SASS Wire Forum

Getting back into CAS

Leatherlunger

Good morning all,

I haven’t shot CAS in about 20 years, life and responsibilities took center stage.  Getting the itch and looking forward to getting back into it.

I’ve been thinking of an ex soldier persona, does anyone portray that?  If so I would love to see some pictures.

I’m looking at shooting with The Elstonville Hombres in Manheim, Pennsylvania.

Also, I don’t reload, are there any good online sources of cowboy ammo?  I’ve done some searches but haven’t really turned up anything.

Thanks in advance

Welcome back Leatherlunger. I also shoot at Elstonville and we'd be happy to have you back. There are a lot of online sites to purchase cowboy ammo. You didn't mention what caliber. Also Enck's Gun Barn over in Myerstown specializes in cowboy action shooting and you can find any ammo you need there at reasonable prices. I've seen some pards dressed up in 1800's military regalia in my travels. I shoot primarily B Western and sometimes I do my version of Johnny Yuma "The Rebel". Not authentic military but a little flavor. When you decide to come out look me up!

Try bullets by Scarlett. She has loaded ammo for sale.

For shotgun shells try Winchester low noise, low recoil AAs.  They are $7.87 a box at WalMart with a $2/box rebate through the end of July.

Take an ROI course.  There have been many rule changes in the last twenty years.

I would suggest you get to some matches first.  Rules have changed significantly over 20 years.  

I'd look at the firearms first to decide what you'd like to shoot.  If you have some, bring them with you.  I'm sure the club would work with you to use what you have or try some other firearms out.

I suggest deciding on firearms and category first, then working on clothing.  You can change your alias later if you find the first one you picked isn't what you wanted long term.  Clothing and Alias are easy and cheap to change.  Firearms, not so much.

Welcome Back!

1 hour ago, Leatherlunger said:

...I’ve been thinking of an ex soldier persona, does anyone portray that?  If so I would love to see some pictures....

Well...I'm a former Confederate Officer.  I fly the Confederate flag on my cart so I can find it and I speak the truth (my version) about yankees.  

IMG_0853.JPG

Thank you for all the suggestions and advice.  I have all the correct period firearms, gun cart and garb (might tweak the garb a bit) from participating before.

Going to get myself up to speed on the rules and take a ROI course.

Welcome Back from North of the Medicine Line !!!

Glad ta see Ya shoot the fine .44 Russian Long ( .44 Spl. ) I also shoot .44 Spl. in Open-Tops and .38-40 in my 1866...

Have Fun and lead the Pack ....

Jabez Cowboy

Look up GAF [Grand Army of the Frontier] on the interweb. 

You will find lots of 1800's military equipment, uniforms, etc.

They started in SASS (at HOW) back in 2001 and many do both games.

Mustang Gregg

GAF #64

1 hour ago, Leatherlunger said:

Thank you for all the suggestions and advice.  I have all the correct period firearms, gun cart and garb (might tweak the garb a bit) from participating before.

Going to get myself up to speed on the rules and take a ROI course.

You're a better man than me, I don't think there's one thing that still fits from 20 years ago.  :huh:

Welcome Back!

Null N. Void said, "I would suggest you get to some matches first.  Rules have changed significantly over 20 years. " 

Not only rules, but stages, too.

You might not like the changes.

Archived