SASS Wire Forum

Any of you old timers remember this band?

Nice 70's era group, a couple of their hits were, "Baby Im-a want You" and "Make it With You" they were kind of a soft rock band.

Late 60s early 70s “soft rock” group. “If” was probably their biggest hit.  Today it would be elevator music called easy listening/pop.

There were some REALLY good musicians in that band.

Because of Bread I got to have some sweet slow dances with some pretty girls. 

Thanks for the memories, Cyrus. :)

Yes. Very easy to listen to unlike Steppenwolf and some others I listened to back then. The 70’s were the best in my opinion.

I had that album!! They were a decent group.;) Lots of good old love songs!

IIRC the lead man for the group,David Gates,teamed up with Pete Carpenter of The Carpenters after his sister Karen committed  suicide.Together they wrote lots of theme music for television.

We probably heard more of their music than we even realized. 

Great group.   David Gates is the one on the far right in the photo.

He was basically the lead singer and song writer.     As already mentioned, "IF" was one of their big hits.

David also sang "Goodbye Girl".

If you wanna hear some really good music, go to YouTube and type in 'Bread'  or  'David Gates'.

Be ready to sit in your easy chair and relax.   I still listen to them all the time.

..........Widder

4 hours ago, Choctaw Jack said:

IIRC the lead man for the group,David Gates,teamed up with Pete Carpenter of The Carpenters after his sister Karen committed  suicide.Together they wrote lots of theme music for television.

Karen Carpenter did not commit suicide. She suffered from anorexia a valid medical condition which took her life 

Yup.

12 minutes ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

I never got a buzz from listening to music, however consumption of intoxicants while listening to music.

Precisely, Perro.

David Gates was part of the Tulsa rock gang that gave us greats like Leon Russell and J.J. Cale!!

Yes, my brother used one of their tunes for his first marriage.  It didn’t last.

17 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Very easy to listen to unlike Steppenwolf

I like Steppenwolf.  Still looking for a magic carpet ride.

10 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

I never got a buzz from listening to music

You gotta be kidding.  Try driving down a mountain listening to J S Bach's concerto in D for strings & continuo.

7 hours ago, MizPete said:

I like Steppenwolf.  Still looking for a magic carpet ride.

I like it but it’s not as easy listening to as Bread is.

On 7/7/2020 at 5:39 AM, Choctaw Jack said:

20 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Karen Carpenter did not commit suicide. She suffered from anorexia a valid medical condition which took her life 

20 hours ago, Choctaw Jack said:

HTH,

Thanks for the clarification.A tragic loss in any case.

Karen’s brother is named Richard, not Pete. Agreed, loss of one of the finest singing voices ever. She played drums for the band. 

Ethan,

Once again,thanks for the clarification. It was ,of course,Richard,not Pete.

(Seems like this week has been one long senior moment).

As long as this thread is expanding to encompass more great music from Bread’s era, all for the purpose of enlightening young Cyrus Cassidy’s breadth of harmonic knowledge...

Richard Carpenter was the first producer who used multi-track recording to allow one singer to lay down multiple tracks and create their own song in harmony with themself. 

The Carpenters’ “We’ve Only Just Begun” was the first #1 hit to use that technique. Bobby McFerrin’s “Don’t Worry.  Be Happy.”  Is probably the most recent. 

And since I knew Cyrus would ask, here is Karen in all her amazing glory...

The only female voice you hear is her. 

On 7/7/2020 at 6:43 AM, Yul Lose said:

Yes. Very easy to listen to unlike Steppenwolf and some others I listened to back then. The 70’s were the best in my opinion.

Best music, best muscle cars (70-74 that is) and Love those 70's hair styles^_^ Chicago's "Old Days." Good times I remember, Gold days, fulled with simply pleasures.

Archived