SASS Wire Forum

Mosin Nagant M91/30

Reading about quiet shooting firearms that don't require a suppressor.

I've read a few posts here on the SALOON about the Mosin Nagant M91/30; however, is it truly as quiet as they purport?

mosin-819644023579-1__96029.1550097631.jpg.002904e19d05daa3524e8710bcef9b08.jpg

https://www.offthegridnews.com/self-defense/5-super-quiet-guns-that-dont-need-a-suppressor/

I have one that I bought really cheap 10-15 yrs ago. I shot it once about 5 rounds and I don't remember it being very loud! 

7.62 X54, It's a powerful round!!

Some of that surplus 7.62×54 machine gun ammo sure barks... and your shoulder will likely bark for a while after shooting it, too.  :huh:

Like the opening line in an article at Wideners dot Com sez...  "Mosin-Nagants are often homely, always loud and not generally known to be precision rifles."  :rolleyes:

It's a good read, by the way.  :)

Not quiet at all.

UB,

Thank's for the video.

I believe with all the responses to my post, this particular rifle will not be on my list of purchases, at least for the foreseeable future.

18 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

UB,

Thank's for the video.

I believe with all the responses to my post, this particular rifle will not be on my list of purchases, at least for the foreseeable future.

It’s a cool rifle. And accurate enough to snipe a whole lot of Germans during the war.  But certainly not any quieter than any 30 cal military piece. I would put the accuracy below an SMLE and above a Garand.

27 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

UB,

Thank's for the video.

I had two of them and sold them both.  I regret doing so very much.  If the price is good (these days, anyway), I’d like to have one.

Where did you see it for sale?

Cat Brules

46 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Yer missing out, FKCGG~!!  :)

Like Bob sez, they are a TON o' fun~!  ^_^

I shot one in CMP matches years ago.

Same bang as the M1A and Garand.

I had a Finish version that shot nice groups but the lowest sight setting was for 300 paces (not yards).

34 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

I had two of them and sold them both.  I regret doing so very much.  If the price is good (these days, anyway), I’d like to have one.

Cat Brules

The prices are in the $250-400 range. A long way from the $79 specials of 8 or 10 years ago. :(

6 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The prices are in the $250-400 range. A long way from the $79 specials of 8 or 10 years ago. :(

I paid $100 and I got mine at least 10 yrs ago, nice to know  they have  more than doubled in price! 

UTAH BOB: First I shoot deer with rifle. If not kill, I stab with bayonet, Then Clean deer.

After that. Drink Wodka.

Nastrovia!

5 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Cat Brules

Cat,

https://www.interordnance.com/p/m9130-mosin-nagant-rifle

https://wbtguns.com/sales-items/russian-mosin-nagant-91-30-7-62x54r/

https://www.jgsales.com/mosin-nagant-91-30-round-receiver-rifle,-7.62x54r,-1930-40s-tula-mfg,-vg,-c-r,-used,-w-options.-p-100680.html

I love my M44 Carbine, I first fired it with some new Wolff ammo and it was Loud and Smacked you pretty hard. I tried some of the surplus Czech ammo i bought and it wasn't quite as violent and loud. 

14 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Some of that surplus 7.62×54 machine gun ammo sure barks... and your shoulder will likely bark for a while after shooting it, too.  :huh:

Like the opening line in an article at Wideners dot Com sez...  "Mosin-Nagants are often homely, always loud and not generally known to be precision rifles."  :rolleyes:

It's a good read, by the way.  :)

They are butt ugly, loud and who ever called them "not generally known to be precision rifles" did not know what the hell they were talking about.

kR

WOW , I am pretty sure I paid a lot less , when I got my first one , it was a Finnish M38 , think I got it and 100 rds of ammo for $65  

sure wish that had not gone away , as I recall it was a very good shooter , was a bit loud being a carbine 

around here they are going for around $400 + tax 

BUT I can recall getting SKSs for $40 ea + spam can of ammo , if ya got a case (5 rifles) packed in grease 

CB 

3 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

WOW , I am pretty sure I paid a lot less , when I got my first one , it was a Finnish M38 , think I got it and 100 rds of ammo for $65  

sure wish that had not gone away , as I recall it was a very good shooter , was a bit loud being a carbine 

around here they are going for around $400 + tax 

BUT I can recall getting SKSs for $40 ea + spam can of ammo , if ya got a case (5 rifles) packed in grease 

CB 

The Finns are the most expensive now. I’ve seen them for $600+. There used to be a seller in Florida who specialized in them.

well I am still trying to gather back , some of the stuff , that went away with the EX 

at one time I had some real nice mil rifles , thinking I would like  to get a hex reciver Finn , pretty hard to find and most likely in the $600 + range 

too many guns and NOT enough $$$ 

CB 

Archived