SASS Wire Forum

Cleveland Indians name change?

https://sports.yahoo.com/cleveland-indians-prepared-to-discuss-changing-team-name-004530262.html

Along with the Washington Redskins the Indians are thinking about a name change! WTH is going on??:o

Rye,

What is going on , is that the Communist left has tremendous momentum spawned by recent events, and fueled by their allies in the MSM. They have hijacked just about every entity in our lives, and have taken PC to an un-imaginable level.

Quoting the words of some unknown author, “I fear that the days of Norman Rockwell’s America have come to an end “.

God help America.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/cleveland-indians-prepared-to-discuss-changing-team-name-004530262.html

Along with the Washington Redskins the Indians are thinking about a name change! WTH is going on??:o

How about calling them the Cleveland Looters and the Washington Protesters . That should be politically correct enough. I can hardly wait to see what the Protesters cheerleaders look like:ph34r:

They've mentioned The Spiders, which it was named before it was called the Indians.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CLV/1899.shtml

14 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

The Cleveland Cavalry Men. Cleveland Horse Soldiers. Cleveland Troopers. Maybe they like one of these better.

I kinda like the Troopers!!

31 minutes ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Weren't they referred to as the Naps( for Nap lajoie((SP?)} at one time as well?:blush:

image.png.a69c4708d593e0dbd4e1e6a88fa58f74.pngYep in 1905 American league, it was right before they changed to the Indians!

Personally I don't see anything wrong the nickname Indians! They got rid of Chief Wahoo because they said it was racist so now they just have the script INDIANS and a block C. I see nothing wrong with that at all! 

This is nuts!! What's next? The fighting Irish? The Vikings? :wacko::blink:

image.png.a8685a55d81eb8703f59bd53dfa9568c.png

image.thumb.png.54fd2f9247b4da6032dbc0895ad0d37e.png

I believe the name was chosen because their best player at the time was an Indian and they wanted to honor him.  Guess he’s been honored long enough although polls suggest that the large majority of actual Indians have no problem with these names. Just a few agitators who get all the attention. 

Seamus

37 minutes ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

I believe the name was chosen because their best player at the time was an Indian and they wanted to honor him.  Guess he’s been honored long enough although polls suggest that the large majority of actual Indians have no problem with these names. Just a few agitators who get all the attention. 

Seamus

Louis Sockalexis, he’s buried in the Erie St cemetery right across the street from Progressive Field! 

9 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Maybe they've never thought of this.....

..... keep the names, but change the mascot.

A motorcycle could replace the Indians face in Cleveland.......

.....and a peanut could replace the Indian head on the helmet in Washington. 

22 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

They are near the shores of Lake Erie. Call them the Lakers.

There’s already a NBA team called the Los Angeles Lakers!

27 minutes ago, Fence Cutter said:

The Indians already got rid of their mascot Chief Wahoo, last year. See my comments about 3-4 up from this.

5 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Don't forget the Atlanta Braves.

Yep! I imagine they’re on the list also!! Crazy!

10 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The Cleveland Lacy Drawers and the Washington Panty Waists sound like good names for them.

One more subject on my Who Cares list.

The Washington Robbers - since that's the cities principle business.

The Cleveland Cuckolds - since it's alliterative and it describes the owners.

4 hours ago, Fence Cutter said:

Or a big potato on the Redskins helmet!

I wonder if the Dallas Cowboys will be next ! LOL :o

I hope PETA doesn't get involved! There goes all the animal names!! :lol:

Let's see, how does this work?

I haven't heard anything about the Kansas City Chiefs. Maybe they will be left alone because they have a black quarterback?

They did however a few years ago get rid of the indian chief that rode the paint horse around the field. They now have a cheerleader riding the horse. :blink:

And I guess their mascot should be okay. It's some sort of a pocket gopher or something. :blink::blink:

6 hours ago, Fence Cutter said:

Let's see, how does this work?

I haven't heard anything about the Kansas City Chiefs. Maybe they will be left alone because they have a black quarterback?

They did however a few years ago get rid of the indian chief that rode the paint horse around the field. They now have a cheerleader riding the horse. :blink:

And I guess their mascot should be okay. It's some sort of a pocket gopher or something. :blink::blink:

Just drop the "i" and call 'em the "Chefs."

New logo can be a spatula superimposed over a toque (chef's hat).   :rolleyes:

59 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Just drop the "i" and call 'em the "Chefs."

New logo can be a spatula superimposed over a toque (chef's hat).   :rolleyes:

As a Broncos fan, I can live with this idea. :D

On 7/4/2020 at 10:30 AM, doc roy l. pain said:

Cleveland Looters and the Washington Protesters 

and we're supposed to sing Hail to the Protesters?  I think not.

On 7/4/2020 at 6:45 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Don't forget the Atlanta Braves.

Atlanta already fired Chief Knockahoma and got rid of the "chop".   Apparently they both offended indians that were run out of the state 180 years ago.   I guess they should change their name to the Cobb County Braves since they also moved out of Atlanta.

6 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Atlanta already fired Chief Knockahoma and got rid of the "chop".   Apparently they both offended indians that were run out of the state 180 years ago.   I guess they should change their name to the Cobb County Braves since they also moved out of Atlanta.

I'm surprised they didn't get rid of the name Cobb County since Ty Cobb was "supposedly" a racist!:o

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'm surprised they didn't get rid of the name Cobb County since Ty Cobb was "supposedly" a racist!:o

Cobb County was named after a lawyer/politician in the 1820's.  After Georgia stole the land from the Cherokee Indians, one of the counties they created was Cobb County.  It borders Atlanta but it's a pretty Republican county.  They produced Newt Gingrich in Cobb County.

On 7/4/2020 at 4:25 PM, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Seamus

Actually that's a myth, he was the first Native American ballplayer and he was a very good player but they did NOT name the team after him. I'll find the link to the story in a minute. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-myth-behind-the-first-cleveland-indian-louis-sockalexis

Archived