SASS Wire Forum

Games before SASS

Creeker, SASS #43022

It is a widely held belief that SASS, for many is their first entry into firearms competition.

It is also widely believed that the cost of the needed firearms is a barrier to participation.

I know the wire is not wholly representative of the game; but its the best resource I have...

So...  A few questions.

1. Was SASS (or CAS) your first foray into an organized firearms competition?

If you answered NO; 

a.  What shooting game or games did you play prior and why start SASS?

b.  Was the cost of those games more or less than your SASS cost?

c.  Did you have to/ choose to delay SASS because of the costs?

If you answered YES

a.  What brought you to SASS as opposed to any other shooting sport?

b.  What hobby/ sport/ game did you participate in prior?

c.  Were the costs of the above more or less than SASS entry?

d.  Did you have to/ choose to delay SASS because of the costs?

I appreciate your time and insights.

Yes

a. Coworker was playing videos of himself and it looked fun. I never even considered anything else and still haven't; pretty sure that's not going to change. 

b/c-1 Golf - a lot cheaper to start, but over time it's more expensive. I put in a lot of time and money in equipment, lessons, etc. I was pretty good, but never could win any tournaments,  not even locally. 

b/c-2 Bass fishing - not expensive if you have a friend with a boat; otherwise you're looking at $10,000+ for a boat. Most of the tourney fishing I did was team fishing, 2 in a boat.

d. No. I borrowed guns for my first 3 matches, a lot of new shooters will not borrow for whatever reason.

No.

If you answered NO; 

I shot Bullseye *casually* in the mid-70's with a Colt Mk IV Series 70 and a Ruger Mk 1 678 with a factory Ruger muzzle brake. Just like CAS, I wasn't all that good at it. :lol: Why CAS? I grew up on a ranch, and still live on a few hundred acres of it, so "The West" was in my blood. My first rifle back in the mid-60's was a lever action .22, and my first handgun was a Colt single action revolver, both of which I still have.

More or less expensive is subjective - I still have both guns, and the price on the Colt box says $279. The T678 was made in 1963, and I probably paid under $100 for it used. So... $379... in 1975... when I was making $326.10/month wearing a Navy uniform. Online inflation calculators say that $379 then is about $1800 today. My first CAS guns were a .44 Super Blackhawk, a .45 Blackhawk, and a Rossi Overland hammer coach gun, all three of which I already had, and I added a new stainless Rossi '92 .45 Colt to get started. The SBH was a Christmas present some forty years ago, and the coach gun was an inheritance, so my outlay for the Blackhawk and '92 was probably around $550.

No.

If you answered YES

Friendlier people and lighter, less serious competition.

Bullseye, as stated above, bluegrass banjo/fiddle/mandolin/dulcimer, sport flying in a 2-place homebuilt.

The plane was a bit pricey, but I got my money back out of it when I sold it.

No, as stated above.

1. Yes

a.  What brought you to SASS as opposed to any other shooting sport? Most of the others were too "tacticool" with pompous elitists..SASS has only a very few of those

b.  What hobby/ sport/ game did you participate in prior? None ..I still do the other hobbies I always participated in, boating, clamming,yard work,tinkering with old guns

c.  Were the costs of the above more or less than SASS entry?Some less, some more...I had to sell some of my other guns to get SASS guns

d.  Did you have to/ choose to delay SASS because of the costs? No...within the first month after going to my first shoot I had all my beginning stuff.

So...  A few questions.

No

If you answered NO; 

Air pistol , 90's

Less

N/A

If you answered YES

Lever action martial skills. You guys are the Bruce lees of this action type.

African game rifles, wildcat design, big game hunting. Took too much of a toll on the old bod and ears.

Much higher.

I dont play SASS yet, Im a groupie and admirer, but I dont like dressing up. I am highly interested in absorbing the base skills, firearms and reloading knowledge people have both online and in person in this sport though.

I probably dont belong on this question as a non competitor :)

In order:

1. No

a. A lot of IPSC w/custom 1911's. .45 then .38 Super, muzzle loading rifle and cap & ball revolver competition, with custom rifle and Colt 2nd gen revolvers.

b. No, cost about the same

c. No delay

Have always liked the shooting competition sports. Shot a little bullseye, a little bench rest. Not so much shot gun competition, a little.

