SASS Wire Forum

SASSNET.COM Hacked?

Flying W Ramrod

Got a, phishing, email today from the CRO of the Four Corners Region saying.

I need your assistance, are you available? I'm out of town. Can you please handle this on behalf of the society.

Single Action Shooting Society - Four Corners Region , needs gift cards for donation to Veterans at Hospice care for preventive items for the (COVID-19) outbreak patients across the community. Kindly confirm if you can help out,  I'll be liable for refund.

Yeah, like I'm going to fall for this. The only way the spammer could have gotten the names, offices, territories and email addresses is by hacking the sassnet.com site.

Hope someone at HQ is looking at this.
Be vigilant.

I received the same from the NW Regional CRO (supposedly).
The direct contact email addresses are listed on the SASS links to the RO Instructors.

Common (apparently) for scammers to use a website's contact list by pretending to be the head of the organization and request "help" in purchasing gift cards or such for donations or gifts.

Same happened to me twice with a fake "from" address for the President of the OR State Shooting Assn.
I have an email address as a Director that forwards to my personal email.
The request was for $2000 in "gift cards" for the other board members as  "surprise" appreciation awards at our annual meeting.

Wanted me to scan the cards & codes, then email to confirm purchase...to be reimbursed at a later date.

3 minutes ago, Mad Dog Jack, SASS #77862 said:

Well, they got your number, but not mine.So far.

They got the information off the:

"Training & Safety:

Range Officers Safety Courses:

Portion of the sassnet.com home page.

Similar scam was attempted on us at Buffalo Range Riders club at Founders Ranch, a year after we ordered awards, gift trinkets, etc. for State Match.    I'd look at the folks you might have ordered things from on-line as a club.   They used my name and sent email to our Treasurer using the same scam, wanted Treasurer to  buy WalMart gift cards for a purchase I "needed to make while I was out of town"

Strongly doubt they got info directly from SASS (in other words, this is not a HACK where private info was stolen), but seems it was published info on the web site.  Be careful what you publish on the Internet, or allow to be published, including Social Media!

Be careful, GJ

You should contact SASS directly, in Edgewood NM, and try to speak to Misty, but if not, any of the ladies.  I don’t know if SASS HQ is still working from home. Explain your concern and questions.   SASS contact information appears immediately below this text————.  Cat Brules

——————————

Single Action Shooting Society®
215 Cowboy Way
Edgewood, NM 87015

Toll Free:  
Phone: 
Fax: 
www.sassnet.com

sassnet.com
————————————

Don't worry if you get the gift cards your vehicle warranty will be extended, your credit score will improve, and your student loans will be forgiven.  Oh yea almost forgot, the IRS won't send the police to take you to jail.  :ph34r:

7 hours ago, Flying W Ramrod said:

They got the information off the:

"Training & Safety:

Range Officers Safety Courses:

Portion of the sassnet.com home page.

This is not a "hack" where Fire Walls are breached and data stolen.  This is "data mining", where unscrupulous characters go through a web page and use publicly available information.  So, anyone in the Training and Safety list, anyone of the "Contacts" on the "SASS Affiliated Clubs" page, is liable to get unwanted advertising, phishing scams, or even phone calls at those listed numbers.  Be vigilant.  Listen to that little inner voice that says, "this doesn't sound right."  Verify.  Especially before going out and sending funds through untraceable "gift cards".

I would also caution about including phone numbers or e-mail addresses in posts on the Wire.  Posts are viewable by the general public.  A person only has to register in order to reply or make a post themselves.  We also find the occasional new Wire "member" who makes it through the initial screening who originates in Nigeria or other interesting locales.

Just like the "Snake Oil" salesmen and grifters of the Old West, "they" are still among us.

Thank you for bringing this up.  Everybody should be reminded that no one is "safe" from scammers.  Be aware.

5 hours ago, Rustler, SASS #33316 said:

I am one of those listed and I was not asking for gift cards. I need you to send cash (gold dust or Yankee dollars) so I can buy more cowboy guns.... :D

Well...that sounds like him, so it must be legit.

Archived