SASS Wire Forum

The Buntline Special MYTH

Reasearching the Buntline Special and found this informative article.

2020_07_05_05_08_50.jpg.aa9a6733ca5b101b9c1992e44dc1f33e.jpg

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2015/05/the-buntline-special.html

Howdy,

Ive owned a few long barrel revolvers. One I bought with a scope mounted.

I thought the view thru the scope gave me an idea of why groups are so big.

One wouldn't need the long barrel but it went well together.

Holding a pistol STILL is harder than you might think.

Best

CR

My old pard Hank had one.  In his hands that thing was amazingly accurate. 

If someone had told us and we hadn't seen it ourselves we wouldn't have believed it.

Posted May 20 (edited) - Thread Topic "Colts not in their original caliber"

I've seen a number of "transformed" old Colts.  My old pard, the late Hank, had a few... some of which he'd built from parts or re-built to suit his whim.  A few had good stories.

One of these was a 2nd generation .45 he'd bought new in '73 or '74.  A Buntline, no less!  Bought it at the San Francisco Gun Exchange.  In his hand that thing was amazingly accurate.  Well, about twenty years later, he needed another revolver for a new game that he, his missus, and three kids had taken up.   Something called "Cowboy Action Shooting."  So, he dug into his boxes of parts and converted it to a 4 3/4" barreled .44, and it was thusly used for many years.

Once in a while, after he retired from competitive shooting, I'd encourage him to "make it right" some day.  Early last April, Hank sent me a simple text:  "Ned is back."  He'd made it right.  Sadly, he passed a few weeks later.  But he left behind a nice, 12" barreled, .45 Colt Buntline.

And they laughed when I bought a 10 1/2 inch Super Blackhawk. 200 gr JHP, 1735 fps, 4 inch group at 100 yards. Been there done that

Imis  and it works wonders on shotgun targets in Josey Wales

An entertaining read , but  scrolling thru the pictures after the article , the writer labels a long-barreled Smith & Wesson New Model 3 as a Schofield.

Takes about five minutes of research to learn the difference in the four large-frame Smith & Wesson single actions. Schofields are top-breaks , but all top-breaks are NOT Schofields. Geez. Some expert. He should have checked with Driftwood Johnson first.:lol:

Rant over. :P

Rex :D

15 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Should be you already touching target with barrel :lol:

Of course! It’s the modern SASS Way...:blink:

:P

Archived