SASS Wire Forum

VIRUS NEWS

Looks like Covid 19 may be airborne after all. That would explain the worldwide rapid spread. I never bought the concept that millions of people were infected by getting coughed or sneezed on.It just spread too fast.

:(

The World Health Organization has long held that the coronavirus is spread primarily by large respiratory droplets that, once expelled by infected people in coughs and sneezes, fall quickly to the floor. But in an open letter to the W.H.O., 239 scientists in 32 countries have outlined the evidence showing that smaller particles can infect people, and are calling for the agency to revise its recommendations. The researchers plan to publish their letter in a scientific journal next week.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/04/health/239-experts-with-one-big-claim-the-coronavirus-is-airborne.html

“There is no incontrovertible proof that SARS-CoV-2 travels or is transmitted significantly by aerosols, but there is absolutely no evidence that it’s not,” said Dr. Trish Greenhalgh, a primary care doctor at the University of Oxford in Britain.

“So at the moment we have to make a decision in the face of uncertainty, and my goodness, it’s going to be a disastrous decision if we get it wrong,” she said. “So why not just mask up for a few weeks, just in case?”

So they really do not have a true clue but the claim and concern is quite plausible.  And if so, a  bandana is no protection, it requires an N95 mask. So...

300,000,000 people in the US.

Define "a few weeks" as three weeks.

Change the mask every two hours (or when they get damp).

Assume eight hours of public time each day.

Multiplying that out, we need 25 billion masks in the US to do this.

We don't have that many, so that is why not...

But the article makes sense, and I did install a single-pass UV sterilizer at the business. I teach carry classes and spend an entire day with students. We have an "official" infection rate of 1%  in my county, so a 10% real rate is not implausible...

Herd immunity is at somewhere between 70 and 90%. We all want to be in that 10 to 30%. We won't all be, but game on! Have to keep living.

48 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/04/health/239-experts-with-one-big-claim-the-coronavirus-is-airborne.html

So they really do not have a true clue but the claim and concern is quite plausible.  And if so, a  bandana is no protection, it requires an N95 mask. So...

300,000,000 people in the US.

Define "a few weeks" as three weeks.

Change the mask every two hours (or when they get damp).

Assume eight hours of public time each day.

Multiplying that out, we need 25 billion masks in the US to do this.

We don't have that many, so that is why not...

But the article makes sense, and I did install a single-pass UV sterilizer at the business. I teach carry classes and spend an entire day with students. We have an "official" infection rate of 1%  in my county, so a 10% real rate is not implausible...

Herd immunity is at somewhere between 70 and 90%. We all want to be in that 10 to 30%. We won't all be, but game on! Have to keep living.

I have about 8 N95s. Won't last long.

1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

“There is no incontrovertible proof that SARS-CoV-2 travels or is transmitted significantly by aerosols, but there is absolutely no evidence that it’s not,” said Dr. Trish Greenhalgh, a primary care doctor at the University of Oxford in Britain.

“So at the moment we have to make a decision in the face of uncertainty, and my goodness, it’s going to be a disastrous decision if we get it wrong,” she said. “So why not just mask up for a few weeks, just in case?”

4 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I'm NOT wearing a mask. I caught the Zombie Apocalypse back in January before it had a fancy name and a press agent. That means I'm immune to it now, and I can't pass it along.

Me too just before Christmas, unless it was HKU1; it attacks the lungs too.

And then there are the mutations of Cars-Cov-2, at least 6 known so far. Does having one strain give immunity to the others? And there is the  question of whether immunity lasts more than three months for any of them.

Would get tested for antibodies, but all of those tests will give positive results if I ever had (and still have immunity to) any of the four other common coronaviruses (damn!). The antibody test is worthless for the individual, though still useful for "policy" purposes in the population.

I will be wearing masks (4 at least through the day) one day next week as I will be giving a carry class to a family where one member is highly vulnerable to any illness (transplant, immune suppression drugs). And I installed the UV sterilizer on the building HVAC system. And I will spray down the shooting station at the public range with alcohol (found a bottle, wintergreen for massage as an astringent but it is 70% isopropyl).

But day-to-day, I do not wear a mask and will immediately leave any area if someone shows signs of illness. this virus is real enough without the media hype. Guy at the local gun counter tried to suppress a cough a couple days ago, he might be "barking like a dog" by now... I backed away. Don't really care if it is HKU1 or The 'Rona," I don't want it either way.

I spent the worst part of two weeks in the hospital, getting out last Friday, June 26th.  I was admitted as a probable Covid patient because I had a mild fever. I already knew it was a bacterial infection from the other symptoms, but they insisted on not one but TWO Covid tests which both came back negative. 

While I was in, I frequently questioned hospital staff as to the number of C19 patients in the facility and was told that there were no more than 15 Covid patients at any one time.  I also learned that none of the surrounding hospitals were treating larger numbers!  Granted, there are several large hospitals in Middle Tennessee, but they aren’t any more crowded than the one I was in!

ALSO! The test results were available in a little more than an hour.

I’m certain that this virus is bad and that we SHOULD be using good common sense in dealing with it, but I’m just as certain that many aspects of the epidemic are being exaggerated!!

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I have about 8 N95s. Won't last long.

N95.  They have exhale ports on them?

5 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

N95.  They have exhale ports on them?

No.

34 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I spent the worst part of two weeks in the hospital, getting out last Friday, June 26th.  I was admitted as a probable Covid patient because I had a mild fever. I already knew it was a bacterial infection from the other symptoms, but they insisted on not one but TWO Covid tests which both came back negative. 

