12K.

Not really, sold off some High Power gear as my eyes and arthritis eventually made it less than fun.

If you answered YES

a.  What brought you to SASS as opposed to any other shooting sport?

Looked like fun, don't have to sling up and go prone.

d.  Did you have to/ choose to delay SASS because of the costs?

No, it did take a month or two to find or have made everything I needed.

I appreciate your time and insights.

Archived