SASS Wire Forum

VietNam wall

Noz

I have been told that the names on the Vietnam wall are placed on there in the order of death and without that detail makes a visit very frustrating.

I did not have a unit as such being a member of a General staff.

I have an opportunity to visit the traveling wall tomorrow, any suggestion?

17 minutes ago, Noz said:

I have been told that the names on the Vietnam wall are placed on there in the order of death and without that detail makes a visit very frustrating.

There are several computer programs to locate names.  Here are a few.  The actual wall has a locator on-site.

https://www.vvmf.org/About-The-Wall/

https://www.virtualwall.org/iAlpha.htm

http://www.viewthewall.com

7 hours ago, Noz said:

Where's it at?

The travelling wall moves around the country.

58 minutes ago, Smoken D said:

Where's it at?

The tour schedule originally included significantly more cities However, C-19 has caused a modified schedule.

VVMF ANNOUNCES 2020 THE WALL THAT HEALS Modified TOUR SCHEDULE

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, these 2020 The Wall That Heals visits have been postponed: Charlotte, NC on March 19-22; New Bern, NC on March 26-29; Boydton, VA on April 2-5; Garner, NC on April 16-19; Grundy, VA on April 23-26; Tunkhannock, PA on April 30 – May 3;  Belvidere, IL on May 7-10; Findlay, OH on May 14-17; Columbus, OH on May 22-25; Riverview, MI on May 28-31; Winchester, IN on June 4-7; Harrison, OH on June 11-14; Chisholm, MN on June 25-28; Tama, IA on July 2-5; Wheaton, IL on July 9-12; Nahant, MA on July 30-August 2; Norwalk, CT on August 6-9; Champlain, NY on August 13-16; Middletown, NY on August 27-30; and Evansville, IN on September 10-13. These events would have brought the preeminent replica of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial to these areas for Vietnam veterans, family members and other members of the public. The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund and the site hosts jointly decided to postpone these visits out of an abundance of caution for our visitors and volunteers. While disappointed this decision has become necessary, we already are looking at dates in 2021 and 2022 to reschedule these important events.

I remember my first visit to the wall was a very memorable moment.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The tour schedule originally included significantly more cities However, C-19 has caused a modified schedule.

VVMF ANNOUNCES 2020 THE WALL THAT HEALS Modified TOUR SCHEDULE

Thanks, since Noz lives near Springfield, Mo. I thought it was somewhere near there and thought about going today. I have been to the one in D.C. through the Honor Flight but wanted to see the moving one if it was near where Noz lives.

I have a experience with the wall.  The moving wall was in Algonac Mi. a few years ago and I visited the wall in Washington D.C.  I was looking for a classmate of mine from Jr. High and High School, we had the same last letter of our names so we shared desks, lockers and became good friends.  He was a little older than me, and when we graduated in 1966 and with A-1 draft status, your time as a civilian was going to be very short.  He got drafted into the Army, two months later I got my draft notice and enlisted into the Marine Corps.  While I was in basic training my mom wrote me and gave me the terrible news that my friend has been killed in Viet Nam, I was devastated.   For years and years I thought my friend had been killed in the war.  Later I got together with a Highschool mate and wear discussing the war and the friends that we had lost, and we were talking about our mutual friend and how I could not locate him on the wall.  My friend said that he was not dead and he had just had a beer with him a couple of week ago, I was elated.  We live far apart and I have not got together with him as yet.  My mom had sent me the dead notice of a Marine that had been killed in the war with similar last name, and she thought it was my friend.   I am looking forward to having a beer with my friend.

At the wall in D.C. they have a book that list names in alphabetical order that showS what panel and line the name will be found.I would think the traveling wall has something similar. My Father is on the wall, Panel 6 West line 41, GySgt. Lynne H. Rutter,U.S.M.C.

Howdy,

There are some mistakes on the wall.

Good to hear your friend is still around.

I went during the day and just happened to take a tour that

visited the wall at night....It was very different at night.

Best

CR

This will give you information. Searchable by name, city, etc. I went to visit the wall in 85 but was emotionally unable to make it down the walkway. Maybe someday.

https://www.virtualwall.org

I was working for the Department of the Interior when the memorial was being designed and built.  Since DOI was basically just across the street from the site we watched it being built.  When designs were first circulated I know a lot of veterans, including me, wanted the typical Greco-Roman type memorial.  When the "wall" was selected a lot of people were really disappointed in the Maya Lin design.  After it was completed a bunch of us went down to the opening.  As I walked down the path towards the center of the wall I was literally crushed by the impact the wall had on me.  I stood there and could not move for several minutes.  In retrospect most people now view Maya Lin's design as inspired.  I think those that reviewed the designs and selected the winning design were equally inspired.

I visited the Vietnam Memorial in Kentucky. That was a real moving one for me. All the names of service members from Kentucky KIA are listed. It is a very large sun dial and as the shadow of the tip of the dial moves the point of that shadow will be on the service member on the exact date and time they were killed. The area is all brick on on those bricks where the shadow falls are the rank, name of the deceased. All the other bricks are blank except for the ones at the month, day, time KIA.

For some reason I was not moved at the D.C. Memorial while there on the Honor Flight. Just no emotion.

There are five names on the wall of guys I went to school with.  Four from junior high and one from AFROTC.  The latter was finally declared dead and posthumously promoted to major, as he had been IIRC a 1LT.  He was a backseater in an RF-4.  According to another classmate who was in the same squadron with him, they were making infrared photos over South Viet Nam, and called in "feet dry" coming off the ocean.  That was the last anyone heard of them, and the wreckage has never, to my knowledge, been found! :(  I found his name on the wall a couple of years ago when visiting DC.  RIP, Maj. Spillman. :FlagAm:

On 7/5/2020 at 9:44 AM, Mustang Gregg said:

The travelling wall moves around the country.

The Traveling wall was in Springfield, Mo last weekend.

2 hours ago, Noz said:

The Traveling wall was in Springfield, Mo last weekend.

Well nuts, I wanted to come down. Didn't know it was there.

I personally know a few guys that are listed on the wall.  Every time I hear about, or think, of the wall, I think of a guy I knew, that was on patrol near the DMZ in South Korea, during the '60's.  He was in the Army.  He was murdered by a North Korean sniper, shooting across the DMZ.  The U.S. Government made a lame protest, but true to form, nothing else.  His name is not on any wall.  He is not remembered but by only a few, but he still "lives" in a few of us that remember him.  You are not forgotten, Leslie Hasty. 

W.K.

Martin Beck, Ed Golder, Jim Gribbin, Frank McNutt, Terry Ketter, George Parounagian........

Archived