SASS Wire Forum

What distance to practice concealed carry..

All those distances seem a bit far to me for concealed carry. I personally wouldn’t want anything I’m concealing and carrying to be more than a few inches from my body 

5 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I was told this at several schools.

when you practice weak handed, fold your strong hand in so that your hand will be near your sternum. That will create a stronger bridge across your shoulders and might be the actual situation if your dominant wing is injured.

It's a question of balance, too.  Look at the old school 1 hand target stance. The off hand goes on the hip or in the back pocket.  The idea is to anchor the off side limb to the body.

Personally, I don't like the fist to the chest thing.  You just put a hand center of mass whilein the middle of a fight- where the majority of folks are taught to aim.  Sounds like a potentially bad habit to develop.  When shooting 1 handed, I keep the off hand in contact with my upper leg.

7 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

My concealed carry classes have always said. A threat at 20' can be on top of you before you get your gun out. Under your shirt or jacket does not lend itself to quick draw. They said to practice getting your clothes out of the way while drawing your gun. Also siad if anyone is closer than 20' to you, you're in trouble.

Ike

All the more reason to carry a knife, too. Mine stays clipped to the top of my offside pocket and I practice religiously at getting it out and open.  That 21 foot rule from the Tueller Drill works both ways.

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

All the more reason to carry a knife, too. Mine stays clipped to the top of my offside pocket and I practice religiously at getting it out and open.  That 21 foot rule from the Tueller Drill works both ways.

"Isn't that just like a cowboy. Brings a knife to a gun fight." (slightly paraphrasing Sean Connery as Jim Malone in "The Untouchables", 1987) :rolleyes:

36 minutes ago, Snidely Whiplash said:

"Isn't that just like a cowboy. Brings a knife to a gun fight." (slightly paraphrasing Sean Connery as Jim Malone in "The Untouchables", 1987) :rolleyes:

Considering the range stated, wouldn't that be bringing a gun to a knife fight?:P

Guns ain't the be all and end all.  Once you are that close, pulling one can be the wrong thing to do.  Melee ranges call for melee tactics and weaponry- unless we're in a movie and you are playing an expert in gun kata.  Once you can disengage and create distance (after all, firearms ARE a distance weapon),  then the gun comes into play.

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Considering the range stated, wouldn't that be bringing a gun to a knife fight?:P

Guns ain't the be all and end all.  Once you are that close, pulling one can be the wrong thing to do.  Melee ranges call for melee tactics and weaponry- unless we're in a movie and you are playing an expert in gun kata.  Once you can disengage and create distance (after all, firearms ARE a distance weapon),  then the gun comes into play.

My quote was just a joke, but to be serious, a knife would be on my "if I don't have anything else" list. I'm old and fat and don't have a lot of upper body strength. In my case I believe I'd be better off trying to increase the distance from an attacker,  or try to get something between myself and the attacker, such as a fence, parked car, wall, S.W.A.T. wagon loaded with police, etc.  In addition, carrying a serious defensive knife (to my mind, a non-folder with a 5+ inch blade in an easy to access sheath) would be hard for me to conceal in my standard work pants and short-sleeve outfits.  My concealed carry permit allows it, but a semi-auto and extra mag or two is the best I can do without looking like I'm shoplifting.

If it were legal in my state (WI), I would carry a sword cane (decisively out-reaching the typical knife), but our Attorney General informed me that "That's not a knife". I'm getting into the age range where a cane would look natural.

If I were attacked at work, where guns are prohibited,  and I couldn't escape/evade, I would augment the "cower-in-place" strategy with my pocket knife and hope for a surprise 1st strike, but I wouldn't be optimistic about the outcome.

Snidely Whiplash

On 7/7/2020 at 12:39 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Really:huh: How does that work when you are attacked from behind on a busy street?

Even though you are in 'condition yellow'.....

This was the 'environment' of my second SD event, many years ago.

OLG 

You need a team to go out on a busy street!  :)Obviously my statement wasn't meant literally, I guess I should have said something about situational awareness,

9 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

You need a team to go out on a busy street!  :)Obviously my statement wasn't meant literally, I guess I should have said something about situational awareness,

Not hard to miss-read situational awareness at times.

My years as a LEO did 'tune' me a good bit.

But, when it does 'hit the fan'. Your training/practice comes into play quicker than you think. 

OLG 

43 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

You need a team to go out on a busy street!  :)

And a mask. And disinfectant.  ;)

Check your local gun range for IDPA matches. Some require membership, most welcome nonmembers with maybe slightly higher entry fee. Shoot a match every month, watch other shooters for pointers. Most matches have 6-8 stages with each stage trying to be a real life situation. You can shoot either as open carry or conceal carry, great practice and loads of fun. Bring lots of ammo.

RRR

While my weak hand is Slower to get the shot off ,, accuracy is often better than my strong hand for the first shot ...

I shoot FCD so shooting one handed is natural , two handed not so much ...

I prefer Wheel Guns but if I use a Auto it will be a 1911 in .45 ...

Jabez Cowboy

I’ve read through all the posts in this thread and unless I missed it somewhere, no one has mentioned stepping back a few steps once a threat shows itself. Even 4-5 feet extends that 21 foot rule and may just give you enough time to bring a firearm into play before the threat reaches you 

Archived