SASS Wire Forum

Cleveland Indians name change?

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 1:25 PM, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

I believe the name was chosen because their best player at the time was an Indian and they wanted to honor him.  Guess he’s been honored long enough although polls suggest that the large majority of actual Indians have no problem with these names. Just a few agitators who get all the attention. 

Seamus

Hi Seamus,

Your comment reminds me of a Watters World episode I saw. He interviewed students in Berkley and Blacks in Harlem about requiring voter IDs. The students thought it was racist. The Blacks all knew where the DMV office was and thought it was a good idea,

Go figure!

Allie

Interesting article but it’s not very clear if the later name change was really linked to him or not. I do recall reading somewhere that about that time more than one good Black player was passed off as an Indian by teams in order to get them on the roster. 

Seamus

3 hours ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Interesting article but it’s not very clear if the later name change was really linked to him or not. I do recall reading somewhere that about that time more than one good Black player was passed off as an Indian by teams in order to get them on the roster. 

Seamus

I guess some sportswriter suggested the name Indians with no mention of Sockalexis. That’s what I’ve heard all my life here in Cleveland. I was born and raised here. I live in a suburb outside Cleveland. I’ve been an Indians fan since 1955.

Archived