So...  A few questions.

no

If you answered NO; 

trap , skeet , sporting clays , IPSC , IDPA, 3D archery , golf , skiing, hunting deer, birds , predators 

any can be extremely expensive or on the cheap , but with 4 guns SASS is up there 

everything in life is delayed because of cost , just depends on where you’re priorities are at the time 

If you answered YES

looks like fun , found it easily available in my area 

trap , skeet , sporting clays , IPSC , IDPA, 3D archery , golf , skiing, hunting deer, birds , predators

Costs are kinda what you make them . What are your tastes , you can easily spend $4,000 on a clays gun , $2,000 on a set of golf clubs or you can use a Mossberg 500 and garage sale golf clubs . It’s all what you make it and what level you want to participate at . 

no just the covid and a couple of dams collapsing in the area I live :) 

Im just starting into it but my impression of SASS is it’s mostly retired men . 
As a complete noob I’ve also wondered why SASS doesn’t have a stage/class/match of some type that places a premium on accuracy? 

I know I’ve always enjoyed sporting clays and golf more than just about any other sports/competitions .

Maybe because in sc or golf you can miss and still be in it , in fact your not ever going to be “perfect” . But with games like skeet and trap you need to shoot 200 straight just to get in the shoot off . 

YES

a) was always around old timey guns, and like the idea of being able to shoot them in competition as opposed to punching paper.

b) none really

c) n/a

d) luckily had access to a sxs shotgun, and levergun so it wasn't a huge shell out of money at once.  third year in the game is when I got a new shotgun, and rifle.

6 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

It is a widely held belief that SASS, for many is their first entry into firearms competition.

It is also widely believed that the cost of the needed firearms is a barrier to participation.

I know the wire is not wholly representative of the game; but its the best resource I have...

So...  A few questions.

No

If you answered NO; 

Prior Games:

Steel Challenge, then Bug/IDPA, then 3 Gun

I liked the idea of SASS because it does not have the same reality of spending money to buy speed at each division.

Why SASS:

Don't get me wrong, it takes a lot of money to get into this sport, but there is not a 10:1 ratio between entry level and "advanced" divisions.

Once one gets past the cost of everything needed to get started, further costs are incremental rather than exponential.

Of the sports I participate in, SASS has the most level playing field. No semi-autos, no extended magazines, no red dots, no race guns. Well, besides that all guns in SASS benefit from slicking. This is said in comparison to the other sports; While SASS guns do not have to be slicked to participate, SASS does not have the same sense of stock versus modified guns and there are no "stock" and "race" divisions.

With all my wordiness, that brings me to the core of why I am getting into SASS. The equipment cost starts at the nose-bleed level, but after that it is primarily a game of skill.

Something about that difference seems to draw a different group of people, still competitive but not as wound up in themselves. The time at a match spent not shooting is more fun because of the people I have met.

The other games cost far less to get in to.

Steel Challenge requires a pistol. It can be .22lr. Need 5 magazines. If centerfire, add the cost of a holster. 9mm is cheap. Getting in was well under $1,000 total but I only had to buy 2 magazines and some plinking ammo. Maybe $100 to start including entry fee since I had everything else. But easy to spend $5,000 on a single race gun. My personal decision for this sport is to shoot what I carry. No race gear at all.

IDPA? Good to go after starting steel challenge. Bug? If the barrel is 4" or less, also good to go. The Sig SP2022 is good for all three listed sports. Same philosophy for me in these two sports, I shoot my carry.

3 Gun. Add an AR (<600) and a pump shotgun (<200) on top of the above, plus some mags and other gear. Now a 4th sport is open to play, but here also costs can climb and climb. But getting in is not that expensive. I'm shooting this with my carry and home guns so I did not have to spend much, but will climb the cost ladder here over time.

SASS:

This for me is a from-scratch sport. In theory, blue jeans are fine but I ended up buying boot-cut jeans so had no savings on the outfit at all.

Had none of the guns. Or other gear. Or ammo. And I can't afford this sport without reloading.

I could have looked for "starter guns" but know I would end up changing those out so churning them would take time and I would not be happy with them.

I figured I (anyone) could get in to this sport for $2,500 but my estimate was $5,000 inclusive of everything. And I know I'm going over that since I decided to also try running a '97 pump (and bought two). It would also be possible to spend $10,000 but I'm just not that good of a shooter for a huge budget to buy me faster times.

SASS is my most expensive shooting game.

Absolutely. Delayed over three years.

The folks at the local clubs are very willing to lend gear, and I have borrowed to try things out. But personally I can not take advantage for shoot after shoot after shoot and run down their ammo stock. I limited my borrowing to the amount needed to verify I did want to participate, and trying the guns I thought I might want and could afford.

