SASS Wire Forum

Not Torqued To Spec

Subdeacon Joe

I would be willing to wager that the pictured drain plug/oilpan had been impacted on something and cracked ( with no leakage) prior to attempting to remove the plug.

Imis

5 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I would be willing to wager that the pictured drain plug/oilpan had been impacted on something and cracked ( with no leakage) prior to attempting to remove the plug.

Imis

Exactly what I was thinking - vulnerable, exposed low point on the oil pan, combined with famously rough and uneven Turkish roads.  

LL

9 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Imis

There you go, ruining perfectly good, clean humor with rationality!  :P

11 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Imis

Actually, the oil was already long gone from all the leaking seals and gaskets.   The scrap metal dealer ruptured the empty oil pan while dragging it up on the rollback. 

This reminds of a recent discussion in my plant.  Two production employees were watching a maintenance tech change a stone wheel on a pedestal grinder.  The maintenance tech reports to me.  The two plant employees said that they wanted to be able to change their own wheels.  I was doubtful since I have seen their 'work.'  So I reminded them that the wheel nut was left-hand thread and took a special left-hand wrench.  The seemed to accept this without question (proving my point).  I noticed that the maintenance tech had to wipe the tears of laughter away.

12 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

This reminds of a recent discussion in my plant.  Two production employees were watching a maintenance tech change a stone wheel on a pedestal grinder.  The maintenance tech reports to me.  The two plant employees said that they wanted to be able to change their own wheels.  I was doubtful since I have seen their 'work.'  So I reminded them that the wheel nut was left-hand thread and took a special left-hand wrench.  The seemed to accept this without question (proving my point).  I noticed that the maintenance tech had to wipe the tears of laughter away.

I can't tell you how much fun I had over the years by walking up to the tool counter at a Sears asking (with a smile, of course) where they kept their left handed wrenches.

The folks that knew what they were doing would grin and say something smart back ("They are right beside the board stretchers," was the best one).  Those that didn't would start pecking away at the computer or racing around the department looking for them.

19 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Same kid that put on my lug nuts!

Sorry about that No one told me that Dodge lug nuts where left handed but I did get to pay for your New wheel studs... I learned 

6 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

walking up to the tool counter at a Sears asking (with a smile, of course) where they kept their left handed wrenches.

They are always next to the metric adjustable wrenches.

12 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

They are always next to the metric adjustable wrenches.

I have 400 MM wrench from a Volvo truck tool kit !! it has WON me quite a few bets 

6 hours ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

Sorry about that No one told me that Dodge lug nuts where left handed but I did get to pay for your New wheel studs... I learned 

Chevy man myself. 

On 7/8/2020 at 8:28 AM, Dirty Dog Doug said:

That's why Dodge wheel studs have an L or and R stamped on the end so that you know which way to turn them.

On 7/8/2020 at 12:42 PM, Michigan Slim said:

Chevy man myself. 

Well there is your problem richt there. 

Problem was caused by using an unsafe metric spanner when they should used  an crescent wrench.

2 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Well there is your problem richt there. 

Problem was caused by using an unsafe metric spanner when they should used  an crescent wrench.

Crescent wrench!?! What, ya never heard of Channel Locks!!!?

On 7/8/2020 at 6:44 AM, Dirty Dog Doug said:

I have 400 MM wrench from a Volvo truck tool kit !! it has WON me quite a few bets 

At work I use 300mm calipers for measuring stuff between 8" and 12".

On 7/8/2020 at 6:28 AM, Dirty Dog Doug said:

Only on the left side.
On my brothers 1941 Powerwagon we spent a few hours trying to get the wheels off just after he got it.  Then we noticed the "L" on the stud.

On 7/7/2020 at 5:52 PM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Depends on who is on the other end of that box wrench! :o

hulk-768x478.jpg.3076abfbb41db12e810af1891e9408c5.jpg

i thought this was a pic of the Pietta screw tightner?

2 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

John  if you saw my work, you would never accuse me of being professional. 

That just means you need a set of Vise Grips.

And make sure you have needle nosed Vise Grips in a couple different sizes.  They are the tool of true professionals.

11 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

That just means you need a set of Vise Grips.

And make sure you have needle nosed Vise Grips in a couple different sizes.  They are the tool of true professionals.

I will, I will. I always wanted to be a professional, now I are one.....:lol:

Archived