SASS Wire Forum

Bashed on the head!

In all the westerns at least once someone gets bashed on the back of the head with a barrel or butt of a gun. They're usually knocked unconscious for a while and then wake up and they always shake their head and feel the back of their head. Okay I know it's Hollywood but does this really happen? What about a concussion or busted skull or worse death. :wacko:

Has anyone got bashed on the back of the head, or bashed someone or know of someone. Just wondering what the REAL damage could be.:o

I investigated an assault many years ago a a young police officer where a nephew hit his uncle in the back of the head with the butt of a N frame Smith and Wesson with a 8 inch barrel.  He buffaloed  him because he missed the 6 rounds with the 44 magnum and still felt he had to share his anger with the uncle.  The uncle sustained a a massive skull fracture, brain injury and subsequent brain damage and was in a ICU for close to a month.  The nephew was convicted of attempted murder and went away for several years.....  Hollywood head hits are nothing but fiction.  

Every time I see a guy whacked in the cabesa  like that, I say “He’s dead or comatose”

Amazingly, I’m always wrong. Next scene he’s back upright. 

Except when Negan used Lucille. Then I knew that Abraham and Glen wouldn’t be gettin up. :D

9 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Just as bad as a shot to the shoulder.  Either one could cripple or kill.  Of course when the shoulder hits are " through and throughs" it's not a problem.  :lol:

It’s just a flesh wound. :lol:

13 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Just as bad as a shot to the shoulder.  Either one could cripple or kill.  Of course when the shoulder hits are " through and throughs" it's not a problem.  :lol:

Amazingly those bullets manage to pass right through and not to hit the collarbone. :D

I took a piece of riprap the size of a softball to my noggin once. I did not and could not shake my head without heaving. No thank you sir. I do not wish another. And everyone thought I was going to bleed to death. A real gusher.

Personally, I've been knocked out twice and both were diagnosed as a Brain Concussion.  

One of them, I don't remember a thing.   The 2nd one, I was a teenager.   I remember the incident, and was

rubbing my head cause it heart.  BUT..... I couldn't remember the day nor much about things that had happened

the previous days.    I do remember 'throwing up' later and being 'wooooozie' for a couple days.

My younger brother was hit in the head by a hard object like a pipe or bat and he sustained a serious

hurt..... but never lost consciousness.   XRAYs did reveal that his skull had a hairline fracture that ran from ear to ear, right

across the top of his skull.   To this day, about 40 years later,  he still hasn't suffered any brain damage due to that injury.

I ain't a doctor, but I guess its possible to crack a skull but the trauma might not be severe enough to disrupt the

brain functions.   I really don't know.

My skull didn't fracture, but my brain functions were disrupted.

My brother suffered a fractured skull with no apparent brain disruptions.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Has anyone got bashed on the back of the head, . . . . . . .  Just wondering what the REAL damage could be.:o

You'll probably need to ask Alpo.

I spent 6 years of my youth as a boxer, and the only time I've ever been knocked out was when I was horseplaying with other kids and fell over backwards, hitting the back of my head on a table.  I had a headache for about a week, and likely a concussion that was never diagnosed.  We were too poor to go to the doctor back then.  

I have a former colleague in the law enforcement profession that pistol-whipped a guy.  The guy was on top of a woman, strangling her.  It nearly resulted in her death, and our training had told us it only takes 6 seconds to strangle someone fatally.  So my colleague believed he was justified in shooting the guy, but like most cops, didn't want to kill anyone he didn't have to.  So he pistol whipped him once, gashing the top/side of his head wide open.

It worked.  The suspect was knocked off the woman, but never went unconscious.  My colleagued saved TWO peoples' lives that night -- the one being murdered, and her assailant, because his other option was to blast the guy's head off his shoulders.  

