SASS Wire Forum

Slix Shot Nipples and Alternatives

So I purchased a second Navy Yank in .44, getting both tuned up at Log Cabin Gun Shop locally about a half hour away.  I went online today to order a second set of Slix Shot nipples to ship by the time both navies were ready.  Unfortunately Slix Springs are out of the Pietta nipples right now.  They seem really low on the offerings for other models too.  Is there any particular reason?

More importantly, if it takes them some time to restock, are there any other aftermarket nipples (yes I know, cones) you guys would suggest that could be comparable?

In today's primer/cap shortage I've done some research.  Slix Shot nipples are made for #10 caps and the AMPCO you can get for either #10 or #11.  I've got very little experience with the Slix Shot, and none with the AMPCO, but it might come down to cap availability to which nipples I use in the future.

3 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

I use Slix but I have heard some swear by Treso AMPCO Nipples/Cones

I have used both on several different Ruger Old Armies and the treso have worked better for me. I have been able to lighten hammer springs more with them and rarely have a cap blow off compared to slix I have used 

The Treso Amco nipples are also very good, but even harder to find than Slixx(at least the ones for Pietta revolvers are hard to find right now).

Another vote for Treso, if you can find em.

8 hours ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

aftermarket nipples (yes I know, cones)

Don't fall into that.

I used to know a guy with a pack of hunting dogs. He referred to his female dogs as "jips", apparently because bitch was a bad word.

I could understand if I called that woman over there a bitch, that's bad thing. But if I call Worthless a bitch, it's a simple statement of fact. She's a female dog - a bitch.

A cone is a distinct geometric shape. I have never seen a cone shaped nipple on a firearm.

The place where you put the percussion cap is the nipple. It is not a dirty word.

If you are not able to put a cap on the nipple, how in the world are you supposed to cock the gun?

My principal experience has been with Slix.  I prefer them over anything.  I have several CAS partners whom really like TRESO/AmpCo.  I did not personally have good luck with Treso.  I have always ordered Slix from Badman Bullets whom is also now the owner of TK4B, who make Slix products.

Archived