SASS Wire Forum

Gun cart builder or plans...

Matthew Duncan

Looking for a minimal lightweight wood gun cart.  Carries two long guns, '66 rifle and SxS shotgun.  Small bench to sit on and store ammo and misc.  Easy removable drive handle and wheels.  

Here's the catch.  Easily disassembles and/or folds to fit one of the following storage bays:
1.  29" wide x 12" high" x 27" deep.
1. 16" wide x 10" high x 19" deep.
1. 16" wide x 10" high x 16" deep

43 minutes ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Check out cal graf. I used to take one apart to go in a car trunk. Couldnt tell you the demensions now.

Cal-graf's web site doesn't appear to be active.

Here are a couple of photos of a cart I built to fit in the trunk of a Camaro.  There are two boxes stacked in front.  The bottom box is open, but and the top of the box has an extended bottom that allows it to fit into the top of the bottom box,  The overall width is 18", but the wheels come off, making it much narrower.  Construction is pretty easy.  Basically two rectangles made so that the smaller bottom rectangle folds back into the slightly larger top rectangle.  It has room for long guns.  I am able to put extra ammo, small first aid kit, spare pistol, tool kit and other essentials in the two boxes.  I also have a back that my wife sewed that snaps under the handle for empties.  A couple of hooks let me hang stuff.

DSCN0939.JPG

DSCN0940.JPG

I have a Mustang wooden cart that works real well. It folds up pretty small. You might try them, Mustang Woodcrafters.

Jax T

Matthew, you can make my carts as wide or narrow as you wish.  Of hand, I like to build them with no less than 3 slots in case you need to carry an extra rifle or shotgun.

Annabel Lee 3 gun cart: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u6c3ll51xbipf3s/Annabel Lee Gun Cart.pdf?dl=0

Cherokee Cowboys Cart: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k26wv2ocpenfsa4/Cherokee Cowboy Cart 2014.pdf?dl=0

Rough Rider Cart: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qmg3iz3bj8kncjp/Rough Rider 6 Gun Cart Plans 2017.pdf?dl=0

Sorry.  Wrong thread!

IMG_20200526_205957132.jpg

Maybe something like this? I had the same minimalist goal (and minimal woodworking skills & tools!). This wooden gun cart quickly disassembles (using a knob and two wingnuts) into three primary pieces:

1. Ammo crate (10.25" x 15.75" x 8.75") which doubles as a seat and commonly sold in many stores
  2. Base (16.25" x 17.50") attached to axle and wheels. The wheels can be also be removed (loosen set screw on hubs), but I never needed to
  3. Handle stem (38.75") with crossbar (17.34")

Modify to taste (wood, hardware, paint, wheels, seat cushion, etc.). I include a water bottle "holster" at the base, used a bent railroad spike for a grip, painted the hardware flat black, and "aged" the wood for a rustic worn look. I used cork at the contact points for the long guns, and cinch them with leather laces to the crossbar. I can also strap a golf umbrella to it (only if seated on it to prevent a gust tipping it).

IMG_3778.thumb.jpg.6ef605589c6557fb85867862226b9ba3.jpg

IMG_3779.thumb.jpg.7a0eea3fee089b6979073dacb69814a9.jpg

IMG_3780.thumb.jpg.098bf366b6738609e3171cf51146db96.jpg

IMG_3782.thumb.jpg.e0979238ecdaeaf385e9d5c4894d2ab9.jpg

IMG_3785.thumb.jpg.7335b49b9141cd0699165452caeaae7e.jpg

20 hours ago, Blue Ridge Ranger, SASS # 31232 said:

Check out pvgunworks. Might be what your looking for.

PV Gunworks "The Traveler" may be what I've been looking looking for!  Thank you!  I have sent them a email inquiring if their cart would fit through a 29" x 12" opening.

On 7/5/2020 at 5:34 PM, Matthew Duncan said:

Looking for a minimal lightweight wood gun cart.  Carries two long guns, '66 rifle and SxS shotgun.  Small bench to sit on and store ammo and misc.  Easy removable drive handle and wheels.  

Here's the catch.  Easily disassembles and/or folds to fit one of the following storage bays:
1.  29" wide x 12" high" x 27" deep.
1. 16" wide x 10" high x 19" deep.
1. 16" wide x 10" high x 16" deep

Gray Squirrel makes a cart in a box 

0FCF5A44-6E58-443E-B9D9-1E4F59CE960A.jpeg

Gray Squirrel and John Barleycorn.

I appreciate your pictures and dimensions.  Unfortunately your designs don't incorporate a sitting bench.  Because of my cargo door size limitation I may have no other choice but to carry a tri-seat too.

Howdy,

There are some nice folding chairs that offer back support and sure fold nice.

I know you want to sit on the cart but sometimes ya just caint beat a chair.

I got a hooligan cart from papadave and added some little saddle bags

for a little extra space.  It is designed to come apart either a little or to 

bits and pieces.  

Be careful about making the cart too narrow as a wind or careless pard

just might tip it over and do a fair bit of damage.

I started several carts but sold em to others to finish.

Never heard anything bad about em.

Ive heard the hooligan cart can be bagged and go on aircraft.

Good luck how ever it works.

Best

CR

Archived