Internal Affairs didn't see it that way.  They ruled his use of force was unjustified, but admitted he would have been completely fine shooting the suspect.  The department's policy even states that in times of duress, "anything at hand may be used as an impact weapon."  So, in my opinion, they violated their own policy by ruling against him.  I told the Commander, "Sir, you just sent us all a message:  When in doubt, shoot the assailant.  So you'd better hope I never find myself in those circumstances, because I'm shooting the guy.  If you try to do anything against me for it, I'll have your @$$ in court."  

I cannot tell you how many times I have been knocked out. I have been hit with clubs and assorted things, banged my own noggin, hit with road (I hit the road) and the worst concussion I ever got was from a steel door that slammed right on top of the head. In nearly every instance I did not “wake up and shake my head” to clear it. Most times I had a mild concussion. I have a hard head. 
Once in the Navy I got hit with a nightstick by an over zealous Shore Patrol off the Carrier we entered port with.  We were in a Disco in Athens Greece and a fight broke out. The SPs rushed in and started clobbering folks. One of them hit me in the back of the head and I saw black. Apparently I went Berserker and busted up 6 SPs off the Ike. My shipmates got me out of there. I kind of snapped back into reality in the back of a taxi as we headed back to my Cruiser. 
The Captain of the Ike (Eisenhower) was very interested in finding the Virginia sailor that busted up a few of his SPs. No one rolled on me. :D

Edit: Damn, I hate auto correct! :angry:

I slipped on a wet floor and went straight back on rear of head.

Wife said I kind of moaned and wouldn't answer her questions (don't remember any of it)

after a bit she called neighbor (nurse).  Husband and wife both came over.  

she said to take me to ER, he asked what their names were (Greg and Annie).  All I could come out with was Egg and Grannie--kept saying it knowing it was wrong but couldn't figure out how to say it right.  Humorous when we looked back on it--at the time:  not so much

When I was an assistant prosecutor, I got to watch footage of an attempted convenience store robbery. The would be robber decided to smash a bottle of cheap alcohol over the head of an unsuspecting customer standing at the counter. Said customer jerked his head down between his shoulders, grabbed the back of his head as he turned, then ripped an uppercut up to the guy's chin as he stood there shocked that the guy didn't fall. The would be robber didn't get up too quickly.

Preparing for sparring once, I took a full speed spinning heel kick as a guy didn't realize I was close. Caught me right over the eye. Everyone there said I stood there staring for about five seconds, shook my head and continued what I had been doing before I realized I was bleeding profusely. As the guy who kicked me put it, "the lights were on, but nobody was home there for a moment."

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Amazingly those bullets manage to pass right through and not to hit the collarbone. :D

or that massive nerve cluster or a ball socket or any major arteries or veins or....or....or etc.

I have been reading some of Louis L'amour's short stories about his Panga Jim Mayo and Turk Maddon characters in the East Indies and the Western Pacific.  Both those guys got hit on the head multiple times in each story.  Sometimes they woke up later, but suffered no damage! :o  They also got into multiple fights (L'amour was a boxer himself, and loved putting a fistfight scene, even in his Westerns (most cowboys wouldn't fight with fists).  As far as "just shot in the shoulder" is concerned, that's almost as bad as gutshot!  The top of the lungs are right up in the shoulder.  If the lung is missed there is subclavian artery, the clavical, and a bunch of other structures.  Hollyweird and (as much as I enjoy LL's stories) writers mostly don't know their physiology.  Oh, well....

Stay healthy, Pards!

I've had 7 concussions from the age of 7 -23. A large variety of objects have met my head, all from the front of the head. I think I blacked out in all of to them to some degree.. But I'm alright, I'm all right.

It’s reminiscent of all those episodes in which Joe Mannix was in a fist fight and would get up with no bruises, swellings,  or cuts in his face.

8 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

I've had 7 concussions from the age of 7 -23. A large variety of objects have met my head, all from the front of the head. I think I blacked out in all of to them to some degree.. But I'm alright, I'm all right.

That explains a lot.:P:D:P

I tried knocking someone out with the butt of my pistol in 1958.  I can report, with confidence, that it results in a good spanking!

