SASS Wire Forum

You don't have a gun

Alpo

You wake up one night to hear sounds downstairs. You are apparently being burgled.

You go downstairs to check this out.

Since you have no firearms, with what would you arm yourself to go check this out?

TV/movies usually has the husband take a golf club. Occasionally a tennis racket. Occasionally a ball bat.

I would be SOL. While I have in the past played all three sports, I no longer do and thus have no equipment.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No GUN???    Call the Police like the rest of the snow flakes.   Should be there in 5 to 60 minutes     GW

My first thought was: "A big knife is almost as good in close quarters."  Most of us probably don't sleep with our hunting knives handy.

Anything that can be used as a club, or better yet as a jabbing weapon would be useful.  Think cane or umbrella.  Take a bath towel in your weak hand and throw it at the bad guy to distract him while you jab him in the stomach with your implement.  Think:  what do you have in your bedroom and how can it be used to protect yourself?

Duffield

3 minutes ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Take a bath towel in your weak hand and throw it at the bad guy to distract him while you jab him in the stomach with your implement.  Think:  what do you have in your bedroom and how can it be used to protect yourself?

Duffield

If you've got a towel, put something hard with a little bit of weight (like a can of shaving cream or a bar of soap, for example) in the middle, roll it up and hold onto the ends.  It will hurt more than feelings if you snap your wrist as you swing through the target.  Go for speed of swing, not power and let the whip effect of the towel increase the speed of the heavy end for added effect.

My katana? My tomahawk? My Sykes-Fairbairn?

The katana would be fine in the great room, but if caught on the stairs, I think I would prefer the tomahawk or the knife. Maybe I need to get a short sword of some type? I've been meaning to get a Scottish dirk for some time now, Maybe I should.

Oh, wait, you were asking hypothetically, if I had no guns. Nevermind.

1 minute ago, DocWard said:

My katana? My tomahawk? My Sykes-Fairbairn?

The katana would be fine in the great room, but if caught on the stairs, I think I would prefer the tomahawk or the knife. Maybe I need to get a short sword of some type? I've been meaning to get a Scottish dirk for some time now, Maybe I should.

Oh, wait, you were asking hypothetically, if I had no guns. Nevermind.

How about a big seax?  A 16 or 18" seax paired with a 'hawk could be an interesting combination. 

Or one of those leaf shaped short swords? 

Maybe a cinquedea?

4 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

How about a big seax?  A 16 or 18" seax paired with a 'hawk could be an interesting combination. 

Or one of those leaf shaped short swords? 

Maybe a cinquedea?

All good choices, but a dirk is more fitting with my Scots-Irish ancestry. A sgian dubh is a bit too short, but...

I have a nice little wakizashi for such things.

Picked it up in the late 1970s.  A friend had bought it at a pawn shop and wanted the fittings.  The blade is chipped, has some pits from rust. And has a kink in the middle of the blade.  Also, the tang had been cut short, just past the mekugi-ana.  I had an extension brazed on.  

I think someone had brought it home as a trophy and let his kids play with it.

I did a little polishing on it and tried to get the kink out.  Purists would shudder, but it would still be an effective weapon.

wakizashi.jpg

My leather belt with the big buckle and one or another of several canes and walking sticks that I use.

It’ll never happen!!  I have my Para well within reach and a Mossberg 835 standing beside the bed.

Howdy,

How about a good quality recording of a pump action shotgun being racked?

And an open door for bad guy to leave.....?

Most would probably be gone....

Best

CR

O Yes.....hahahahahahaha

Questions:

Who added a second story to my home? :P

Who would be daft enough to be a gun owner but not have a gun available in their bedroom? :unsure:

Dogs.....several agitated angry dogs!
Then if that doesn’t work out to our satisfaction 

It would be followed by a wall of hot lead<_<

( we’ll throw fishing line sInkers at the burglar ):lol:

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

A sgian dubh is a bit too short, but...