While I was in, I frequently questioned hospital staff as to the number of C19 patients in the facility and was told that there were no more than 15 Covid patients at any one time.  I also learned that none of the surrounding hospitals were treating larger numbers!  Granted, there are several large hospitals in Middle Tennessee, but they aren’t any more crowded than the one I was in!

ALSO! The test results were available in a little more than an hour.

I’m certain that this virus is bad and that we SHOULD be using good common sense in dealing with it, but I’m just as certain that many aspects of the epidemic are being exaggerated!!

Do you have any information about the age and health of those hospitalised with the virus?  Like, were they a mix of age? Or elderly with serious existing health problems?

50 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I’m just as certain that many aspects of the epidemic are being exaggerated!!

What they are doing is testing everybody they can, every TIME they can. Each positive result is then reported as a "new" positive case.

Also notice that they are NOT reporting recoveries.

I spoke with an old friend in Arizona yesterday.  Like me, he's in his late 60's. 

Anyway, Bill just spent a week in the hospital with it, and is still weak, sore, and has difficulty speaking.  One thing that he did say clearly:  "If I ever get this or anything like it again,  I want someone to just shoot me!"   :(

10 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I spoke with an old friend in Arizona yesterday.  Like me, he's in his late 60's. 

Anyway, Bill just spent a week in the hospital with it, and is still weak, sore, and has difficulty speaking.  One thing that he did say clearly:  "If I ever get this or anything like it again,  I want someone to just shoot me!"   :(

I’ve even heard people in their 20s say that. It’s bad.

40 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Do you have any information about the age and health of those hospitalised with the virus?  Like, were they a mix of age? Or elderly with serious existing health problems?

Wide mix from what information I could glean.

Some of those who become symptomatic have major difficulty. Others say it’s no worse than a bad cold and then there are the ones who get it but never show any symptoms at all!!

My son’s girlfriend has a daughter who felt bad and went to get tested. She came back negative, but tested positive on a follow up a few days later.  By the time that the positive test came back, she had fully recovered and remains symptom free, three months later.  No one else in the house ever showed symptoms and they have all tested negative. The girl is 16 years old.

I believe the CV19 virus was created in a bio-weapons lab in China and intentionally released (by China) into the global Western economies to boost China’s economic standing, regardless of the impact against the Chinese citizenry.  

The Chinese Communist hierarchy has very little regard for its citizenry, while being careful to not offend the population into open revolt. 

Furthermore, it is distinctly possible and probable that the Chinese continue to spread the virus as they think necessary, via something similar to “aerosol can bombs,” to supplement as a means to continue the infection rates within larger population areas in the Western socio-economic world.

I have NEVER trustled the Chinese and, if I can avoid it, I do not buy Chinese-made products, especially food items.

Cat Brules

43 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

What they are doing is testing everybody they can, every TIME they can. Each positive result is then reported as a "new" positive case.

Also notice that they are NOT reporting recoveries.

CJ, check other information sources.  I've looked at a number of them, and most if not all of the ones I've seen very clearly report recoveries.  Also, we can expect to see some variations between information sources due to timing and their data sources.

The one I refer to most often is https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ ; check it out.  It has tons of information, very clearly laid out.  Do give it time to completely load, though, or you'll miss the charts and tables, which are very readable.

I've heard the arguments about people testing positive being reported multiple times for profit, and I have spent some time researching it.  This appears to be something with a grain of substance that has been overblown by "social media."  Yes, there have been some cases.  But it does not seem to be the norm.  Also, some of these "multiple reportings" have indeed been cases where people tested positive, later tested negative (and assumed recovered), then again tested positive.  Same person; twice infected.  Just like if a person was reported to have broken a leg then later broke the other leg (or even the same leg a second time), it would not be the same case.

I'm sure there have been some intentional "fuzzy numbers" and even unintentional errors.  But for the most part, the "Facebook Follies" make it sound like false reporting is rampant; however, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of hard evidence to support it.

19 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

CJ, check other information sources.  I've looked at a number of them, and most if not all of the ones I've seen very clearly report recoveries.  Also, we can expect to see some variations between information sources due to timing and their data sources.

The one I refer to most often is https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ ; check it out.  It has tons of information, very clearly laid out.  Do give it time to completely load, though, or you'll miss the charts and tables, which are very readable.

I've heard the arguments about people testing positive being reported multiple times for profit, and I have spent some time researching it.  This appears to be something with a grain of substance that has been overblown by "social media."  Yes, there have been some cases.  But it does not seem to be the norm.  Also, some of these "multiple reportings" have indeed been cases where people tested positive, later tested negative (and assumed recovered), then again tested positive.  Same person; twice infected.  Just like if a person was reported to have broken a leg then later broke the other leg (or even the same leg a second time), it would not be the same case.

I'm sure there have been some intentional "fuzzy numbers" and even unintentional errors.  But for the most part, the "Facebook Follies" make it sound like false reporting is rampant; however, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of hard evidence to support it.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I’m just as certain that many aspects of the epidemic are being exaggerated!!

Does that mean I get a hug at Black Gold?

1 hour ago, MizPete said:

Does that mean I get a hug at Black Gold?

Well....  YEAH!!

Another little nugget I picked up was from one of my guitar players whose day job is auditing hospitals.  He explained that the hospitals are receiving from $1,500.00 to $3,900.00 for each person admitted as a CV19 patient.  He added that some of these admissions will be disallowed and the hospitals will be required to reimburse the government when caught.

I had heard from other sources that this was happening, but now I’m satisfied that it is actually happening!!

the one thing we have learned  we treat old folks with  NO money like crap 

half the deaths in my county have come from 3 welfare rest homes 

then go to san fran and sidewalk camper are 75% infected 

Stay safe everyone 

Archived