SASS Wire Forum

Florida: The Way it Should to Be Universally

Having accumulated so many other guns over the years, I never saw a real need for a personal AR15 type rifle since retiring from the Army.  However, I recently rethought my position given the current events unfolding across our country. 

I did the necessary research and decided on an FN...they make the M4 and M249 for the Army which are in my mind, the best small arms for soldiers we've ever had.  The FN15 DMR II ( Designated Marksman Rifle) had some of the best reviews and the right specs for my purpose.  Its design, build, and function were the same as those rifles I used for so many years!  It was like coming home to familiar territory.

I then saw where the DMR II was on sale at my local gun store for $600 off the MSRP.  I walked into the store, told them what I wanted, showed them my driver's license and CCW, filled out the paperwork and gave them my VISA card. A grand total of 25 minutes later, I walked out with my new rifle, (4) 30 round magazines and 500 rounds of 5.56 ammunition.

Obviously, I'd prefer that a CCW wasn't required but given what I've seen in too many other states, I'll reluctantly accept the reality of it...for now.  Having said that, a relatively gun friendly state like mine is the way I feel it should be all over the US. But as I always say, that's just the view from my foxhole!  :D:FlagAm:

Being able to show a CCW as proof of good character is a nice thing. Tennessee is one of the states which does not do that though it would be legal under federal law. But this state does something different/extra so still have to do the 4473/NICS check here.

Also, if one buys two or more guns, the local sheriff needs to be informed. Found that out from my FFL when I bought the pair of 1973 revolvers for this sport. And it was the first time this FFL had that situation so he called the sheriff like the good boy he is...

And the sheriff responded something along the lines of: OK... Um... I guess you can consider us informed. This state may have a few quirks, but my county is very friendly to law-abiding firearms ownership.

Enjoy your new AR!

I haven’t encountered that in this part of Tennessee. My carry permit and the form plus my money and I’ve walked out of a gun store in as little as twenty minutes! Bought several guns at once too. Just filled out separate forms for each one.

The carry permit really expedites the process in most cases!!

3 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I haven’t encountered that in this part of Tennessee. My carry permit and the form plus my money and I’ve walked out of a gun store in as little as twenty minutes! Bought several guns at once too. Just filled out separate forms for each one.

The carry permit really expedites the process in most cases!!

And the background check fee.

Stores are being nice when they accept the carry permit instead of your driver's license. They do have the same number on them.

Note there is a bill in the state house to make the carry permit valid ID. Yes, that is a head scratcher since it has all of the requirements of RealID even though the state has only just started issuing RealID compliant driver's licenses...

As to a carry permit speeding up the process, maybe a bit as you verify from the state standpoint purely with a database lookup. Not sure if a human has to do anything for non-permit holders.

9 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The process is even faster in Missouri, as this is a constitutional carry state.

OLG 

Same here in North Dakota

The last dozen or so purchases I’ve made through FFLs have been made with my carry permit with the person doing the NICS check stating that the ID was a carry permit. The NICS portion of the purchase was under two minutes, except for one time at Academy Sports on Christmas Eve.  NICS was backed up and it took almost twenty minutes to get approved. I’ve listened over a speaker phone to the transaction. The person on the line seemed much more willing to approve the transaction when informed that the ID was a carry permit.

Archived