Edit: I also consider the borrowing I did a debt I owe the sport, which I will pay forward at some point.

Yes. A couple of friends drug me to a Cowboys match up at Norco.

I was hooked as soon as I saw the costuming and absolutely fascinated by all of the gun carts.

No I didn’t delay getting into it, costs didn’t seem that bad and I already had a couple of guns.

Not my first shooting sport. 

I was heavily into the 1911 world.  IPSC, Steel Challenge, etc.

High end 1911s ain't cheap so I think cost is somewhat comparable.

I was able to sell/trade some of my modern guns to get into SASS so no, cost didn't delay me.  

Even though SASS isn't my first shooting sport I'm going to answer a question from that list anyway.  I was first introduced to SASS by the t.v. show Shooting USA on the Outdoor Network.  They did an entire show on End of Trail. After that I decided to find some local clubs to go check out a few matches.  One of the first people I met was an ornery old coot named Creeker.  I decided to join anyway. :lol:

7 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

So...  A few questions.

If you answered NO; 

If you answered YES

Yes! I never shot any organized shooting before CAS. I had a Ruger Blackhawk in .357  (You only needed one pistol in 1996) I bought a Winchester Trapper in .357 and a Stoeger shotgun.  I bought reloads at the range that I shot at and I borrowed a drop rig holster and belt. I had a leather Aussie type hat. I bought a leather motorcycle vest and I also bought a fairly cheap pair of boots. I got hooked from the very first shot!

We followed our kids to the "games they played".  Both enlisted in the Army - one right out of college and one right out of high school.  We looked for something we could do together because we often were in different places watching different kids for so many years.  This is our 20th year!

1Was SASS (or CAS) your first foray into an organized firearms competition?

NO

IPSC, Bowling Pins

For IPSC, for me, less than SASS (I shot L10 rather than Open).  I used a gun I already owned and did a lot of the work on it myself.  The holster rig was similar in price.  I think all told around $2500 to $3000 for the gun, mags, and holster rig.

I used the same gun for pins, but I also built up an Open class .22 pistol for the pins (and Steel Challenge), that gun came in around $1100.

Between those 2 games, I likely spent more than I spent for my first set of CAS guns

NO

Not my first shooting sport , either.

Shot in IHMSA silhouette several years, great game , but when I moved to an area that didn't have any near-by matches I kinda fizzled out. Plus my eyesight was beginning to go about that same time. 

Also shot some BPCR silhouette , but I sucked at that game , although I loved the rifles. Also shot some trap , but couldn't really afford to stick with that one.

I was a kid in the late 40s and early 50s , so grew up with Westerns. I knew I would love CAS and SASS. All I had to do was find a place to shoot. Turned out to be a club in Salt Lake , 175 miles away. This was in 1995 , it was the only one even that close. Luckily I was transferred to Farmington , NM in 1997 , and there was Durango only 40 miles away , with Farmington and Cortez starting clubs soon after.

I have bought , sold , and traded guns for around 60 years ( non- profit :lol:) so costs never entered my head. Once I found a place to shoot , I didn't delay 5 minutes.

I will stick with this game for as long as it or I last. 

Rex :D

No, SASS was not my first shooting sport.

I shot IPSC/USPSA for years even ran the local club

The cost of getting into any shooting sport can be high, but it depends on how deep you want to go with your equipment

When I started SASS I already had the guns so start up was no problem, but then the Wife and Sons got involved and the cost went up

I started in  SASS because it was still fun, the other was becoming a job and had stopped being fun 

8 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Yes

Friendlier attitude of the shooters

Sailing, fishing, woodworking

More

No

One other comment.  The event that introduced me to SASS was an Open House at what is now my gun club.  Among the various demonstrations was a group of SASS shooters, in period clothes, shooting a stage.  They gave me a chance to shoot one revolver, and that was all it took.  

LL

So...  A few questions.

