SASS Wire Forum

You don't have a gun

Alpo

8 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I have a nice little wakizashi for such things.

Picked it up in the late 1970s.  A friend had bought it at a pawn shop and wanted the fittings.  The blade is chipped, has some pits from rust. And has a kink in the middle of the blade.  Also, the tang had been cut short, just past the mekugi-ana.  I had an extension brazed on.  

I think someone had brought it home as a trophy and let his kids play with it.

I did a little polishing on it and tried to get the kink out.  Purists would shudder, but it would still be an effective weapon.

wakizashi.jpg

If it’s a genuine war trophy it could be very very valuable. Did you know that the handle comes off? It’s held in place by a bamboo pin. On the tang the maker, his school, and date are usually engraved. The blade is the big thing. The handle not so much. That one looks pretty boogered up.

I have some doubts about this one. They have been making knock offs for many years. 
You might want to research it a bit. They can be worth a lot, if genuine.

Edit: Oh no tang. That’s a bummer.

I had a Katana I got in a little antique/ junk shop in 69. Payed $25? Sold it for $250 as I recall. It wasn’t an old one. Made in the 20s. Wish I still had it though. 

1175217C-8A21-4B75-82EF-70EFA8A6EC2F.jpeg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

I thought going down stairs to check it out was a no-no.  You have no idea what you're walking into and could find things to your disadvantage...............

Since this is purely hypothetical, we'll go with it.

We don't have a downstairs either.  If we run out of ammo or firearms before we run out of baddies, {not likely} we have a long handle axe we keep in the bedroom in case of a hurricane and we have to chop our way out of the house.

I like the way you think. 1000 thumbs up! :D

Some of you pick the bloodiest weaponry...you know you gotta clean up the mess. It’s your house, right? :P

Of course that chainsaw idea of @Widder, SASS #59054 would scare the livin’ bejesus out of pretty much any bad guy. If not, bye bye bad guy appendages. Hello forensic cleaning crew! :lol:

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Some of you pick the bloodiest weaponry...you know you gotta clean up the mess. It’s your house, right? 

Um....a .44 hollowpoint exiting would create a considerable mess, don't you think?

Just now, Subdeacon Joe said:

Um....a .44 hollowpoint exiting would create a considerable mess, don't you think?

Not as bad as a chainsaw, a barbed wire ball bat, a sword, etc...:D

Perhaps a recording of someone that sounds like my mother-in-law screeching at them...bloodless but effective. :lol:

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

You wake up one night to hear sounds downstairs. You are apparently being burgled.

You go downstairs to check this out.

Since you have no firearms, with what would you arm yourself to go check this out?

TV/movies usually has the husband take a golf club. Occasionally a tennis racket. Occasionally a ball bat.

I would be SOL. While I have in the past played all three sports, I no longer do and thus have no equipment.

I can't even imagine not having a gun, or several.

3 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Howze about a butcher knife from the kitchen drawer?  Of course, you’d have to get to the kitchen drawer, first.  So, buy an appropriate butcher knife to keep under your bed.

The, “You have no guns!” restriction to this imaginary situation Is not insurmountable.

So, you may wish to do like this, instead:  I think the company called, “Cold Steel“ (if they are still in business) might still sell steel spear points. Order one of those and attach the spear point to a 3-foot-long piece of wood dowel of the appropriate diameter (you might have to shave it down a little), and keep that short spear under your bed.  Hopefully, that would pretty much end such a threat. 

Cat Brules

But wouldn't going all Shaka Zulu on someone be cultural appropriation? :P

Awww............had me going there for a minute...........but I checked,  still have a gun.

gunslotsofguns.jpg

2 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

But wouldn't going all Shaka Zulu on someone be cultural appropriation? :P

I believe spears have been multicultural. 

I would probably just close the fire door at the top of the steps and wait for the police.  Much easier than the wrongful death lawsuit that would surely follow.  

If I just got home from that terrible boating accident and the gunstore was closed, it would be the AAA collector Louisville Slugger on the wall.  If they attack before this covid remodel project is done, it would be the flatbar and claw hammer sitting by the pile of trim.

12 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Wasp spray!!

That is what we keep handy in the car.

Unlike MACE, a baseball bat or a tire iron, HotShot will not automatically get you arrested.

There is an app that ties to alexa and you tell it Alexia, I am being pulled over by the police" and it immediately starts the video recording and notifies your friends .  

Just do that and take their picture and a social worker may stop by later to offer platitudes.  

13 minutes ago, bgavin said:

That is what we keep handy in the car.

Unlike MACE, a baseball bat or a tire iron, HotShot will not automatically get you arrested.

Keep a ball and mit in the car with that bat, your lawyer will thank you.

