SASS Wire Forum

Fantastic Wyoming Territorial Championships

Russ The Red

In the midst of a very trying year, the Border Vigilantes put on one Hell of a championship match. Hell on Wheels, for all the shooters I saw and talked with, was outstanding and just what the good Doctor ordered. But, in every shoot there is never enough time to really "Thank" the hard workers in the background, so I'm here to give a big shout-out to Assassin's team starting with his wonderful wife Belle, Water Boy (from Chey-Cast), and Hawkeye Sam ( a great RO instructor) and his wife. Lastly, I want to thank the writers of the 12 stages, who gave us plenty of movement, thought provoking sweeps, and an excellent Top Gun shoot-out. By the way, keep an eye on Cimarron Sonia as she won overall Top Gun while remaining as cool as a cucumber in going up against Cobra Cat, who was as gracious in loss as he is humble in victory.

I couldn’t agree more! This club always does a grand job at their monthly and annual shoots. We all enjoyed ourselves immensely and I will continue to come to this shoot year after year. This is one of those shoots that would draw 500 people it’s that good. 

HoW is a wonderful shoot.  We were blessed with great competitors, great weather, great stages and a great venue.  July 2021 will be a long wait.  It’s a great trip to make to shoot HoW.  It just so happens to be in a very beautiful part of the country.  Last year I stopped by Chimney Rock on the way home to SE Nebraska.  This year we went to Mt. Rushmore and Devil’s Tower.  Breathtaking.  We have plans to go to Custer State Park next year.  Fun stages.  All 12 were different. The warm up stages got you time to work out a bug or two.  Can be four days of shooting if you try your hand at the shoot off.  Job well done.  The Border Vigilantes should be proud of their hard work.

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Lot's of hard work...and it paid off! Well done and hats off to the Border Vigilantes for another excellent Hell On Wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phantom

Notice I didn't mention who wrote the stages! I shall remain a secret. 

6 hours ago, Russ The Red said:

Notice I didn't mention who wrote the stages! I shall remain a secret. 

Assassin deserves mentioning. Worked his Assass off:o

I was honoured that he used one of my stages.

Phantom

Phantom did write a couple of the stages. We also collaborated on many of the stages in order to make them flow smoothly and allow options.

Evidently, many shooters have never shot stages with a lot of movement. For those that have not shot in this part of the country we don't just place 2 tables on a stage and move two steps laterally to the second shoot position. We generally have 3-4 shoot positions with 3,4,5,-------steps in between.

I realize most ranges can not accommodate this type of movement. Shooters appear to enjoy these types of stages and I feel it's what will attract the next generation of shooters. 

Belle Drewry, my bride, takes care of the administrative duties and that is something I don't enjoy. She is the driving force behind the operation of the match.

I just build stuff and carry heavy things. Although, I'm rather proud of my new shotgun target design.

We did have a Covid 19 side match. 19 targets, all targets 6 feet apart, shot from 3-4 positions, all knock downs. It was fun and I think shooters really enjoy an all knock down stage now and then. Most shooters only had to use a couple shotgun rounds to take all the targets down. 

Once again, a big salute to all those that helped with HOW, and all those that attended. We'll come up with more fun stuff next year.

Archived