SASS Wire Forum

Fireworks

I live in California's Central Valley in an unincorporated area, a couple of miles outside the city limits of the nearest town, which is north of Fresno.  Lots here are roughly 1/3 acre; it's a relatively peaceful neighborhood.

Except for the traditional "fireworks" holidays ~ Independence Day and New Year's Eve.

So last night I sat outside for over two hours with a hose at the ready.

Now, there's a reason for the "Safe and Sane" fireworks rule in the Valley - with no rain from March 'til November, the area is drier than a popcorn fart.  In less than an hour I counted over a hundred aerial bombs within a half mile, and finally stopped counting.  Someone two or three houses to the south of me was launching them 'til past midnight - HUGE explosions.  There were countless bottle rockets and larger ones, Roman candles, and other mortar-launched stuff.   

Sirens could be heard almost constantly.  Police and firetrucks raced past my house several times.  On the late news they showed footage of the Fresno skyline - it looked like Disneyland.  The Fresno Fire Department announced they could not respond to any medical emergencies except cardiac arrest - all units were needed for fighting fires, most if not all started with illegal fireworks.

Then came the gunfire.  Lots of pistols... rifle fire earlier, ranging from what sounded like a big bore bolt action to small-bore semi autos.  No "machine guns" heard for this time, but they've been common in the past ~ likely AR's with bump stocks. 

All in all, it's nuts.  Some people are just total jerks.  Most of these are from... well... someplace "well south of here," where they don't seem to have any rules like ours.  Sheesh!

Several years ago a friend found two bullet holes in her house one New Year's Day.  I once suggested to a buddy that he might want to put a patch of tape over the bullet hole I found smack-dab in the middle of his two-day old new car's roof... I have to confess, I did kinda laugh a bit at his reaction.

Hm.  In retrospect, mebbe next time I'll wear a helmet while on fire watch!   :huh:

Nothing but crickets here. 
And a fairly loud owl.

We have our celebratory fireworks July 1, Canada Day and of course, Victoria Day, the Saturday before May 24

A greatly reduced display both days this year and I didn't hear any gunfire.

Our house is on the end of a ridge overlooking a sizable valley.   We always see and hear fireworks shot of from up to 3 miles away.  Last evening it started about 8:00pm and went until past 11:00.  There had to be twice as many shooting off twice as much as usual.  And bigger stuff.  This morning I could small the smoke in the air.  

Fortunately,  no danger of fire as the conditions are really wet.  Maybe if one shot into a hay bar or something.  

All week long they have been telling people that fireworks are illegal inside the city limits..

Saturday night we heard them for at least 4 hours going off all over town plus several bursts of gunfire.

12 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

We have our celebratory fireworks July 1, Canada Day and of course, Victoria Day, the Saturday before May 24

A greatly reduced display both days this year and I didn't hear any gunfire.

Well, Kid, two reasons you didn't hear any gunfire:

First, not so many guns as in these parts.  :(

Second, folks up your way are just too danged polite to go around shootin' up the neighborhood!  ^_^

Common in my 'hood for no apparent reason.  They don't bother me or the cats but they are illegal here & I feel for the dogs & vets with PTSD.

48 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Jealous..,

That makes two of us

Seemed to me to be fairly subdued here (California Central Coast - Arroyo Grande).

I am 6 miles from the Village city limits, in the County of San Luis Obispo.  Mostly 15- to 20- or 40-acre parcels here, some larger.  

The annual Pismo Beach aerial fireworks display was canceled.  We usually watch that from out here, but sometimes in town,  Not this year, though.

Anyway, most of the fireworks activity was in town, but some were back this way, just a bit.  Most of that was loud, “artillery barrage” explosions, but no aerial display bombs.  Out here, the “neighbors“ set off more traditional strings of little firecrackers and those little fire-spewing cones.  No (not even small ones) aerial display bombs here, either.  No gunfire at all.  That was it........Uneventful, really.

