SASS Wire Forum

Cap Question for C&B

Tequila Shooter

I'm sure you know that the slix nipples are marked for use with Remi #10 caps.

However to answer your Q.

I was under the impression that the CCI #11 caps were closer in size to the Remi #10 than CCI #10?

I am sure someone will chime in soon with confirmation or denial.

Here's Mako's Cap Primer.

This should be read by every can-n-ball shooter.

--Dawg

http://guntoters.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Percussion-Caps-and-Nipples2.pdf

@Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 thanks for that link it's very interesting.  My biggest take away was (my question to follow)

I measured the Uberti and Pietta nipples and compared them to stock. The Uberti SlixShot measured about .032 longer than the stock Ubertis. The Pietta SlixShot only measured about .006 longer.

I haven't tried the Uberti with the SlixShot nipples yet - ran out of time at the range. I did run about 72 rounds through a Pietta 1860 Army. I fired three cylinders full with Remington #10, Remington #11, CCI #11, and RWS 1075 caps. One cylinder with each size cap was capped with a TDC revolver capper, one with a TDC dual spring straight line capper, and one capped by hand. I did not use a "seating stick" or anything other than the capper or my thumb to seat the caps. All of the caps went on without any trouble and felt like they were a snug fit. I slow fired the first cylinder full with each size cap and didn't see any evidence of unfired caps backing off the nipple.

The load I used was 30 gr. fffg Goex thrown from a flask with a 30 gr. spout (which weighs out to 30.3 gr.); Ox Yoke Wonder Wad, and a .454 round ball cast by BPstuff llc. Every chamber fired first time. All of the Remington and RWS fired caps looked like a plus sign. Four evenly sized wings coming off the center. Most of the CCIs did the same; but some of them disintegrated or didn't split up completely. The only two instances of a cap falling into the frame/action, was with the CCIs that didn't split up completely on firing; but, they didn't jam up the gun. The hammer just flattened them to the frame. In every instance, the only cap still left on a nipple was the one under the hammer from the last shot. All of caps fell off, and none got between my hand and the grip.

The 1860 I used was 1994 vintage that has been worked over some using Pettifoggers procedures. It has coil spring & plunger hand spring and the hammer notch is filled with JB Weld.

I'm going to try to get back out to the range later this week & run the same process on my Uberti 1861 Navy. Hopefully the extra length won't be a problem. My 1861's have been worked over like the 1860s, so I'm going to take one of my .36 cal Piettas that is still bone stock unmodified & see how the nipples work on it. I'm also going to try a couple Wolf reduced power hammer springs & see how they act. This time I'll take my camera too.

So far, I'm really liking these nipples.

So am I reading this correctly that on the SlixShot nipples both Remington #10 and #11 and CCI #11 should work well?  Also I'm using on .44 Pietta Remington NMA.

FYI I know for a fact that Uberti has used different length nipples on their revolvers over the years. I have 2 Uberti 1860 Army's and the factory nipples are different lengths and not interchangeable. If you put the long nipples on the cylinder that came with the short cylinders it will not rotate with a cap on a nipple.

Track of the Wolf sells both lengths of AMPCO nipples.

They sell them in different lengths with the same thread size so measure the length of the ones you have.

The internal diameters are the same on all 3.

The CCI  seems between Remington #10 & #11 in height, so they should work, but I've never used them, so I can't say for sure.

I use both Treso & Slix with Remington caps, and I get 100% ignition, & I have about 25,000 Remingtons, so......

The reason factory nipples suck is that they taper in & don't fit the caps very well, so caps fall off while yer shooting, get blown back into the action,  & it's a frustrating mess.
Folks who fire slowly can get away  with thing like pinching the caps & stuff like that, but I believe that a properly set-up cap gun is as reliable as a cartridge gun, and proper nipples & caps are part of that.

Shoot your guns quickly with the charge you will use while at a match, & you'll find flaws you won't necessarily find while sitting at home snapping caps on empty chambers.

Shoot 6 cylinders full, and you'll see how fouling that accumulates during a match affects things.

At least this has been my experience.

--Dawg

6 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Here's Mako's Cap Primer.

This should be read by every can-n-ball shooter.

--Dawg

http://guntoters.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Percussion-Caps-and-Nipples2.pdf

Mako vanished into thin air.  He always had great write ups.

PLUS ONE too PRAIRIE DAWG (Both posts).

In specific answer to the OP ... No.  I have never tried CCI Caps.  I hate CCI Primers and have no reason to think I'd like CCI Caps.  I personally shoot Slix nipples exclusively and they are optimized for Remington #10 Caps and I see no reason to tempt Murphy.  I buy my Caps in "case lots" to keep plenty of Caps on hand.

7 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

.  I buy my Caps in "case lots" to keep plenty of Caps on hand.

A year or so back, Grafs and Sons got Remington caps in stock.  I was tempted to buy 1k just in case.  But I have only shot my cap guns in two matches in the past several years.  And I sometimes get a wild hair and get them out and shoot them.  So I rationalized my stock would last for several years. I probably should have stocked up. 

See fellas that's the problem, I've only have about 400 Remington #10 caps (using SlixShot nipples) and when I went to get some to stock up everywhere I looked they were out of stock.  Plenty of CCI and Remington #11 but no #10's.  Hopefully I'll be able to find some and stock up before I run out.

10 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

So am I reading this correctly that on the SlixShot nipples both Remington #10 and #11 and CCI #11 should work well?  Also I'm using on .44 Pietta Remington NMA.

All of the Slix Nipples I have (Uberti, Pietta and Ruger) are marked as Remi #10 only.

I have only ever used Remi#10 on my Slix and dont intend to tempt fate (as CC has already said).

8 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

See fellas that's the problem, I've only have about 400 Remington #10 caps (using SlixShot nipples) and when I went to get some to stock up everywhere I looked they were out of stock.  Plenty of CCI and Remington #11 but no #10's.  Hopefully I'll be able to find some and stock up before I run out.

I just go to my local gun store, pay them, and they order a case for me.  No problem.

I only use CCI #10s and #11s. I have 8 cylinders and some take #10 the others take #11 caps. I started by using an old supply of CVA caps I had and discovered that when I had my reading glasses on that they were marked CCI 11 on the base of the cap. I was not having very good luck using Rem 10s so I was glad to find a replacement for the CVA caps.

My pistols were tuned by Mike Dragoon but I bought a some cylinders that had factory nipples in them. My wife uses Rem 10s in her C&B pistols. I think the CCI caps have a bit more primer material in them as I have gone into the garage with the lites out and set off Rems and then CCIs and get quite a bit more flame from the CCI caps. If you would like I will bring my pistols and caps to CAC when I come.

kR

21 hours ago, Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409 said:

I put the Slix nipples on my ROA's and only use the Rem 10. I have some 11 but just use them to clear the nipples. Wont even try the CCI

Hochbauer

Don't blame ya on not tryin the CCI, they are about 40% hotter than Rems. Might up your recoil a bit.

:rolleyes:

kR

Archived