SASS Wire Forum

Question about Marlins

You can shoot most anything out of the box, but you will be much happier if you at least replace a few springs and maybe a one piece firing pin.

Longhunter is a good place to start.

https://www.longhunt.com/storelh/index.php?route=product/category&path=88_93

Irish Tom

Years ago I purchased a Marlin before Remington started making them.

I replaced the springs and added a one piece firing pin. It was great after that.

I heard a lot of stories about there quality in the last few years. 
Was wondering if they had improved enough to do the same to 

a new gun.

Or should I buy a race ready Marlin 

47 minutes ago, Roanoke Rifleman, SASS #30256 said:

Are the Marlin 1894 c b rifles being produced ready to go out of the box

or do they need action work.

I was advised that mine at least needed to have the white blacked out on the rear sight to be legal.

23 minutes ago, Roanoke Rifleman, SASS #30256 said:

I heard a lot of stories about there quality in the last few years. 
Was wondering if they had improved enough to do the same to 

a new gun.

The years Remington took over Marlin,  the quality went from bad to worse.  But I have seen a the latest ones look really good.  I hear they perform better to.  If you find a new one in a gunshop,  check the date of manufacture.  The newer the better.  Or the older the better.  

14 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

You can also try here Pioneer Gunworks  They have a kit (get steel firing pin) with springs $35.00.  I put that kit in mine and it runs good.  They also have Marbles front sights.

I also agree with getting the steel (or SS) firing pin.   Don't go with the Ti.

..........Widder

Rifleman,

'Action work' also comes with various degrees of improvements.

Kinda like 'race ready' has various meanings.   Even the snail riding on the back of a turtle will be yelling.....'Weeeeeeeeeeeee'.

From the few comments I have heard AND of the few 'Remlins' I have checked out the past year, the more

recent Remlins are much better than those first couple years that Rem was making the Marlin.

I might also add that some of the Marlin produced during their last year of operations were not exactly

good stuff either.

If I were wanting to buy a Marlin right now, I would buy the new Remlin made during the past year.

You're more likely to get a good rifle that will perform well with aftermarket springs and a 1-piece FP.

And as Lumpy taught me..... keep your screws tight.

Good luck.

..........Widder

We;ll  see what happens if the Navajo Nation purchases Remington.:mellow:

Largo

52 minutes ago, largo casey #19191 said:

We;ll  see what happens if the Navajo Nation purchases Remington.:mellow:

Largo

Will never happen.....

OLG 

Before the virus shut down the gun shows, I would go to most every one within a 200 (or so) mile radius.  I would go to gun shops as well.  I have seen some really bad Marlins, and I have seen some better one's.  Sometimes I think Remington is doing better, other times....not so much.   

From my own personal experiences, and I am not speaking for anyone else....the new Marlin quality is not yet consistent. 

I have no idea why that is. 

If I bought a new one, it would not be a spur of the moment purchase, and I would carry my fine-tooth comb with me, to look it over...before I plunked down my hard earned inflated paper money for it.  I would think I would just have to have some work done on it, after purchasing it.  It ticks me to think that has to be done, but seems like that is a common thing to have to do.  It is what it is....or, as some would say: "it are what it are".   

My Two Bits.

W.K.

3 hours ago, Roanoke Rifleman, SASS #30256 said:

I started to bid on one on G.B. but didn’t want to take a chance.

So I ordered one from Longhunter, he has always put out good 

guns for me. 

I think you made a wise choice.

..........Widder

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I don't think any gun manufacturer anticipated their guns to the put to the torture and abuse they are subjected to in CAS. 

I dunno why not.  Every action shooting game involves the same level of "torture and abuse".  It ought to be expected and guns built to shine.  Granted, prices would be higher, but the quality would be worth it.

No manufacturer [certainly not uberti, winchester or marlin with the possible exception of ruger which overbuilds it’s SA’s] builds anything for serious competition or extreme use. That’s why the aftermarket gunsmith, custom builders and aftermarket parts are such a huge industry for competitive use equipment [AR’s, cas firearms, Jeeps, etc]. War and real competition will test anything to the extreme and show it’s defects or weaknesses.

Archived