SASS Wire Forum

Vive la France

Sedalia Dave

Occasionally we make fun of them but I would like to raise a glass to our brother in arms, the French. Thanks to their support we were able to secure our independence.

French Alliance, French Assistance, and European Diplomacy during the American Revolution, 1778–1782

Between 1778 and 1782 the French provided supplies, arms and ammunition, uniforms, and, most importantly, troops and naval support to the beleaguered Continental Army. The French navy transported reinforcements, fought off a British fleet, and protected Washington’s forces in Virginia. French assistance was crucial in securing the British surrender at Yorktown in 1781.

I hope they love us too.  We helped them twice in the 20th Century, in the first and second German wars. 

Once, their then president, Charles DE Gaulle, made the statement that he wanted all the Americans to go home.  Someone replied to that statement from the American cemetery in Normandy, and stated that: "not all Americans CAN go home".  That shut him up.

Our first "world war", so to speak, was against the French, in the French and Indian War, that preceded the American Revolution. 

The French came to our aid, later on, with muskets, material, and later with their navy, and with their support, and with our super loyal French brother, that loved us, Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier....better known as: Marquis de Lafayette. 

On July 4, 1917, the then Lt. Colonel Charles Stanton, of the United States Army, visited Lafayette's grave, and made the famous statement:

"Lafayette, we are here.". 

We came back on June 6, 1944, to help them, and us, again...as we all know. 

Yes....by all means.  Vive La France!

W.K.      

A few years ago Babygirl's FIL was able to return to France in celebration of D-Day.  He'd already been awarded a Legion D'honneur and the Croix de Guerre.  She said he was treated like a rock star.

I have a distant ancestor who came from France.  He was shipwrecked off the Delmarva Peninsula and had to swim a considerable distance to get here.  He fought under Napoleon in France, and after my ancestor became a US citizen in 1811, he enlisted in the Brandywine Rangers and fought for America in the War of 1812.  Good thing he was a good swimmer or I wouldn't be here.

Archived