SASS Wire Forum

Taylor's 45 to .22 Conversion Kit

Does anyone know if the Taylor's Conversion Kit, consisting of a .22 barrel insert and .22 cylinder works and is it an effective practice tool? If so, I am WTB.

But doesn’t the conversion kit allow the shooter to feel the weight of the guns?  Yes the recoil would not be the same, but then the shooter would benefit of wearing the same rig he is competing with and be used to the same sight picture while saving on ammo costs?  Sounds like a good idea to me. 

6 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

wouldn't a set of cartridge converters work the same way?

s-l500.jpg.b4e1563cabac930605a5cb9b5071d2dc.jpg

Probably would work the same, but what about the .22 shell running through the. 38 barrel?

Howdy Pard

I’ve used the inserts shown by Crazy Gun Barney and find ‘em useful to practice with my 45’s.  The inserts are sold by Numrich and UniqueTek and quite likely others.

My CAS matches are cancelled until ... who knows? In the meantime I use the inserts for 22 practice in my Blackhawk. A nearby indoor range doesn’t allow hand loaded ammo for my 45’s  ... #@#&$* ... but has no issue with the 22 inserts.

The accompanying info with the inserts claims the 22 bullets don’t contact the rifling.

Caution! The inserts do not fit in a Howell  conversion cylinder for my 1860 Army.  They are a grudging fit in my OM Vaquero. They drop right in the cylinder of my Blackhawk.  Accuracy is mediocre but the grouping is sufficient to let you know your sight picture and trigger squeeze are correct and I get to practice with my CAS pistol.

All in all I’m glad I got ‘em and I make frequent use of ‘em. 

Adios 

Fort Reno Kid 

Archived