SASS Wire Forum

I Think He Has Done This Before

Subdeacon Joe

Well, I hope he’s got plenty of spare parts and some cash.  It probably doesn’t matter much because the “truck” doesn’t matter much.  He can save all the running gear, wheels and tires, tank, alternator, lines, wiring, etc., and other various items, electrical odds and ends, pop them in another truck hull and start over, I guess, if he keeps pushing the truck body until it craters.  The water exposure, and other exposures, if he keeps it up and doesn’t pull the maintenance that kind of abuse requires, will degrade everything.  The engine likely will need a flush and reassembly.  Easy, no problem other than time.  But, it is bit of an effort.

It does look like fun, though.   :)

Cat Brules

The old deuce was an amazing vehicle that would go just about anywhere. It wouldn't always go fast, but it would go. We had several in my Guard unit, up into the 2000s, dating back to the '60s..

When I was in the Guard, we were coming back from AT and one of our vehicles pulling a water buffalo broke down. Since I was licensed, they sent me to pull the buffalo back with a deuce. Now, they were broken down on the shoulder of the highway, and there was a bunch of traffic. There was simply no way to safely merge onto the highway, because of the broken down vehicle in front. My commander, who was on scene, told me to go around to the right into the grass next to the shoulder. As soon as I  did, I felt the truck sinking and my A-Driver said "we're going to get stuck!" My reply was to reach down and engage the front axle and hit the gas, and say "Lesson One: Properly driven, deuce and a half's don't get stuck."  Evidently I left ruts from 6-12" deep for about thirty yards or so, and my commander was not happy, because I didn't stop to help fill them in.

If I won the lottery, I would buy one and set it up as my ultimate overlanding camper, just for kicks.

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Couldn’t take the little knuckleheads yelling. 

When I scrolled down and saw this, I was so glad I watched it with the volume off.

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

The old deuce was an amazing vehicle that would go just about anywhere. It wouldn't always go fast, but it would go. We had several in my Guard unit, up into the 2000s, dating back to the '60s..

When I was in the Guard, we were coming back from AT and one of our vehicles pulling a water buffalo broke down. Since I was licensed, they sent me to pull the buffalo back with a deuce. Now, they were broken down on the shoulder of the highway, and there was a bunch of traffic. There was simply no way to safely merge onto the highway, because of the broken down vehicle in front. My commander, who was on scene, told me to go around to the right into the grass next to the shoulder. As soon as I  did, I felt the truck sinking and my A-Driver said "we're going to get stuck!" My reply was to reach down and engage the front axle and hit the gas, and say "Lesson One: Properly driven, deuce and a half's don't get stuck."  Evidently I left ruts from 6-12" deep for about thirty yards or so, and my commander was not happy, because I didn't stop to help fill them in.

If I won the lottery, I would buy one and set it up as my ultimate overlanding camper, just for kicks.

You had new models. My unit still had a few GM slush-o- Matics. We also had one break down on the New York turnpike returning from AT being a maintenance unit we of course had tow equipment. That wouldn’t have been any fun we just changed the engine out on the side of the road 

1 minute ago, Henry T Harrison said:

You had new models. My unit still had a few GM slush-o- Matics. We also had one break down on the New York turnpike returning from AT being a maintenance unit we of course had tow equipment. That wouldn’t have been any fun we just changed the engine out on the side of the road 

Yep, the one dedicated to the medical section, along with at least one other, was made by Kaiser, with the turbo diesel and manual trans. 

3 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Yep, the one dedicated to the medical section, along with at least one other, was made by Kaiser, with the turbo diesel and manual trans. 

Ours were two speed automatic but they were darned dependable 

3 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Ours were two speed automatic but they were darned dependable 

The vehicle that broke down, if I recall, was a later model five ton. I never drove one of the automatics. Not sure I ever saw one! Our deuces just kept going as well. Always had an old, non-turbo model at the front of the convoy, because he set the (slow) pace.

5 hours ago, DocWard said:

The vehicle that broke down, if I recall, was a later model five ton. I never drove one of the automatics. Not sure I ever saw one! Our deuces just kept going as well. Always had an old, non-turbo model at the front of the convoy, because he set the (slow) pace.

And I never saw a turbo model 

Archived