SASS Wire Forum

Bashed on the head!

I knocked a guy out once with a beer bottle.  I believe it was a Molson.  He got in a couple of cheap shots while I was using a urinal, but didn't realize that while one hand was occupied the other was holding a beer.  He went down like a puppet with his strings cut.  The Shore Patrol hauled us both in, got him some stitches, then took our liberty cards.

I was accidentally hit in the forehead with a baseball bat when I was 8.  I went down, but didn’t lose consciousness.  The school nurse sent me home to transfer the observation responsibility to my mother.  It was like a holiday, but I don’t advise a regular dose of baseball bat.

See the source image

I had two concussions in college athletics.  One was a head to head collision with a very large running back and the second occurred in a wrestling match when my opponent flattened my nose with his elbow.  I won the match, but I don't remember it and I walked back to the wrong bench.

My worst experience, however, and an answer to the original question, occurred on my wedding night (43 years ago) when one of my groomsman (a DC undercover cop whom I had played football with in college), gave my wife an early wedding present.  Unbeknownst to me, he had given her his black jack (please see the picture above - it's identical to the one I own) and told her where to strike me with it if I ever got out of hand. 

She did just that on our wedding night, as I was kneeling and removing my shoes.  No, I was not doing anything wrong.  She just thought that it would be funny.  I was not unconscious, but I went down like a sack of potatoes and had a large goose egg behind my ear.  I confiscated that black jack and it now sits on a shelf in my reloading room.  I look at it every day.  We found another one at an estate sale about 5 years ago.  It was in a purse that belonged to a 90 year old woman who was moving to a nursing home.  My wife didn't buy the purse, but I bought the black jack for $20 and it sits on the same shelf with the other one.  My wife is a cowboy shooter (gunfighter) and says if I get out of line now, she'll just shoot me.

I imagine everyone who responded that they had actually had such a wound will tell you:  you may shake your head once if you have a concussion but never twice.

Hit in the head? Yeah twice.

was 4 1/2, going up a ladder to go to bed, said good night to mom (hands off ladder) fell, fractured skull, six weeks in hospital. Father was building house we were living in garage. Father had to build stairs in garage before I could leave hospital. It took a while before I could climb ladders and I still get a weak feeling when I see someone high off the ground.

i was 22 I think, had a part time job in a packing plant. Sides of beef move around on tracks with a 7.5 lb trolley rail hook.  Sides might be 200 to 600 lbs, or more. I moved a side that went off the rail, the rail hook hit me in the head. Ooof. I was wearing an unpadded plastic hard hat,.a week earlier I would have been wearing a paper hat.

I’ve had a lucky life.

Archived