SASS Wire Forum

We are all teachers.

Every word we say or say not, every thing we do, or do not, is heard by someone and seen by someone, and from these, observations are made, and lessons, drawn.

I was obliged to perform my best friend's funeral -- no warning, no preparation, just stand and deliver, and I did.

After the final words were spoken, after I leaned heavily on my dear friend's bronze box and watched saltwater spatter run off the shining, waxed surface, the fire chief stepped up and shook my hand and spoke his thanks.

He also dealt me a good dose of humility.

"You might not remember me," he said, "I'm Heath Beal."

I remembered Heathie Beal, a little kid on a bicycle that just admired the hell out of the fire department and all that we did.

He continued, "I became a fireman and a paramedic, because of what I saw in you."

That brought me to a full stop.

What I'd done, meant something to him -- meant enough to him that it became the star by which he steered his career.

Well, it's happened again.

Twice.

An old friend's daughter is twenty now.

I remember her as a coltish twelve year old, all long legs and giggle, and now in her sock feet she looks me in the eye.

She was thrilled when my first book made print, she rejoiced when my second hit the market, and she couldn't wait for the third book to arrive, because she knew that her Uncle Linn had done it again.

Now she too is a published author; her book made the electronic media.

Her brother is a few years older than she.

He, too, is a fireman and he, too, runs squad, and he too has written and been published.

Hers is in the female detective genre, I have yet to read it -- supposed to hit market next month -- his will be out in November, and is written out of his background under the lights-and-siren.

Our young watch all that we do, and our young take inspiration from those actions worthy of emulation.

I find this a most sobering dose of humility!

Outstanding!

You are indeed a very fine example for which all persons should follow.  Bravo for being that shining example.

Nice job sir!

I am continually surprised by just the littlest things my son say me do that made an impression on his young mind. Heard him tell a friend that he learned how to fix something by watching his dad. Didn't know he was watching.

Way back when we used to show Paint horses, my son and his friends would take off on their bikes and run all over the grounds where we were. When he started showing, he wanted to go in the reining class, it was surprising to us that he new the patterns.

Archived