SASS Wire Forum

NASCAR Folly

NASCAR had said they wanted to enforce social distancing and the wearing of face masks, until Bubba Wallace had a "noose" in the garage.  NASCAR then had a Bubba love fest and social distancing and masks went out the window.  At the end of the race Bubba ran up to the fans, no mask on him or the fans, and started slapping hands.  Today it was announced that Jimmie Johnson and his wife have tested positive for COVID-19.  Johnson won't be racing this weekend and will probably start to quarantine.  So I wonder how many more drivers and crews are going to start testing positive.

Another reason that pro sports have turned into a shame.

1 hour ago, Tequila Shooter said:

NASCAR had said they wanted to enforce social distancing and the wearing of face masks, until Bubba Wallace had a "noose" in the garage.  NASCAR then had a Bubba love fest and social distancing and masks went out the window.  At the end of the race Bubba ran up to the fans, no mask on him or the fans, and started slapping hands.  Today it was announced that Jimmie Johnson and his wife have tested positive for COVID-19.  Johnson won't be racing this weekend and will probably start to quarantine.  So I wonder how many more drivers and crews are going to start testing positive.

I haven't watched pro sports since 1970 and almost any sport of any kind since 1985.

I watch some sporting events, mostly ones that I participated in myself.  I’m not religious about any of them, but particularly the motorsports interest me.  I’ve driven stock cars, sports cars, drag cars, motorcycles, and drag boats. I don’t care which one you choose, it takes skill, stamina, and smarts to be even mildly successful in any one of these disciplines! It’s a lot like music and movies, in that you have to set whoever’s politics aside or you won’t have much left for entertainment.

I also turn down the sound so’s I don’t have to listen to someone else’s crap and I usually turn it off as soon as the competition is finished.

I also played baseball, football, tennis, and hockey when I was in school, so I take a looksee at them now and again.

I will STILL occasionally take on a twisty stretch of road on a bike or a sporty car and I’ve been known to accept a stoplight to stoplight as recently as last Wednesday on the way home from the doctor’s office!

SO! I watch some sports now and then.  I won’t make any excuse and I don’t apologize!

I’m also one of those who despise these overpaid punks who disrespect our flag and our nation!!  I don’t hold that against others who participate in sporting events!!

I used to be a die-hard NASCAR fan.

We would plan our weekend around the races.

Then, it all became the same.  Certain drivers were overtly shown favoritism while others were dealt with harshly for the same "infraction".  The cars all looked the same.   And I personally can't stand super-speedway races.

I hadn't watched a NASCAR race in probably 8-10 years until last month.  Hey, it was the only form of sports on TV that was live and not being played on video games by "professionals".

Then, this BLM and "noose".  I'm still not sure what is what with the noose.  The only picture I saw was of a garage door pull and I couldn't tell whether it was a noose or bowline knot or something else.  Seems the FBI investigated and found this had been there since October 2019 at least.

I used to root for Bubba Wallace when he was getting started, but I wonder now if he is just another snowflake...

Another driver that doesn't have the talent to truly excel at this level of motorsports.

You can have all the money in the world and the best team, but if you're not talented enough, you won't be a Jimmy Johnson, Kevin Harvick, Kyle Busch, etc.  Ask Dale, Jr.

Nascar drives around in a big oval. So what? Same thing little kids do in a go-cart on a track.

How did that become a professional sport?

Just how hard up for entertainment is this country?

16 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I guess you heard that "noose" turned out to be a garage door rope or some such that somebody sorta tied up to keep it out of the way and had been that way since like Oct, at least so said the FBI investigation.

JHC

27 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Nascar drives around in a big oval. So what? Same thing little kids do in a go-cart on a track.

How did that become a professional sport?

Until you’ve done it competitively, don’t sell their skill and intestinal fortitude short!  You would likely embarrass yourself badly if you tried it, even on an empty track!!

As to the little kid thing, how do you suppose these other sports get their competitors??

41 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Absolutely desperate!  At least the "entertainment" industry thinks so.  There is actually a tv show that is celebrities(?) watching other tv shows.  :wacko:  Do people actually need other people to tell them what they think while watching tv?  Wow!  Just, wow.

Angus

Over the last few years I've seen the attendance getting lower each year at the race tracks.  This whole publicity stunt that was pulled and that they're letting political statements be put on cars IMHO will drive attendance down even more. 

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Sort of like MST3K? Or maybe Svengoolie?

From the commercials I've seen it's just misc. celebrities sitting on a couch, or in bed, or where ever making comments on some tv show.  I don't know if they ever actually show the program they are watching or if it's just people making comments about the show.  I think the show watchers are different every week.  I also don't know what show is being shown to the show watchers or if it's the same show or different one every week.  I've never watched the "Watch Party" or whatever it's called, and I don't think I'm likely to do so.

Angus

On 7/4/2020 at 9:13 AM, Blackwater 53393 said:

Until you’ve done it competitively, don’t sell their skill and intestinal fortitude short!  You would likely embarrass yourself badly if you tried it, even on an empty track!!

As to the little kid thing, how do you suppose these other sports get their competitors??

EMBARRASS myself? ?

Not Hardly!!

Given a truckload of cash and a practice car.....even at MY age, I could out-drive half of the NASCAR drivers.  I’m not bragging. It is a simple,, (SIMPLE), learned skill.

PERIOD.

The tough par is learning how to cheat and lie, and hiring good mechanics, who are loyal. and actually are working for you and not sabotaging  you.

Nothing beats high school football

6 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

EMBARRASS myself? ?

Not Hardly!!

Given a truckload of cash and a practice car.....even at MY age, I could out-drive half of the NASCAR drivers.  I’m not bragging. It is a simple,, (SIMPLE), learned skill.

PERIOD.

The tough par is learning how to cheat and lie, and hiring good mechanics, who are loyal. and actually are working for you and not sabotaging  you.

I’ve known dozens of people who believed the same thing, spent truckloads of money, went to driving schools, and did their dead level best, and they still couldn’t compete on the level we’re talking about!!

Driving at that level requires instincts and reflexes along with a certain mentality that one in a hundred thousand might have!!

I’m damned good behind a wheel and was competitive on a local level in both drag racing and sports cars. I only dabbled in stock cars for a short time and never had a real opportunity to run top quality equipment or make the weekly programs because I was being paid to run a five and sometimes six car drag racing team, but rubbing elbows with some of the greats in NASCAR and NHRA, I saw that difference that puts a very few so far ahead of the rest!!

The difference between competent and competitive is that combination that can’t be bought or learned!

Numerous world class professional athletes have tried their hands at top tier auto racing. They had sponsorship and their own money as well at equipment supplied by the best builders and teams and STILL couldn’t compete.

Perhaps you could, as you say, spend the money and do the work required to reach that level.  I’m not gonna say that you can’t.  But in my experience, those drivers are more rare than honest politicians and that natural, (or I should say “unnatural”) talent isn’t something you can learn!

SO watching a bunch of overpaid nancy boys play catch, or dribble, or run knowing they are a bunch of criminals and whine about how little they are paid is better than NASCAR? Or any other sport. 

Hey let's all take a knee and listen to the "Black" national anthem!

Ike

Archived