1. Was SASS (or CAS) your first foray into an organized firearms competition? - If by "competition" you mean for fun yes; if you mean "competition" for staying alive well then no

If you answered NO; 

a.  What shooting game or games did you play prior and why start SASS? - Military war games

b.  Was the cost of those games more or less than your SASS cost? - Less, they paid me

c.  Did you have to/ choose to delay SASS because of the costs? - No

If you answered YES

a.  What brought you to SASS as opposed to any other shooting sport? - Wanted to get away from "modern" guns and have always loved the old west.

b.  What hobby/ sport/ game did you participate in prior? - N/A

c.  Were the costs of the above more or less than SASS entry? - N/A

d.  Did you have to/ choose to delay SASS because of the costs? - NO

9 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

1. Was SASS (or CAS) your first foray into an organized firearms competition? NO

If you answered NO; 

a.  What shooting game or games did you play prior and why start SASS? NATIONAL MATCH; BULLS-EYE; PPC; HUNTING

b.  Was the cost of those games more or less than your SASS cost? ABOUT THE SAME

c.  Did you have to/ choose to delay SASS because of the costs? NO

If you answered YES

I appreciate your time and insights. THERE WILL BE A SLIGHT FEE.

No, practical pistol was.  Shooting bowling pins with a highly modified S&W revolver sporting a Python barrel.

If you answered NO; 

Practical Pistol, Combat Leagues and dabbled in 3 gun.  I also hunted deer and elk with a single action Super Blackhawk.

Way more.....if you lost or SNAFU'ed you bought the beer.

No, transitioning  to CAS was inevitable.  I have been shooting single actions and lever guns my whole life.  I have been a cowboy my whole life.....besides I already had the guns when I started.  I once shot at a fancy trap and skeet range with a hammered Rossi side by side and annoyed the purest.  The second round I used my Red Label but still wore my boots.....

God Bless all Cowboys and Cowgirls too!

9 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Yes

If you answered YES

Honestly, it was like a duck finding water.  The humor, the attitude of the people, the competition.

Deer and turkey hunting

Significantly less

No.  I sold my turkey shotgun for money to buy our first pistol.  Borrowed guns for a couple of months until I could get the rest.

I think this was a great question.

1.  Yes.

a.  Typical of guys my age, I grew up watching westerns.  I had seen the SASS "time machine" ads in magazines and assumed they were reenactors shooting blanks.  Then in 1995 there was an article in American Rifleman that showed what CAS really was.  I joined immediately. 

b.  Bowling, softball, casual shooting.  I had shot exactly one IPSC match in my life, and was taken aback by all the F-bombs being thrown around in front of women and children.  I have NEVER seen that at a cowboy match. 

c.  Less

d.  No.

I was competing in local cowboy fast draw  matches, NRA indoor and outdoor bullseye contests, trap and skeet shoots and local long distance black powder events long before CAS with SASS.  ;)

My scoped Les Baer .45 ACP competition pistol was quite expensive. My 8 gauge 4-1/4" Parker double came from my Great grandfather as did my Sharps .50-140, I bought my AyA Matador 10 gauge 3-1/2", my S&W Model 41, and .38 bullseye pistols on my own. My .45 Colt OM Vaqueros, Bisleys, .357s etc. came later. My mother gave me a Colt.45ACP pistol and a S&W .44 Remington Magnum revolver. I bought all of my others over the years. I bought a .22 9 shot sentinel revolver and a Marlin .35 Remington carbine as a 14 year old teenager from Sears. I shot pistols competitively in middle and high school and at Dartmouth. After the Marine Corps, I flew to the family place as needed and started an investment banking house with four partners my father's age. Money was never an obstacle. :)5ht

I have now been happily shooting for over 80 years. This El Rey will be in a SASS match next weekend.:D

10 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Yes

If you answered YES

Husband shot it.

Water and snow skiing.

More for boat and four-wheel drive car.

No, my husband already had spare guns. I wore jeans, boots and hat that I already had.

So...  A few questions.

No

If you answered NO; 

ATA Trap shooter.   Started SASS for more varied action.  Trapshooting can get repetitive.

less in terms of initial outlay.  About the same in terms of continued cost.

No

So...  A few questions.

Yes

If you answered NO; 

If you answered YES

A friend/cow-worker who knew I like guns

tournament chess  https://new.uschess.org/

less

No, but I already had a single-action revolver.

Snidely Whiplash

- No

If you answered NO; 

- Bullseye, IDPA, IPSC, various clays (skeet, sporting clays, trap), 3-gun

- The people, mostly -- stalked a few local matches, saw a difference and like it. Have just about always owned a SA revolver, a lever-action, and a shotgun. Also, grew up on Paladin, Gunsmoke, Rawhide, Rifleman. Getting into SASS felt like pieces of a puzzle coming together.

- less, except 3-gun was about the same, adjusting for gun price differences over time

- no, but that was generally from selling guns to buy the guns

Cowboy "type" guns were always interesting to me … but .. there was no mileage in buying any of them to simply have around to show off at BBQs ..