I have a sgian dubh within reach of my bed...  :)

Inexpensive; I picked it up to use as a pattern, but it does have a very good (and sharp!) blade.  Quite functional indeed.  ^_^

There's always a Plan B.....scare them off! :o

6a00e55417fcfd883401538f3effbc970b-800wi.jpg.3e9463aa9f48f9d0ada3e080b8cae426.jpg

"Alexa" release the dogs!!       GW

24 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

6a00e55417fcfd883401538f3effbc970b-800wi.jpg.3e9463aa9f48f9d0ada3e080b8cae426.jpg

Are you sure that isn’t “make them die laughing?”

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

6a00e55417fcfd883401538f3effbc970b-800wi.jpg.3e9463aa9f48f9d0ada3e080b8cae426.jpgThere you go!!!   Shock and awe!

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

You go downstairs to check this out.

I thought going down stairs to check it out was a no-no.  You have no idea what you're walking into and could find things to your disadvantage...............

Since this is purely hypothetical, we'll go with it.

We don't have a downstairs either.  If we run out of ammo or firearms before we run out of baddies, {not likely} we have a long handle axe we keep in the bedroom in case of a hurricane and we have to chop our way out of the house.

1 minute ago, Calamity Kris said:

We don't have a downstairs either

Strange. I have a downstairs, I just don't have an upstairs. :P

Peculiar the way the mind runs. Or at least the way mine does.

I was watching The Wonder Years last night. A bully had beat up Kevin, and when Dad heard this you can see him bowing up. He was ready to go down and pound on the bully. Then he calmed down, because the parent cannot go pound on the bully. They arrest you for things like that. My 18 year old high school senior big brother can go pound on the bully, but if my 35 year old father did it they would arrest him.

Anyway. That brought to mind the movie THE HAND THAT ROCKS THE CRADLE. The bad guy - a blonde woman, Rebecca somebody - had been hired as a nanny. The little girl got beat up at school by a bully. The nanny showed up the next day at school and beat up the bully, and told him that if he knew what was good for him he would never pick on the little girl again. This of course made the nanny a hero to the little girl, which was her plan all along.

Later in the same movie there was a noise downstairs, and the father got up and got a tennis racket and went downstairs to see what it was.

That prompted the question.

And I said "go downstairs" in my question because they always seem to live in a two-story house when they are going to investigate a noise armed with a golf club.

Howze about a butcher knife from the kitchen drawer?  Of course, you’d have to get to the kitchen drawer, first.  So, buy an appropriate butcher knife to keep under your bed.

The, “You have no guns!” restriction to this imaginary situation Is not insurmountable.

So, you may wish to do like this, instead:  I think the company called, “Cold Steel“ (if they are still in business) might still sell steel spear points. Order one of those and attach the spear point to a 3-foot-long piece of wood dowel of the appropriate diameter (you might have to shave it down a little), and keep that short spear under your bed.  Hopefully, that would pretty much end such a threat. 

Cat Brules

6 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

Howze about a butcher knife from the kitchen drawer?

The, “You have no guns!” restriction to this imaginary situation Is not insurmountable.

I think the company called, “Cold Steel“ (if they are still in business) might still sell steel spearpoints. Order one of those and attach it to a 3-foot-long piece of wood dowel of the appropriate diameter (you might have to shave it down a little), and keep that short spear under your bed.  Hopefully, that will pretty much end the threat. 

Cat Brules

Ya mean these, Cat...?   :)

SAMBURU SPEAR

4 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Ya mean these, Cat...?   :)

SAMBURU SPEAR

No, not exactly.  The ones I used have a large rear opening to accommodate sliding the wooden spear shaft into.  Then, use epoxy and some little screws (the spear points have screw holes) to tightly affix the point to the wood shaft.  You might have to shave the wood shaft down a bit, to get a proper fit.  Anyone of us can do it.  BUT, that’s just what I did.  Those other spear points might work just as well.  Just figure out a slightly different way to attach it to the shaft.  Obviously, the spear concept maintains some added distance between you and the moron burgler, keeping you safer. Sharpen the spear blade a bit so if he grabs it, he’ll slice his hand up

Cat Brules

Baseball bat is pretty effective. 

Inexpensive. Buy one or more anywhere.

Leave them laying around unsupervised and untrained kids don't have accidents with them.

Bats and bat owners aren't automatically vilified and criminalized by media.

No ammo needed. No reloading needed.

No hearing loss if used indoors.

Archived