SASS Wire Forum

Wondering about storing ammunition in an old unused freezer

Sweet & Sassy Cindy

Hey Y’all,

question for anyone that wishes to contribute their opinion. I have an old unused top loading box freezer. I’m out of room in my gun closet for ammunition and was thinking about storing the over flow in the unplugged, unused freezer. The freezer is inside my home, so it’s always climate controlled? Good or bad idea?

I take it this is a chest freezer.

It will work, even if not the best ammo locker.   Main problem - reaching down into it to retrieve ammo.   If you could fill bottom layer with something to act as a riser, then set ammo inside of milk crates and set crates on the blocking, you would not have to lift heavy stuff straight up from 30" below your waist.

If you plan to lock it, put in some "blow out ventilation holes" so in case of a fire the freezer would not explode and toss shrapnel. 

Would be nice to the environment if you could get a repairman to drain the refrigerant, too.

Good luck, GJ

4 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I take it this is a chest freezer.

It will work, even if not the best ammo locker.   Main problem - reaching down into it to retrieve ammo.   If you could fill bottom layer with something to act as a riser, then set ammo inside of milk crates and set crates on the blocking, you would not have to lift heavy stuff straight up from 30" below your waist.

If you plan to lock it, put in some "blow out ventilation holes" so in case of a fire the freezer would not explode and toss shrapnel. 

Would be nice to the environment if you could get a repairman to drain the refrigerant, too.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks GJ,

I didn’t think about having to pick the ammunition straight up or vent holes.

Thank you!!

Along with the riser in the bottom I would add a small light bulb to keep the humidity under control.

While not as humid as FL, I store my powder & primers in a non-functioning refrigerator outside.  I nearly 30 years, I've not had a problem.   But, as GJ sez, If you lock it, do something to vent any pressure from a mishap.  And something to set the ammo on so you don't have to lean as far is a good idea!

Cindy,

As suggested before, beware of condensation in your freezer. 

If you have some old pantyhose or odd socks,put a cup or two of crystal-type cat litter in them and tie them shut,and put them in with your ammo.

Very inexpensive moisture absorbers

It could work. Since you keep it inside, I would only be concerned about temperature and humidity swings. If the temperature is always within a few degrees and humidity is under 50% should be no problem. And even then, some "dessicant in a bucket" would probably control it.

Or take the freezer outside and throw some 00 buck loads through it in a pleasing pattern.

Or better yet, go find a nice piece of used furniture for the ammo. An old freezer is just plain ugly and 00 buck holes only can help that so much.

+  1 for Chocktaw Jack’s recommendation to create “dessicant packs” and just tossing them in the freezer.  

I think storing ammo in the unused freezer is a good idea.

i do not recommend keeping a lighted electric bulb in the freezer.  That can create unwanted situations we can’t foresee, and some we can.  Again, I agree ....use the homemade desiccant packs.

For a boost or riser, a quick fix is to put cardboard boxes in, of the right height, then lay a custom-cut piece of 1/4-inch plywood on top.  This riser is really a critical thing to consider.  My suggestion may not be the best solution, either....just a quick thought.

Cat Brules

I have stored all my powder and primers in small office refrigerators for years and have never had a moisture problem. They are all outside in a storage shed to keep them away from the house, so they do have temp swings. I lock the shed but not the fridges, need them to blow open easily if necessary.

On 7/6/2020 at 3:13 PM, Lone Rider, SASS# 73063 said:

Along with the riser in the bottom I would add a small light bulb to keep the humidity under control.

If you are going to raise the temperature inside to reduce the probability of condensation use a golden rod.   An incandescent lamp could explode.

I can only comment on the tropics, but sounds fine to me. And I am assuming you mean the freezer is not plugged in. My hometown region humidity is basically 'amazon', since we share the same forest type and latitude.  An unused freezer to my way of thinking is just another box, probably with its insulated sides slightly less prone to rapid temp variations( not that we have any here) and should be fine. They are semi-lockable with some basic hardware, securable against kids and opportunistic threats at least.  I have seen larger fridges uses as gunsafes. Dessicant packs in stockings are a good idea as well.

I’m a nuisance hunter for deer.  I fill my freezer with meat.  Ammo goes in the barn.   Really I just wanted to say hi and to send hugs

3 hours ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

I’m a nuisance hunter for deer.  I fill my freezer with meat.  Ammo goes in the barn.   Really I just wanted to say hi and to send hugs.  Hey there,

well I’ll take your hug and appreciate your hello!! I’ve got two freezers, but only need the one now. Hope to see you soon! Thanks!!

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 9:21 PM, J.D. Daily said:

If you are going to raise the temperature inside to reduce the probability of condensation use a golden rod.   An incandescent lamp could explode.

I have used a low wattage light bulb in a small freezer where I store my welding rods for over twenty years  to reduce moisture and have never had a problem.  I have had light bulbs burn out, but have yet to have one explode.

Hey Miss Cindy.  PM me with your email address, and I'll send you pics of the set up I've been using for over 10 years.  Stores my long guns as well as ammo.  It's a converted upright freezer with a hidden locking feature.  As far as humidity goes, the "freezer" stays outside in the humid garage, and all I've ever used for humidity control is an opened bag of Damp-Rid.

Scratch that.  I'll PM you with my email address.  Send me an email and I'll respond and send pics this evening.

20 hours ago, Sweet & Sassy Cindy said:
On 7/8/2020 at 5:02 PM, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

I’m a nuisance hunter for deer.  I fill my freezer with meat.  Ammo goes in the barn.   Really I just wanted to say hi and to send hugs.  Hey there,

well I’ll take your hug and appreciate your hello!! I’ve got two freezers, but only need the one now. Hope to see you soon! Thanks!!

hope to see you in november at the ides make up,,  I'll bring extra backstrap for you!!

10 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Hey Miss Cindy.  PM me with your email address, and I'll send you pics of the set up I've been using for over 10 years.  Stores my long guns as well as ammo.  It's a converted upright freezer with a hidden locking feature.  As far as humidity goes, the "freezer" stays outside in the humid garage, and all I've ever used for humidity control is an opened bag of Damp-Rid.

Scratch that.  I'll PM you with my email address.  Send me an email and I'll respond and send pics this evening.

I emailed you. Thank you!!

Archived