SASS Wire Forum

Brass Tumbler

Ozark Captain

I'm considering purchasing a Frankford Arsenal tumbler system for cleaning brass.  Are there other manufacturers I should consider?  Pros?  Cons?  I want to buy a good one and would appreciate your input.  Thanks, Ozark Captain

6 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Look hard at the Extreme Rebel 17 tumbler.

OLG 

B924F084-90A7-4C2D-9A18-75EAB830E718.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

What are the dimensions of the drum on the Frankford Arsenal tumbler .

Here's the  Frankford

I prefer the Lyman  I've had it for a couple of years and it's worked well plus I like the sifting pans better.

Look at True Square Metal Products tumblers 

I've had mine since the late 70's . Never had a problem and still works great

For the price, the Frankford has been great.  It can hold a LOT of 38s in the drum and they come out bright and clean.  The only downside is sealing the screw on end ports. It takes me a couple of tries to get them screwed on and not leaking but overall performs well and price is nice.

I have the Extreme Rebel 17 that others have.  Though it does a good job of cleaning as probably any wet tumbler does,  I WOULD NOT buy another one.  The drive belt on my unit started to break.  It didn't break completely, but it needed to be replaced so I bought another one.  Quite expensive for a little drive belt.  I'm sure I could've rigged something else up.  Also, screwing and unscrewing those 6 locking nuts is a pain in the butt.  I've never used a Frankford tumbler, but I've seen them in YouTube videos and if my Rebel broke, I'd probably buy a Frankford tumbler.  There are others out there like National Matellic, Lyman and maybe a few others.  I think those are all gear driven.  Check out YouTube for any reviews.

I have a Rebel 17 and a Frankfort Arsenal. I like them both.

Rebel 17 holds more, but as mentioned those 6 thumb screws are a pain in the butt.

The Frankfort is just a bout right for a matches worth of 38's(2 shooters).

If I had to choose just one it'd probably be the Frankfort, just for convenience. 

21 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I have a Rebel 17 and a Frankfort Arsenal. I like them both.

Rebel 17 holds more, but as mentioned those 6 thumb screws are a pain in the butt.

The Frankfort is just a bout right for a matches worth of 38's(2 shooters).

If I had to choose just one it'd probably be the Frankfort, just for convenience. 

There's a couple of different flavors for the Frankford tumblers.  The Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series with a larger tub that holds about 1,000 .223s and a smaller version that will hold about 300.  I think the other similar ones likely are comparable to Frankford's capacities.  Yes, thumb screws are a pain:rolleyes:

Instead of buying the factory replacement drive belt for my Thumlers I bought a vacuum cleaner drive belt that was the same size. Thumlers belts last 6 months if I am lucky. The vacuum cleaner belt has lasted over two years and was significantly cheaper.. 

Belt is "Eureka RD" part number 52100c.

1 hour ago, German Jim said:

I have the Extreme Rebel 17 that others have.  Though it does a good job of cleaning as probably any wet tumbler does,  I WOULD NOT buy another one.  The drive belt on my unit started to break.  It didn't break completely, but it needed to be replaced so I bought another one.  Quite expensive for a little drive belt.  I'm sure I could've rigged something else up.  Also, screwing and unscrewing those 6 locking nuts is a pain in the butt.  I've never used a Frankford tumbler, but I've seen them in YouTube videos and if my Rebel broke, I'd probably buy a Frankford tumbler.  There are others out there like National Matellic, Lyman and maybe a few others.  I think those are all gear driven.  Check out YouTube for any reviews.

Next time try a vacuum cleaner or sewing machine repair shop for the belt.

And buy 2. :D

OLG 

40 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Instead of buying the factory replacement drive belt for my Thumlers I bought a vacuum cleaner drive belt that was the same size. Thumlers belts last 6 months if I am lucky. The vacuum cleaner belt has lasted over two years and was significantly cheaper.. 

Belt is "Eureka RD" part number 52100c.

I'm on me second belt in 10+ yrs.

Do you have the low speed tumbler?

OLG 

4 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Here's the  Frankford

I prefer the Lyman  I've had it for a couple of years and it's worked well plus I like the sifting pans better.

Like my Lyman also , bought the frankford media separator that you can rotate , works much better than the sifter pans that come with the Lyman 

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Next time try a vacuum cleaner or sewing machine repair shop for the belt.

And buy 2. :D

OLG 

Actually, I did buy 2, but don’t ask me where I “hid” the spare. :(

I’ve broken one belt on my Rebel in 8 years and the first sewing machine shop that I went to had a replacement so I bought two.

21 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Frankfort Arsenal tumblers are the most cost effective.   I have two of them.   They work for 5-10 years and then you throw them out and buy another one.

I've been using mine for at least 15 years now and it is still going strong. The little roll wheel off and on switch on electric plug gave out two weeks ago. I removed it and added a buttsplice connector to the wire ends since I use it on a timer anyway.

21 hours ago, Johnny Longpants said:

For the price, the Frankford has been great.  It can hold a LOT of 38s in the drum and they come out bright and clean.  The only downside is sealing the screw on end ports. It takes me a couple of tries to get them screwed on and not leaking but overall performs well and price is nice.

Put a bit of grease on the seal before you tighten it down. I have not had leaks sense starting this . 

26 minutes ago, 3 Bar S S.A.S.S # 110073 said:

Put a bit of grease on the seal before you tighten it down. I have not had leaks sense starting this . 

Thanks for the tip, I will try it.   What type of grease did you use?

16 minutes ago, Johnny Longpants said:

I have a tub of axle grease in the shop just use a little bit on the seal .

4 hours ago, Johnny Longpants said:

On the rubber seal on my Rebel 17, I just wet with the water in the tub before I put the seal on.  You could probably use most anything.  Liquid soap, a bit of oil, some petroleum jelly, grease, or some silicone.  Water is the cheapest and easiest to come by.

On 7/7/2020 at 8:05 PM, German Jim said:

On 7/7/2020 at 4:55 PM, Ozark Captain said:

Are there other manufacturers I should consider? 

Dillon Precision lists two vibratory tumblers.  I bought the CV-750 in 1998 and  wore it out by 2012; on my second one now.  I also bought their case/media separator.  I broke the first one in a moment of clumsiness, my fault.  When I phoned to order a replacement they sent one free of charge.  Love the way Dillon treats customers!

Are there other manufacturers I should consider?  Pros?  Cons?  I want to buy a good one and would appreciate your input.

Captain - big mistake if one buys a tumbler with only one barrel. I have 3 dual barrel tumblers that allow me to clean mixed calibers (small and large) batches.  Two Harbor Freight 3# dual barrels and one Lortone 6# dual barrels

Couldn't be more happier with the makes and dual barrel tumblers

PS: Belts are the first to wear out and the Harbor Freight ones are on eBay at a cheap price. 

Archived