Next to my bed I have a short baseball bat, a hurling stick, a 6.5 ft bo staff, an eaku (like the bo but with an oar on the end), a hardwood bokken, a katana, a naval cutlass, a 3 or 4 foot spear, and 2 suspiciously sturdy walking sticks.  Honestly its a good thing I have a gun cause I probably wouldn't be able to decide between all of those options. 

I would probably pick the spear or hurling stick first if the gun wasn't available.  The katana is in a bag and takes too long to get out, and the rest are either much longer or more clumsy than those 2. 

I don't have a gun and I have an upstairs. However, I sleep on the first floor. The door to the upstairs is next to my bedroom door so I guess can go up the stairs and wait. I have the item in the picture at the top of the stairs and it is loaded with Black powder and a shot canister and I keep strike anywhere matches next to it. If I lock the door to the stairs and they break it down to come up the stairs, they will have a nice surprise when they open the door.

pic 1.JPG

No Gun ? 

I have a gun in every room !

I know I know you are thinking what are you afraid of Rooster  ? 

I say NOT A DAMN THING :D

My kids was raised around guns and they had there own guns in there bed rooms .

My grandkids are being raised around guns and already know guns are Not Toys .

I believe in teaching the kids about guns , Not hiding them and never letting them see or touch guns .

That's how accidents  happen

( curiosity  )

So Saith The Rooster. 

5 hours ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

I don't have a gun and I have an upstairs. However, I sleep on the first floor. The door to the upstairs is next to my bedroom door so I guess can go up the stairs and wait. I have the item in the picture at the top of the stairs and it is loaded with Black powder and a shot canister and I keep strike anywhere matches next to it. If I lock the door to the stairs and they break it down to come up the stairs, they will have a nice surprise when they open the door.

pic 1.JPG

Reminded me of this:
965c7fa888e538d7f8e578a95d8c074ff26bd8e2f3085cde04dbc27e49b139a3_1.thumb.jpg.d4252dfafdf532dfe91b53f42c79967d.jpg

1 hour ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Just holler at ‘em and let ‘em know you accidentally broke the glass case that your tarantula collection lived in. 

Years ago, the neighbor’s glass case was broke from his high school kid and friends screwing around in the living room.  He got rid of their python or boa and left the broken case as a reminder not to horse around inside.  It was the first thing you saw when you walked in.  They would let visitors think it had just happened and the snake had escaped into the house.  People would randomly run out of their house screaming.  

I thought we weren’t supposed to take a knife (sword, bat, etc.) to a gunfight.  You gotta assume the intruder has a gun!  

17 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Howze about a butcher knife from the kitchen drawer?  Of course, you’d have to get to the kitchen drawer, first.  So, buy an appropriate butcher knife to keep under your bed.

The, “You have no guns!” restriction to this imaginary situation Is not insurmountable.

So, you may wish to do like this, instead:  I think the company called, “Cold Steel“ (if they are still in business) might still sell steel spear points. Order one of those and attach the spear point to a 3-foot-long piece of wood dowel of the appropriate diameter (you might have to shave it down a little), and keep that short spear under your bed.  Hopefully, that would pretty much end such a threat. 

Cat Brules

Cold Steel is still in business as far as I know. I have one of these in my bug out bag near the bed. I'd probably lean toward the S&W M-19 that lives in the bag too.

JHC

CS35AMnn.jpg

27 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

There you go!

Channel your inner Samuel Whitmore and take care of bidness.:D

America’s original bad a$$

I don’t have a baseball bat anymore.  I had inherited mine from my older brother.  When he came over a few years ago, he saw the bat and said, “Hey, that’s MY bat!”  And confiscated it.

Without a gun, I would use one of my knives.  Frankly, I’d rather use a bat, as there may be less blood mess to clean up.

1 hour ago, South-Eye Ned said:

I don’t have a baseball bat anymore.  I had inherited mine from my older brother.  When he came over a few years ago, he saw the bat and said, “Hey, that’s MY bat!”  And confiscated it.

Without a gun, I would use one of my knives.  Frankly, I’d rather use a bat, as there may be less blood mess to clean up.

Aluminum t-ball bats are cheap and a handy size.

I kept one in the truck as a 'tire tester' when I was driving OTR.

18 hours ago, DocWard said:

I believe spears have been multicultural. 

The Zulu Assagi was unique  however.

Don't have a gun

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Howdy,

A non weapon that can be quite effective is know by the term nine iron.

Such items can be bought at goodwill stores and second hand shops for a couple bucks.

Use one like a pool cue and aim for the solar plexus (google if you must).

And if you have any sort of ailment or bad back or whatever it can be used as a cane.

Or claimed as a cane since you left the medical one at the diner.

Hitting someone with your hand can break any of the little bones.

Very painful and seldom shown in movies.

Best

CR 

Archived