Cat Brules

24 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Well, Kid, two reasons you didn't hear any gunfire:

First, not so many guns as in these parts.  :(

Second, folks up your way are just too danged polite to go around shootin' up the neighborhood!  ^_^

Well, not so much the drug dealers battling for turf.

They do a lot of shooting and killing.

Our mis-government doesn't want to do anything about them however,  just the legal firearm owners.

You know: The Low Hanging Fruit.

Did you know, all LEGAL firearm owners in Canada must have a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) for non-prohibited long guns and a Restricted Possession and Acquisition Licence for non-prohibited handguns?  

Did you know the application for the licence is more thorough (intrusive) than a passport application?

Did you know that a course of instruction is required before you can apply for the licence?

Did you know that ALL legal Canadian gun owners are checked each and every day using the national CPIC data base to ensure they did nothing wrong the previous 24 hours?

There are virtually no CCW holders in Canada.

Gang bangers and drug dealers of course ignore all of the above.

Be grateful you have the Second Amendment and the NRA around to help defend it.

Oakland sounded like a war zone times 10 

from 8 pm untill 2 am M-80s and gun fire filled the night 

local new showed time laps film of sky rockets setting  afew fires 

and all of this is illegal in Gavins  gun free state 

Our corner of Santa Rosa was reasonably quiet.   There were some sporadic bursts. 

Worst was that from about 9:30 on people would set off between 2 and 5 loud aerial shells every 45 minutes or so until abou 3 a.m.  Made for not much sleep. 

I was in Phouc Vinh for The 4th in 1970. The 1st Cav CG put out an order that under no circumstances would there be any gunfire, hand held or mortar parachute flares, red, green, or white star clusters or smoke grenades. No kidding. Seriously.

We laughed all night long at that. :lol::lol:

I think they blew up everything last night very quiet for a sunday watching the getto

GF is sure we had 1000 booms  in a minute last night  from 10 pm till midnight

stilll have not heard about the damage from when the bullet fired in the air come down 

17 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Well, not so much the drug dealers battling for turf.

They do a lot of shooting and killing.

Our mis-government doesn't want to do anything about them however,  just the legal firearm owners.

You know: The Low Hanging Fruit.

Did you know, all LEGAL firearm owners in Canada must have a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) for non-prohibited long guns and a Restricted Possession and Acquisition Licence for non-prohibited handguns?  

Did you know the application for the licence is more thorough (intrusive) than a passport application?

Did you know that a course of instruction is required before you can apply for the licence?

Did you know that ALL legal Canadian gun owners are checked each and every day using the national CPIC data base to ensure they did nothing wrong the previous 24 hours?

There are virtually no CCW holders in Canada.

Gang bangers and drug dealers of course ignore all of the above.

Be grateful you have the Second Amendment and the NRA around to help defend it.

I assure you that I am grateful and that I am an NRA life member 

A lot of booms Saturday night, sounded like a war zone, but, it wasn't  anywheres close. Didn't see any aerial displays at all. Knew they was someplace, but not close here. Nothing showing on the streets in the park, no bottle rocket debris or cracker strings...............zip, nada:blink::blush:

I live in one of those 1960’s recreational communities that were developed around small lakes in the middle of nowhere. Housing here went from small weekend cottages like mine was to million dollar weekend homes.

We have a community fireworks display that rivals many small cities. That isn’t enough for the rich who have nothing better to do with their money. They all try to outdo each other with private displays that cost thousands and the competition goes on for days. Thank goodness for Monday when they all go home 

Not even an owl tonight.

Dangit... I just had a thought!!

Sassparilla Kid has an old, 50's vintage fire truck siren that works quite well!  Next time a neighbor explodes stuff at midnight ('cept New Year's Eve, I s'pose), I'm gonna fire that puppy up!  Trees will keep anyone from tellin' where it's comin' from, but they'll know it's close by....  worried

Oh.  I yam evil.   devil   tongue

Archived