SASS Wire Forum

1897 Winchester unloading video

Col Del Rio

on my 73 I just hold down the loading gate, wiggle the cartridge with my other finger and they pop right out.

Pump the slide, pull the trigger, and repeat until empty. Pointing the muzzle in a safe direction, of course. (Legal disclaimer: Just a joke. Don't do it at home).

Or, push the button on the side of the receiver, and pump the slide until all shells have been ejected. Onto a bed or something soft. Keep fingers away from the trigger.

Or did you mean some gun-smith method?

That would be handy to know.

No joking....

UNLOAD the WIN97 Shotgun OUTDOORS, with the muzzle POINTED DOWN, and nothing; people, pets, cars, bikes,houses houses, etc. is near or is in danger of, being “swept” by the muzzle of the shotgun.

—  Keep your finger(s) OUT of the trigger guard, and OFF and AWAY from the trigger.

—  Push and hold down the action/slide-lock release button (on the right side, toward the  rear, of the receiver.)

—  While holding this button down, operate the slide (back and forth) repeatedly, ejecting the live shotgun shells, until the shells have all exited the magazine tube, and have been cycled up and ejected out of the shotgun, through the ejection port.

—. Check the magazine tube visibly, at the bottom of the shotgun (the loading port) to ensure that the bottom of the steel magazine spring follower is visible AND that there are NO brass shot shell heads showing visible in the magazine tube.

—. look through the ejection port, into the chamber, to ensure there are no shot shells in the chamber.

—  The shot gun is unloaded.

Cat Brules

Havn't anybody noticed the "poacher" buttons located on both sides of the receiver just forward of the trigger guard??    push both in at the same time and the shells will squirt out of the loading port.   No pumping the forearm or cycling shells thru the action.    GW

If it doesnt have the buttons you can reach inside the reciever & push the cartridge stops.One then the other.Works for me..

Largo

18 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Havn't anybody noticed the "poacher" buttons located on both sides of the receiver just forward of the trigger guard??    push both in at the same time and the shells will squirt out of the loading port.   No pumping the forearm or cycling shells thru the action.    GW

I don't see those buttons on my '97s. Or, I don't recognize them.

On my Remington 870, there's a serrated tab that unlocks the slide, but there's only 1 tab.

Can you post a photo of them?

Thanks,

Brazos

Brazos John, sorry not smart enough to do pictures.  Maybe you have a "C" or earlier model.  Buttons started with "D" series (I believe) and all "E" plus china made copies. The buttons are actually the rear end of the shell stops, Located approx. 1/2 in up from the lower edge of the receiver, half way back on loading port.        GW

97.jpg.de6e248832d26dd878865c2cd4eb5663.jpg

Photo used from Classifieds "Oregonian" without permission

Did not know they were called Poacher Buttons, learn something new everyday.

17 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Brazos John, sorry not smart enough to do pictures.  Maybe you have a "C" or earlier model.  Buttons started with "D" series (I believe) and all "E" plus china made copies. The buttons are actually the rear end of the shell stops, Located approx. 1/2 in up from the lower edge of the receiver, half way back on loading port.        GW

I guess I have the earlier models. I've never seen those buttons.

3 hours ago, Bo Dacious said:

97.jpg.de6e248832d26dd878865c2cd4eb5663.jpg

Photo used from Classifieds "Oregonian" without permission

Did not know they were called Poacher Buttons, learn something new everyday.

Thanks for the photo.

Same with me, I've never heard of them.

One of those modern improvements, I guess.

Poacher buttons because night hunter could have magazine loaded to be ready for quick shot, but able to dump all the shells quickly if stopped by somebody/      GW

Thanks Bo Dacious for the assist.  Knew somebody smarter would help me out.   By the way, nice looking 97      GW

Archived