SASS Wire Forum

Marlin one piece firing pin - which is best?

Steve in Allentown

I'm in the process of tuning up a Marlin and will be replacing the OEM two piece firing pin with a one piece firing pin.  These appear to be manufactured by several companies and are available from a number of vendors.  I have no direct experience with these and so am turning to your collective experience to point me to the best one piece firing pin currently available.  It'll be going into an early 336 (no cross bolt safety).  I have no use for a titanium version and would prefer carbon steel over stainless steel.

Thanks for your reply.  I've found two places that sell one piece firing pins for the 336.  I don't know if they're quality parts or if one is better than the other.

https://www.longhunt.com/storelh/index.php?route=product/product&path=88_93&product_id=231

http://www.pioneergunworks.com/marlin-rifle-parts/

Yup, both are great companies that support SASS and stand by their products very well. 

It appears that the Pioneer is the better deal as it also includes the upgraded springs.

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, here's my product review of the Pioneer Gun Works one piece firing pin kit for a Marlin 336.

Pretty simple.  It arrived in the mail promptly, all parts were inspected and found to be well made, installation was simple, and range testing was uneventful.  Replacing the two piece firing pin with this one piece firing pin allowed for a safe, light trigger pull (less than 3lbs), and solid firing pin hits on the primers with no misfires due to light primer hits.  I enthusiastically recommend this product.

Here are the contents of the package that arrived:

PwtWGjP.jpg

Archived