SASS Wire Forum

New Ubertie 73' rifle issue

Purly SASS # 57438

Anyone have any ideas as to why this just started.  Occasional the primer backs out after being fired causing the extractor to leave a fired case in the chamber as a new round comes up in the carrier causing a jam. 38 spl.

20200707_154611.jpg

Extractor probably also has a loose grab on the rim, or is even being lifted off the rim (when in battery) by a poorly fitted nose on that extractor.   As well as possibly too-large headspace

Headspace and extractor fit needs to checked by a competent gunsmith.

Good luck, GJ

13 minutes ago, Flash said:

May be the load is too weak or the flash hole is too small in the brass.

+ 1 on this idea.   Did you change your powder or load lately?

Check for binding of the firing pin.

IMHO ...  

Your firing pin is sticking in the bolt occasionaly ... (protruded) ... AND ...  the gun is firing right as the round seats in the chamber "but" before the bolt is completely closed. The firing pin spring may be responsible for the binding. 

The bolt is chasing the round into the chamber ... never getting a hold of it ... 

As a result ... the extractor never got over the rim and that is why the primer is protruding. 

The fired case remains in the chamber and the lifter brings up a new one and the bolt won't close because of the obstruction.

36 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

+ 1 on this idea.   Did you change your powder or load lately?

No change. Same load for years.

If I had that problem, I believe I'd call Lefty Wheeler & see what he has to say. First thought was maybe the brass has been run too many times, but that would probably result in split cases way before the primer problem. Headspace seems like a likely place to explore.

3 minutes ago, Purly SASS # 57438 said:

No change. Same load for years.

But new rifle? Slowly close the bolt with a bullet and make sure the extractor easily goes over the rim. I had a rifle I worked on a year or so ago that the extractor would not go over the rim and would ride on top. Had to close the head space some for it to grab every time. 

Ok, thanks for all the good suggestions.  My good friend, Lefty Wheeler come to my rescue.  By describing the problem he suggested the lever safty wasn't working and fireing the bullet before it was fully in the chamber. The safty was not working. After readjusting the trigger, Shotgun Boogy, the safty was back working. This mystery is solved, I hope. Thanks Lefty.

Glad it's solved. But for clarity.  You titled this "New Ubertie 73' rifle issue". That could be interpreted two ways. First, it could be a new rifle. Second it could be a new issue with an old rifle. Sounds as though #2 is the proper understanding.

There's still a good chance you have found only the first link of a problem chain. 

A faulty lever safety does not itself cause much problem.  But the firing of rounds with the bolt not locked up by the toggles because you are tripping the trigger without lever being closed  - THAT is the definition of an out of battery discharge.  THAT problem causes bent lever or bent lifter arm, which then means the bolt doesn't close far enough, and then you essentially have a head space problem.

All of these conditions can very well be tied together and some still occurring.   OP would still be wise to have a headspace check done!  Even if the lever safety is now working!

Good luck, GJ

28 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

> snip <

OP would still be wise to have a headspace check done!  Even if the lever safety is now working!

> snip <

+1

... AND ... most (sticking/binding) protruding firing pins are a result of the installation of an aftermarket pin (intentionally long) .. being installed w/o fitting. 

1 hour ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Glad it's solved. But for clarity.  You titled this "New Ubertie 73' rifle issue". That could be interpreted two ways. First, it could be a new rifle. Second it could be a new issue with an old rifle. Sounds as though #2 is the proper understanding.

Sorry about that. This is not a new rifle.

59 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

There's still a good chance you have found only the first link of a problem chain. 

A faulty lever safety does not itself cause much problem.  But the firing of rounds with the bolt not locked up by the toggles because you are tripping the trigger without lever being closed  - THAT is the definition of an out of battery discharge.  THAT problem causes bent lever or bent lifter arm, which then means the bolt doesn't close far enough, and then you essentially have a head space problem.

All of these conditions can very well be tied together and some still occurring.   OP would still be wise to have a headspace check done!  Even if the lever safety is now working!

Good luck, GJ

You are right about that. Head space checks ok. I compared the lever with one on another rifle. Checked timing and it is good.

Archived