SASS Wire Forum

Doctorate abbreviation

Alpo

If you have a doctorate in physics, is that simply a Sc.D. (doctor of science), or is there another abbreviation so people will know that your doctorate is in physics, instead of chemistry or biology or something like that?

On a similar puzzlement, since mathematics is a hard science, wouldn't a doctor of mathematics be an Sc.D.? Couple of stories I've read - same author - where someone has a doctorate in math and they refer to them as a PhD.

14 minutes ago, Alpo said:

If you have a doctorate in physics, is that simply a Sc.D. (doctor of science), or is there another abbreviation so people will know that your doctorate is in physics, instead of chemistry or biology or something like that?

On a similar puzzlement, since mathematics is a hard science, wouldn't a doctor of mathematics be an Sc.D.? Couple of stories I've read - same author - where someone has a doctorate in math and they refer to them as a PhD.

It really depends on the degrees that the department decided to grant, I have a PhD.

There are a lot of ways to express a doctorate, and the abbreviation tells you whether the degree is theoretical (based on original research and designed to make the recipient a college professor), or application-based (designed to go use it in the work field).  

Ph.D is theoretical in any field, from business to nuclear physics.  

DBA (doctorate of business administration) is application based.

Psy.D (psychological doctor) is application based.

Ed.D (educational doctorate) is application based.  

There are dozens of others.

Veterinary colleges confer a DVM degree, Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, except the University of Pennsylvania stirs it up and confers a VMD degree.  Same thing, just different order because they like the Latin phraseology.  DVMs/VMDs can continue their formal studies and earn PhDs in specialties such as surgery, ophthalmology, microbiology, pathology, epidemiology, etc.  Those who teach in veterinary colleges usually have more than one doctorate degree.

In my field, engineering, the usual progression of degrees is  ...

BS = Bachelor of Science

MS = Masters of Science

PhD = A fancy term for Doctor of Philosophy, much like Cyrus described. 

I spent a chunk of my career at a scary research lab, surrounded by people with PhDs who could hardly tie their shoes. I was one of the few non-hooded DFEs (Dumb Friendly Engineers) who quickly learned truth within the maxim...

BS = Bull Shtuff 

MS = More of the Same

PhD = Piled Higher and Deeper

I eventually grew to a strong working relationship with all my colleagues, including the non-shoe tie-ers. I respected their creativity and brilliance. They respected my nuts and bolts front line experience. Together we did some amazing work. 

I do not understand awarding  PhD - Doctor of Philosophy - for math & the sciences.  Don't make no sense.

1 hour ago, MizPete said:

I do not understand awarding  PhD - Doctor of Philosophy - for math & the sciences.  Don't make no sense.

In the 18th (and probably before) "philosophy" was the term used for mathematics and scientific inquiry.  Don't ask me why, but that is how it was. :unsure:

1 hour ago, MizPete said:

Natural philosophy was the catch all title given to all science, for example (from Wikipedia)  Isaac Newton's book Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica .

7 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

In the 18th (and probably before) "philosophy" was the term used for mathematics and scientific inquiry.  Don't ask me why, but that is how it was. :unsure:

When engineering was first taught at West Point, it was taught by the Department of Natural Philosophy.  

Just to jump in, attorneys earn their Juris Doctor, abbreviated "J.D."which is termed a "professional doctorate." To teach law, many will go on to earn their LL.M, typically called "Master of Laws," which is focused on a specific field within law.

29 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Just to jump in, attorneys earn their Juris Doctor, abbreviated "J.D."which is termed a "professional doctorate." To teach law, many will go on to earn their LL.M, typically called "Master of Laws," which is focused on a specific field within law.

The JD degree was invented because many felt that LLB Bachelor of Laws did not sound prestigious.

Just now, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The JD degree was invented because many felt that LLB Bachelor of Laws did not sound prestigious.

Essentially, yes. But there is the added fact that in the modern era one must possess a Baccalaureate to be admitted into law school, which would put aspiring attorneys in the interesting position of requiring a Bachelor's to receive a Bachelor's.

3 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

When engineering was first taught at West Point, it was taught by the Department of Natural Philosophy.  

Pard, many of the degrees conferred by West Point are engineering degrees.

Strictly speaking, a JD could be addressed as "doctor".  But the only one I ever heard of who was addressed as such was...Fidel Castro! :o  My father was an attorney with a JD degree, but neither he nor any of the lawyers he knew or associated with were addressed as doctor.

From Wiki:

Historically lawyers in most European countries were addressed with the title of doctor, and countries outside of Europe have generally followed the practice of the European country which had policy influence through colonization. The first university degrees, starting with the law school of the University of Bologna (or glossators) in the 11th century, were all law degrees and doctorates.[226] Degrees in other fields did not start until the 13th century, but the doctor continued to be the only degree offered at many of the old universities until the 20th century. Therefore, in many of the southern European countries, including Portugal and Italy, lawyers have traditionally been addressed as “doctor,” a practice, which was transferred to many countries in South America and Macau. The term "doctor" has since fallen into disuse, although it is still a legal title in Italy and in use in many countries outside of Europe.[227]

In French- (France, Quebec, Belgium, Luxembourg, French-speaking area of Switzerland) and Dutch-speaking countries (Netherlands, Belgium), legal professionals are addressed as Maître ..., abbreviated to Me ... (in French) or Meester ..., abbreviated to mr. ... (in Dutch).

The title of doctor has never been used to address lawyers in England or other common law countries (with the exception of the United States). This is because until 1846 lawyers in England were not required to have a university degree and were trained by other attorneys by apprenticeship or in the Inns of Court.[228] Since law degrees started to become a requirement for lawyers in England, the degree awarded has been the undergraduate LL.B. In South Africa holders of a LL.B, who have completed a year of pupillage and have been admitted to the bar may use the title "Advocate", abbreviated to "Adv" in written correspondence. Holders of an LL.B who have completed two years of clerkship with a principal Attorney and passed all four board exams may be admitted as an "Attorney" and refer to themselves as such. Likewise, Italian law graduates who have qualified for the bar use the title "Avvocato", abbreviated in "Avv."

Even though most lawyers in the United States do not use any titles, the law degree in that country is the Juris Doctor, a professional doctorate degree,[229] and some J.D. holders in the United States use the title of "Doctor" in professional[230] and academic situations.

In countries where holders of the first law degree traditionally use the title of doctor (e.g. Peru, Brazil, Macau, Portugal, Argentina), J.D. holders who are attorneys will often use the title of doctor as well.[231] It is common for English-language male lawyers to use the honorific suffix "Esq." (for "Esquire"). In the United States the style is also used by female lawyers.

In many Asian countries, holders of the Juris Doctor degree are also called "博士" (doctor).[232]

10 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Pard, many of the degrees conferred by West Point are engineering degrees.

About five years ago the son of one my coworkers was pinned Captain in a ceremony at Fenway Parkafter getting his MD from BC, He was a West Point grad in, I think, Life Sciences. I’d be willing to bet that of all the new captains that day, he had the best uniform.

Archived