SASS Wire Forum

If Dad's wrote Children's books

One of the biggest jobs of a parent is finding things to keep kids busy - and possibly learn something. 

Many years ago our preschool granddaughter came to me complaining that the nail heads were working up on the boardwalk and that they hurt her bare feet.  She wanted me to pound them down. I found the light carpentry hammer and droppet it at her feet. She looked up at me in shock.  "Here, you want them pounded in, do it yourself.".  She took the hammer and peck, peck, pecked for an hour.  She pecked on nails that were already down. She pecked on nails that were holding the board and batten siding.  When she couldn't find any more nails to peck on,  she took the hammer to Sawmill Mary and gave it to her and said, "I always wanted to use a hammer.".

16 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

One of the biggest jobs of a parent is finding things to keep kids busy - and possibly learn something. 

Many years ago our preschool granddaughter came to me complaining that the nail heads were working up on the boardwalk and that they hurt her bare feet.  She wanted me to pound them down. I found the light carpentry hammer and droppet it at her feet. She looked up at me in shock.  "Here, you want them pounded in, do it yourself.".  She took the hammer and peck, peck, pecked for an hour.  She pecked on nails that were already down. She pecked on nails that were holding the board and batten siding.  When she couldn't find any more nails to peck on,  she took the hammer to Sawmill Mary and gave it to her and said, "I always wanted to use a hammer.".

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

My granddaughter has helped with a lot of our home improvement projects since she was 2. Did a good job of handing screws or nails. Her little brother is always trying to help, also, whether I want him to or not. It's amazing what they learn by watching.

Have they had electric hedge trimmers that long?

The children's clothing is screaming "late forties/early fifties". I did not know hedge trimmers had been in existence back then.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Have they had electric hedge trimmers that long?

The children's clothing is screaming "late forties/early fifties". I did not know hedge trimmers had been in existence back then.

Black & Decker began selling portable electric drills to consumers in 1946; they released a hedge trimmer attachment not long after that.  I have one on my garage shelf; bulky and heavy, but in its day it certainly beat manual trimmers.

LL

Another title I heard as a child:
"I want results, not excuses!"

As strange as it may sound, I believe I had that book as a child, maybe 3 or 4 years of age. At least with that cover art. If I remember correctly, the real title is We Help Daddy, or something along those lines. One of many books I had. Somethings don't change much. I'm still surrounded by books. No, they aren't "Golden Books"  or picture books for kids, either. :P

I did my share of helping out, too. I think in my case the book title would have been Pay Attention and Keep the Light Pointed Where I Told You!

31 minutes ago, DocWard said:

As strange as it may sound, I believe I had that book as a child, maybe 3 or 4 years of age. At least with that cover art. If I remember correctly, the real title is We Help Daddy, or something along those lines. One of many books I had. Somethings don't change much. I'm still surrounded by books. No, they aren't "Golden Books"  or picture books for kids, either. :P

I did my share of helping out, too. I think in my case the book title would have been Pay Attention and Keep the Light Pointed Where I Told You!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233620222458

Petey & his (go-kart) racing partner used BabyGirl as a mechanic - she had little hands that could get into places...

Archived