SASS Wire Forum

Reloading questiond

Phoenix Rising

So I have a Dillion 650 have reloaded 45 colt on for years.  Mostly I guess the brass came from me buying new ammo shooting it and using the brass again.  I must have added some new starline brass somewhere along the line but I don’t really remember
With more time on my hands l was close to using up all my old brass about 1500 hundred rounds and ordered 500 hundred new starline 45 colt brass

this brass has been really hard to work with. On that second loading point where the brass gets belled out it is heck to get it to come back down. Sometimes shakes my loading bench

is there someway to bell out the brass before using it. Open to any suggestions

Ok, a couple of things, first off .45 LC brass is fairly thick so there are some tricks.  Like @Choctaw Jack said you can anneal your brass that will make the top portion much softer so it'll work better.  Second check your powder/bell die make sure it's clean you may have a build up of crud.  Third, before I load .45LC I spray the cases with Hornady One Shot it makes the brass noticeably easier in the dies.  Hope this helps.  

Lube the occasional case mouth inside with non petroleum lube. The new brass is sticking to your case belling die. Your not experiencing the sticking with fired cases is most likely cause they have either residual bullet lube or polishing residue from tumbler media. There are several case lubes that will work, Hornady One Shot like Tequilla Shooter recommends and many others. I use Lee myself.

Known problem with new .45 Colt (and Cowboy .45 Special) brass.    Starline knows about it, and has a new profile they will machine into your powder-drop expander tube.   Contact them!

Until you get to that, yes, you need to lube the inside of case mouths.  Hornady One Shot case lube is enough to make it easy to lower the shell plate/ram after expanding the mouth.

Good luck, GJ

You need to use this  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012767842?pid=319390 

on the new cases, simply dip them into the dry lube container before you size them. The dry lube lubricates the inside neck of the case to prevent it from sticking to the belling die.

TB

A little Hornady OneShot lube (or what you have available) on new cases helps a bunch. Get some inside case mouth too. Normally, after a couple loadings it shouldn't be necessary for pistol caliber brass if you have carbide sizer. Not sure about Dillon 45 Colt expander issue though (make sense).  

Archived