I was 5.  My brother was 3.  My father was not amused.

Getting hit on the head and knocked out didn't seem to cause Josh Randal any issues.

Based on how often it happened, he must have not minded too much. 

17 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Getting hit on the head and knocked out didn't seem to cause Josh Randal any issues.

Based on how often it happened, he must have not minded too much. 

Matt Dillon too plus he got shot about 100 times over the years!!

I've only been knocked out once.  I was hit square in the chest by a golf ball.  I was somewhere around 13 years old.  I remember turning around when my friend yelled at me and saw a golf ball approaching.....  Next thing I remember was a bunch of my friends and one of the neighbors standing over me as I lay on the ground.

They said I dropped like a rock.  The neighbor had been looking out his window when it happened and he thought I was dead.  The poor guy was white as a sheet.  I don't even remember being sore.  I went right back to whacking golf balls with my friends.

The neighbor bought us a big bag of plastic golf balls.

Angus

5 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Got knocked backwards off of steps one time. My head bounced off the sidewalk. My wife said I was unconscious for about 5 minutes.

I have no lasting effects from SQUIRREL!!!!

What was the question?

I got hit in the back of the head hard enough to split my scalp open and require over 20 stitches. Rung my bell but didn’t knock me out .

When the Dr was stitching me up he was feeling around between my skull and scalp for debris. Felt like someone was tugging on a ball cap that wasn’t there . Was a weird sensation  

11 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

Got knocked backwards off of steps one time. My head bounced off the sidewalk. My wife said I was unconscious for about 5 minutes.

I have no lasting effects from SQUIRREL!!!!

What was the question?

I had to check OP three times just to confirm it wasnt Alpo's question in the first :P

I took a fall on my front porch. Concussion in the front and subdural hematoma in the rear.  Resulted in almost a year of recovery: 60 days in the hospital and about 60 days of rehab.  After a year, I feel like I am about 70% recovered.   Balance is still poor and memory has big gaps.

Cartoon characters that get knocked out by a blow to the head are no longer funny.  They did not tell me until I was in rehab that the general opinion of the ER Doctors was that I would not make it thru the first week.

My last concussion was at rodeo school in Canada.  I had 2 previous outs at local rodeos. I blacked out coming out of the chute each time. At school, I came out, rolled left, the horses left hind foot caught my right eye. They got me up and said you need to go to hospital, I said hell, lets ride em. Doc looked at xrays and said it looks like a hairline fracture. I said, that's the 3rd or 4th for that one. Doc said maybe it's nothing new then.:ph34r:

Got hit in the forehead, just above the nose, with a police baton during straight stick training in the academy.  I made a 90 degree turn and fell to the floor.  Never lost consciousness but it sure bled.  7 stitches later, I was back in class.

Partner and I responded to 2 drunks fighting outside an apartment complex. Upon arrival yep, they were going at it. We just stood back waiting for them to wear out but it never happen. Partner told them to quit, but they didn't. So, partner took out his club and with all his force conk the guy on the back of his head. Man, I remember that pop. I thought he killed him. Everyone stopped including me and my partner looking at the guy. He just grabbed the back of his head and said, "Why you do that"? Nothing, the guy just shook his head whereas me and my partner got a little worried if nothing happen he might come after us. The other guy put his hands up, turned around then put his hands behind his back to get cuffed. The guy who got hit just sat down holding his head. The only good thing was that he was drunk and didn't feel much. So, off to the pokey.

22 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

In all the westerns at least once someone gets bashed on the back of the head with a barrel or butt of a gun. They're usually knocked unconscious for a while and then wake up and they always shake their head and feel the back of their head. Okay I know it's Hollywood but does this really happen? What about a concussion or busted skull or worse death. :wacko:

Has anyone got bashed on the back of the head, or bashed someone or know of someone. Just wondering what the REAL damage could be.:o

You forgot, being Hollywood....They need them for the next movie....

Texas Lizard

Bad guys are hard to come by.....

Archived