SASS Wire Forum

Proper Medical Address

Noz

I like to use the proper medical address when talking to Health Professionals.

I currently am going through knee difficulties again and the medical professional in charge of my case is a Physicians Assistant. In the presence of several nurses, I called him Doctor. When he was no longer present one of the elder nurses corrected me.  "He is not a Doctor he is a Physicians Assistant"  Then tell me how to address him if I am not supposed to call him Dr.?

"Call him Todd. That's what everyone else calls him"

Just don't seem right to me?

Suggestions?

I have never been comfortable calling a doctor or a PA by their first name. I have called PAs “doctor”. I have had PAs tell me that they are not doctors. I always respond with “Well, you’re my doctor and that’s how I see it.”

I did have a nurse tell me not to call my PA “doctor”. I told her I will call her what I like unless she corrects me. The nurse them told me that my PA reports to a doctor. I told the nurse that I had never seen this mythical being and my PA is my “doctor“. 
She walked out in a huff. 

I have a primary care doctor that I like. She is a young new doctor. Apparently she is not “doctor” enough to be my primary care physician according to some bureaucrats at the medical center where I see her. I was told my doctor “is only a consulting physician and that she reports to a doctor Walker who is your primary care doctor.”

I told the desk jockey that said this to me that “Dr Walker can pound sand. I have never seen him and he has never seen me. He is not my doctor and if you insist on this tack I will go else where.”

Recently I found out that Dr Walker was inquiring about my condition through my Orthopedic back surgeon  I told him not to tell Dr Walker anything. He is not my doctor. 
I am now looking for a new primary care physician. Screw medical bureaucrats! 

I have asked 2-3 PAs how they would like to be addressed, all said “call me by my name”.  

If I called my Physician Associate Todd, she would either look at me funny, slap me, or both! :o

Her name is Amanda. ;)

My regular internist is a doctor and is probably 35, but looks 12.  I call him, “doc”.  I go to a PA to have these skin patches and skin rags removed and I call her, “Diana”.

My response would likely be something along the lines of "I'll call him 'Doctor,' 'Doc,' 'Ma'am' or 'Sir' as I feel appropriate. Just as I'll call my nurse 'Nurse,' 'Ma'am' or 'Sir,' as I feel appropriate. The education and licensure means to me the respect is earned. If, and only if, he insists I call him by his first name will I do so."

I recently became friends on Facebook with my old commanding officer. I called him "Sir," and he asked me not to. My response was "You'll have to pardon me, but 'Sir' is a tern of civility and respect for me, even beyond the military aspect. It is a challenge for me to not utilize the term in most situations. This is true when I do not know a person, but also particularly in those times I hold a person in some esteem, so to the extent I utilize it in our conversations, do keep the latter in mind."

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have a primary care doctor that I like. She is a young new doctor. Apparently she is not “doctor” enough to be my primary care physician according to some bureaucrats at the medical center where I see her. I was told my doctor “is only a consulting physician and that she reports to a doctor Walker who is your primary care doctor.”

I told the desk jockey that said this to me that “Dr Walker can pound sand. I have never seen him and he has never seen me. He is not my doctor and if you insist on this tack I will go else where.”

Recently I found out that Dr Walker was inquiring about my condition through my Orthopedic back surgeon  I told him not to tell Dr Walker anything. He is not my doctor. 
I am now looking for a new primary care physician. Screw medical bureaucrats! 

I think I would be right with you. If I couldn't pick him out in a crowd, and he do the same, he ain't my doctor.

Post Script:

I don’t like pretentiousness.  I have some letters that come after my name based on my profession, but I don’t use them outside my work.  I went to a seminar and one of the speakers had the following after her name “, PHD-ABD”.

I was a bit dumbfounded because I didn’t know what ABD was, so I looked it up.  It’s “All But Dissertation”.  She was saying, “I’m a PHD, except I didn’t write my thesis”, meaning she ain’t a friggin’ PHD.

On first greeting one, it's "Doctor."  If we develop a good relationship it will often be "Doc Surname." 
I've called PAs "Doctor" without them correcting me.

Nurses are "Nurse Surname" (if I can read it on their nametag), or "Ma'am" or "Sir."  If they insist I will use their given name.  

As Doc said above, I use "Sir" and "Ma'am" or "Miss" as a common courtesy, unless I have been told otherwise.  Even then I'll often revert to those forms out of habit.

6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

the only MD that I ever called by his first name,  was a longtime friend

Taking my Mama to the doctor in her later years was an adventure.  She was a nurse, and they had worked together for decades.  We'd walk in, she'd say "now, Frank....." and tell him what was wrong with her & what she expected to be done about it.  Being raised by her & my Aunt Gerry, also a nurse, I apologize to new (to me) doctors & give them the option to opt out.  And I have a great deal of respect for PA's and NP's.

I call one at V.A. "Blood Sucker", she sucks all the blood out of me she can. (Especially in October for Halloween as I accuse her) The other is Doc.

Archived