SASS Wire Forum

A monument

You might think the Filipinos would tear it down.......

Let’s send some Black Lives Matter people over there and egg them on to riot and tear down the statue!!

Seriously, I believe the average Japanese tourist will have mixed feelings about this monument. I can understand the statue and it’s purpose.  I hold no grudges against Japan, although I really have good reason to.

I find it foolish, that the Philippine government would allow the statue to be erected  regardless of the possible economic benefits.  A great many people will find the statue offensive, including many Japanese people.  

In my opinion, the Philippines not a place where you go to look for great thinkers.

Cat Brules

Maybe the next monument should be the brave Jap soldier with a katana in one hand and a Nambu in the other, making a statement of their 'brave and honorable' service during the Bataan death march?

As a rule I honor anyone who fought for his country, whether I find his country's policies  acceptable or not.

But putting this statue anywhere but in Japan shows tremendous insensitivity.

Duffield

Since this statue commemorated a suicide that, if successful, took many other lives as well, then, by that way of thinking, they could put up a statue of an islamist suicide terrorist, as well.  Both groups did, and do, what they did, to honor their "god".

Not sure I can see any difference, other than one went after military targets, and the other goes after military and innocent men, women, and children civilian targets. The difference is not an honorable one.

Is this anything anyone should commemorate?

My Dad, who fought in the Philippines, in World War II, would have been freaked out by this. 

W.K.        

Tearing down statues in the U.S. doesn’t really have anything to do with racial differences.  It’s about an organization run by Marxists.

Archived