Most guns live that kind of life … someone buys one … brings it out to show off once in a while … might even shoot a few rounds from the one box of ammo they got when they bought it (or not shoot it at all if it is a Colt ... it's so valuable ... ha  .. ha ... whew ..).

When the owner dies the gun and the partial box of ammo is discovered by family members ... AND ... one of them claims it … to live that cycle all over once more (and perhaps shoot a couple of more rounds out of that one box of ammo).

OR ... I guess if you were really into it ... you could put on a gunbelt … try to outdraw the guy on Gunsmoke every so ofter and then just put eveything  away again. 

Cowboy action shooting provides a venue to utilize these guns and really enjoy them. 

Yes

None - plinking. SASS looked like something I could without breaking my back

More

No

If you answered YES

Saw it on TV while recovering from major back surgery

Offshore/Inshore fishing

More

No

15 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

NO; 

a.  What shooting game or games did you play prior and why start SASS

Police pistol comp

Less

c.  Did you have to/ choose to delay SASS because of the costs

No, but I did get lucky and was able to get a good deal on Vaqueros and a Rossi. Made a bad choice for SG and bought a 2nd one

Watched a co-worker one time and I was hooked

1-  yes and no, I shot uspsa a few times and shot/ competed in muzzle loading matches once a month. 

2- cost was less, Hawkins rifle for muzzle loading,  and shot my single stack 1911.

3- yeah took awhile to get/pay for all the guns, gear and cart then to get set up for reloading ammo.

4-grew up watching westerns with my dad, loved being a cowboy. Saw a bunch of folks dressed like cowboys at the shooting range one day went to see what was going on and fell in love with what I saw.

No

If you answered NO; 

GSSF in 93, 94 and one Combat Pistol match in 1976

Far less for the Glock match (just the pistol and ammo) - Far less for the Combat because it was in its infancy and no one had race guns.

No - had a good job.

If you answered YES

Always had an interest in Cowboy stuff. Grew up with Westerns on TV and western movies and my friends who shot felt the same way.

LOTS,  RC cars, Fencing, Golf, Tennis, board games, Basketball, general shooting, touch football, foosball.

Pretty much all of them were cheaper - although RC Cars and Golf could be more now.

No  - had a good job

(Was SASS (or CAS) your first foray into an organized firearms competition?)
Yes.. "organized" being the key phrase

(Did you have to/choose to delay SASS because of the costs?)
No.
California waiting periods.

(What brought you to SASS as opposed to any other shooting sport?)
Desire to do this with my wife.
Allie Mo and Jimmy Frisco mentored us.  This was a BIG factor for us.

(What hobby/sport/game did you participate in prior?)
Snow skiing - too many people and lawyers today
Renaissance Faire - costume stuff and props; too many costume Nazis today
Live music - lost my band when our parents went into diapers; have not played in 5 years
Wedding photography - I'm not a young man anymore... strenuous
Loudspeaker design and construction - still in it
Motorcycles - still in it, but winding down

(Were the costs of the above more or less than SASS entry?)
More than SASS expense.

The "Expense" of SASS is not the dollars, it is access to practice.
I can practice all the above, at home.
SASS is a PITA with a 45 minute drive, each way, to the range.
A partner is required, range voting membership is required, range fees for two, cowboy town membership is required.

On 7/8/2020 at 2:06 AM, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

So...  A few questions.

No. 

If you answered NO; 

IDPA, then Steel Challenge (same IDPA gun), then USPSA (same IDPA gun), then a little clay shooting (new shotgun - won at IDPA match)

Less

Yes - and finally joined when I justified the initial costs because I inherited some firearms

On 7/8/2020 at 1:06 AM, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Yes and no...

If you answered NO; 

I was in the army and a paid "modern gunfighter" everything was a friendly competition between team members.

I got paid to do it, so much less.

No, I retired from the military and have a good paying desk job now.

If you answered YES

I dabbled in IPSC, IDPA etc. found that most of those competitors take themselves much to seriously.

Bass fishing, Motocross, Skydiving, Modern Gunfighter

Bass fishing=more, Motocross=more, Skydiving=more, Modern Gunfighter=I was paid to do it, but it is kinda hazardous.

CAS has a "friendly competition" air about it. Much more about the fun of competitive shooting than any of the other disciplines I have dabbled in.

On 7/8/2020 at 1:06 AM, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Archived